Author Topic: Celtics 2020 Draft picks  (Read 56361 times)

Re: Celtics 2020 Draft picks
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If we could land Vernon Carey with this year's Memphis pick, I'd be pretty happy with that.  He seems like a guy who could be an effective starter playing off the ball in the NBA.  We're looking pretty good for guards/ball handlers (Kemba, Smart, Carsen, Waters, maybe Wanamaker comes back) and wings (Jaylen, Jayson, Gordon, Romeo, Semi) for the forseeable future.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 05:05:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I just don't think Memphis is conveying the pick this year unless they hit on the lottery.  There are just too many awful teams and too many bad teams, especially in the East.  The Hawks, Cavs, Knicks, and Wizards are just atrocious.  They all will probably start selling off veterans soon.  I think Detroit is going to sell off anyone they can as the current group obviously doesn't work.  Charlotte is just bad and I do think the Hornets might finally decide to go full on tank.  The Bulls are just young, but are terrible.  Now the west is a bit different as the Warriors should get better if Curry comes back (though maybe he doesn't come back).  The Pelicans should be better with Zion, but they also might go into selling mode and finally move Jrue (among others), which might counteract Zion's bump.  The Kings, Suns, and Wolves are all just bad teams.  Memphis could easily finish better than all of them. 

Of course, as I said in another thread, the Grizzlies probably win the lottery, take Wiseman and then make the playoffs next year with Wiseman, Jackson, and Morant as their core.   That would be the C's luck.
this seems contradictory -- is this what you meant?  if Memphis 'hits the lottery', the pick does not convey.

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 10:19:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I just don't think Memphis is conveying the pick this year unless they hit on the lottery.  There are just too many awful teams and too many bad teams, especially in the East.  The Hawks, Cavs, Knicks, and Wizards are just atrocious.  They all will probably start selling off veterans soon.  I think Detroit is going to sell off anyone they can as the current group obviously doesn't work.  Charlotte is just bad and I do think the Hornets might finally decide to go full on tank.  The Bulls are just young, but are terrible.  Now the west is a bit different as the Warriors should get better if Curry comes back (though maybe he doesn't come back).  The Pelicans should be better with Zion, but they also might go into selling mode and finally move Jrue (among others), which might counteract Zion's bump.  The Kings, Suns, and Wolves are all just bad teams.  Memphis could easily finish better than all of them. 

Of course, as I said in another thread, the Grizzlies probably win the lottery, take Wiseman and then make the playoffs next year with Wiseman, Jackson, and Morant as their core.   That would be the C's luck.
this seems contradictory -- is this what you meant?  if Memphis 'hits the lottery', the pick does not convey.
yeah I meant I don't think they are keeping the pick unless they hit the lottery.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:28:47 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 12:40:34 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
With 2 late 1st rounders I hope Danny takes a shot at Markus Howard. He's still putting up insane numbers so he could take Edwards spot if he doesn't improve on his summer league performance and expectations. I am VERY surprised at how many open looks Edwards gets and misses (not that he gets minutes anymore). Did not see that coming as he always drained open shots from deep in college and SL. This Howard kid could turn out to be like IT4. He has a more diverse offensive game than Edwards.

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 02:54:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
That Memphis pick is looking more and more like the Kings' pic last year.  Bummer.  Was hoping it would either be 7-10 or roll over to '21.  Now it looks like bottom of Lotto, 14. 

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2020, 02:59:25 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
That Memphis pick is looking more and more like the Kings' pic last year.  Bummer.  Was hoping it would either be 7-10 or roll over to '21.  Now it looks like bottom of Lotto, 14.
In an underwhelming draft like this maybe the best player(s) is in the middle. Lets hope Danny gets lucky finally lol

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2020, 03:09:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Standings as of 1/9/20 -  will try to update weekly

Memphis pick tied #13—  (tied with Portland — last spot in the lottery with Portland) (protected top 6 )
                   Games Behind    Current Wins   Games Left   Last 10
Phoenix                   1.5                   14                    45              3-7
Sacramento             1.0                  15                     44              3-7
Minnesota                1.0                  14                    46              4-6
Memphis                ---                   16                     44              6-4
Portland                   ---                  16                     45               4-6

-->  tie with Portland for the last 2 spots in the lottery.  only a game behind SA for that last playoff spot.  will not jinx us by adding SA to the standing list yet. 

Boston Pick #27  — tied with Denver in terms of games over .500 but C’s have the higher winning %
                   Games Behind    Current Wins     Games Left    Last 10
Utah                      1.5                   25                      45                9-1
LA Clippers              1.0                  26                     44                6-4
Houston                 1.0                   25                     46                 8-2
Denver                   ---                   26                     45                7-3
Boston                  ---                    25                     47                7-3
Miami                    +1.0                  27                     45                8-2

-->C's pick might drop a bit if they don’t get it together in the next week.  a lot of hot teams around their pick right now.

Bucks Pick #30   -- (protected  top 7) 
Milwaukee                  —                     31                     46                8-2

-->  no change.  Lakers are within 2 games but unless they get closer, I’m just going to post the Bucks for this pick.

Second Rounders:
Boston 57 (protected 31-53)  — fair chance the C’s get to keep this pick

Brooklyn 45 (least favorable of Brooklyn/Knicks — currently Brooklyn)

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 10:18:04 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Yeah, and their schedule doesn't get any tougher until February, where they could/will lose quite a few games. Hopefully by then Morant, with his slight frame, will hit the rookie wall. Though I gotta say, the rookie wall thing is a little overrated. At his age I used to work construction and then after work we would all go and play some pick-up ball. I had energy up the wazoo back then. And these guys are in wayyyyy better shape.

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 10:22:16 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Too early to say the Memphis pick will fall out of the top 10.

A lot of changes usually happen after the trade deadline.

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2020, 02:17:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Standings as of 1/23/20 -  will try to update weekly — missed last week unfortunately

Memphis pick tied #14—  (last spot in the lottery) (protected top 6 )
Phoenix                   2.0                   18                   38              5-5
Portland                  1.5                    19                   37             5-5
Memphis                ---                    20                   38             7-3
San Antonio             +0.5                 20                   39              6-4

—>  Memphis climbed into the playoffs for a bit so this pick looking like it might end up late lottery at best — like the Sac pick last year.  Would have thought Minny and Portland at least would be passing these guys.  NO might make a run at them if Zion’s healthy now.  Disappointed Sac hasn’t been better than them too.

Boston Pick #23
Philly                     1.5                   29                      36                6-4
Indiana                 1.0                    29                      37                7-3
Boston                  ---                    29                     39                4-6
Denver                  +0.5                  30                     38                6-4
Toronto                 +0.5                  30                     38                 7-3
La Clippers             +1.0                 31                     37                 7-3   

-->C's pick dropped when they underperformed the past couple of weeks.  still very much in a clump of teams where a hot or cold week could shake up their draft slot.

Milwaukee                  —                     39                     37                9-1

-->  no change.  I’m just going to post the Bucks for this pick until someone gets within hailing distance of them.

Second Rounders:
Boston 53 (protected 31-53)  — C’s now keeping the pick

Brooklyn 44 (least favorable of Brooklyn/Knicks — currently Brooklyn)

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2020, 02:36:02 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Keep an eye on Kylor Kelley. He's a deep draft guy, but he's a guy I legit think can play at the NBA level.

Legit 7 footer with good length and good athleticism. He's no Robert Williams, but he's fluid and rangy. Seems to have a good stroke on his shot.

Averaging 11 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 blocks in 27 minutes per game.

He's still learning his body. He reminds a lot of Meyers Leonard, who never really developed into his athleticism like I thought he should.

He has his warts, otherwise he'd be in on everyone's draft board, but I think the kid can develop.

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 03:03:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Anyone got intel on Amar Sylla? Reminds me of raw Siakam. Would love to draft a guy like that.

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2020, 03:04:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2020, 01:30:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Standings as of 1/30/20 -  will try to update weekly

Memphis pick tied #17—  (last playoff spot in the West) (protected top 6 )
San Antonio            2.5                   21                   35              5-5
Memphis               ---                    24                   34              8-2

—>  Memphis climbed into the playoffs playoffs and is getting comfy in that last spot which sucks for us.  very disappointed in West teams that should have been a lot better this year than they have ==> SA, Portland, Minny, GSW, Sac.  3 of those teams should have better records.  To add to that misery, Memphis is doing better than the 7 & 8 seeds in the East to further muck up the pick.

Boston Pick #23
Philly                     1.0                   31                      34               7-3
Indiana                  1.0                   31                      34               8-2
Boston                  ---                   31                      36               6-4
Denver                  +0.5                 32                      35               6-4
Miami                    +0.5                 32                      35               5-5
Utah                      +0.5                 32                      35               7-3
LA Clippers            +1.0                  33                     35                8-2
Toronto                  +1.0                 33                      35               9-1

-->C's stabilized at 23 for the week.  lots of teams right around them where a good or bad week by any of them will have an impact on their draft slot.

Milwaukee                  —                      41                     35                9-1

-->  no change.  I’m just going to post the Bucks for this pick until someone gets within hailing distance of them.

Second Rounders:
Boston 53 (protected 31-53)  — C’s now keeping the pick

Brooklyn 43 (least favorable of Brooklyn/Knicks — currently Brooklyn)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:48:51 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2020, 01:52:12 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Thanks for legwork, Slam....TP

I really wonder what the Celtics would do with three new guys?

After adding:

Edwards
Grant
Langford
Waters

last year, adding three more sounds like trades, stashes, swaps, cuts and burns.

Whenever I look at these bigs on the draft boards? I just see Robert Williams over and over again. "We already have this guy." Ok, he's injured all the time.

Wanamaker - out
Poirier - out
???- out