Author Topic: Cleveland Indians are dropping their name...  (Read 29872 times)

Re: Cleveland Indians are dropping their name...
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 09:28:00 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Remarkable to me that so many millions of people who hate this country and everything it stands for remain here!  I think the best money our government could ever spend would to give free "one way" airfare to everyone that wants out!

Baseball may be America's game but this is taking it a tad too literally I would think.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 09:54:40 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
As with most moves made by professional sports franchises this is about the money.

Anything that could cause a team negative PR is being done away with because it could end up costing the team money. I see moves like this as the the market exerting it's will (companies moving away from things that could cause negative revenue).

In addition to removing a potential negative pr sitution, the Cleveland team will have an entirely new line of merchandise to sell. Overall it seems like a financially sound move.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 10:02:13 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Remarkable to me that so many millions of people who hate this country and everything it stands for remain here!  I think the best money our government could ever spend would to give free "one way" airfare to everyone that wants out!

There isn't anything wrong with identifying the negatives in the countries past and trying to correct them. Every time conservatives are in power, we hear a lot of "if you don't like it you can get out". Then anytime democrats are in power all the conservatives do is bring up negatives. Both sides seem to have similar sentiment when the other side is in power and I promise you neither side is just going to get on a one way ticket somewhere else.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 10:07:14 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Can we say the same thing about all the people whiney about a "rigged election"? If they don't like the result, leave.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 10:34:56 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Yes!  If someone really hates this country and everything it stands for then by all means they probably should get out. 

|If you love this country and things is stands for like diversity of thought, democracy, free press, representative government (and the healthy debate that results from representative government) and a process for peaceful change, etc. then you may want to stay and work for change if there are things you don't like.  I think that's at least part of what America stands for.

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 12:15:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Everybody stay on topic, please.  “Political correctness” is a part of this, but people hating America, the election, etc. are not.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
To more accurately reflect the current sports landscape of Cleveland in the present day, may I suggest the Cleveland Thank Goodness LeBron Was Born Here-eses.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 01:41:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The Cleveland River Fires?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Trying to keep everybody happy with the naming of the team's mascot reminds me of the naming of the New England Blizzard, the name of Hartford's women's basketball team in the short lived ABL (they had a dunk contest and were better than the WNBA but didn't have the bankroll!)

Hartford got a team (thanks to the success of UConn women) and of course they gladly engaged the community by soliciting team names from the public, eventually settling on "Blizzard."

Any who, I remember reading an op-ed in the Hartford Courant about how terrible of a name that was, something along the lines of "why should fans constantly be reminded of the harsh winters that can cause destruction and take lives and instead the team should have been named after a positive trait!"

I still roll my eyes thinking about that 25 years later, but a reminder of how you're never going to keep everybody happy.

Personally, when the New Orleans Pelicans changed their name, I thought it was stupid and sounded terrible (Pelicans just doesn't flow off the tongue), but now that I'm used to it seems normal.  I'm sure whatever Cleveland goes with will sound weird at first and have detractors, but will eventually sound normal.

And although I understand why you move away from something seen as a racist caricature, I'll definitely miss the cartoony look I grew up with.  Not just Cleveland, but Reds, Orioles, Padres, White Sox all had more of a cartoon style, even the non-character logos of Brewers, Expos, and Mets all seemed like they had more of a cartoony style to me.  Definitely miss that style.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 04:43:19 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2020, 02:15:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Good.

I think it's generally better to avoid reducing to a mascot a group of people that were killed / cleared out in order to make room for the current state established on the same land.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2020, 03:41:22 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They’ll be using the Indians name for the upcoming season. So apparently it’s offensive but not offensive enough for immediate change due to potential profit loss from merchandise sales and angry fans:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30519665/owner-paul-dolan-says-cleveland-indians-keep-name-2021-season

There’s no timetable as to when they’ll change.

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2020, 03:45:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
They’ll be using the Indians name for the upcoming season. So apparently it’s offensive but not offensive enough for immediate change due to potential profit loss from merchandise sales and angry fans:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30519665/owner-paul-dolan-says-cleveland-indians-keep-name-2021-season

I guess they didn’t want to be known as the Cleveland Baseball Team.

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2020, 03:48:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know a team in a different sport owns this name but the Cleveland Lakers makes sense. Right?!?!

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2020, 04:08:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

You know there are going to be a whole lot of commemorative "Last Year of the Indians" merch.

Yup

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2020, 04:14:22 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I like the Spiders moniker but I can understand the pushback against that.

The 1899 team is generally regarded as the worst baseball team of all time. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team