Author Topic: Drafting for the Pelicans - how does it work, and who will they want?  (Read 1558 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
So its an almost certainty that Ainge will be drafting for the New Orleans trade package.

What kind of players will New Orleans be looking for? As long as they're high upside prospects, then were good and the position won't matter as New Orleans is likely looking at rebuilding

Ainge has the luxury of possibly being able to trade up depending on the quantity and location of the picks... That also helps out Ainge here

With the Sactown pick in the 10-14 range, we can pick up someone like Romeo Langford hopefully.

Then with the Clips pick in the 18-19 area we can hopefully nab Bol Bol. If not him, Garland, kevin porter, or Jontay Porter

Will New Orleans be directing Ainge a list of who they would prefer? Would that reveal too much about their draft strategy?  This whole thing is complex

I do think with the draft picks we have we can nab them 2 solid prospects. The first 20 or so picks are decent.

Tatum+Smart+Langford+Bol+Williams + memphis pick + 2020 Celtics pick

New orleans Center rotation would then be
Williams, Bol, okafor which isn't bad. If not Bol we can make it Jontay Porter. The lineup can be highly versatile with mix of rim protector and  versatile centers

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:10:06 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Drafting for the Pelicans - how does it work, and who will they want?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 01:42:14 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
So its an almost certainty that Ainge will be drafting for the New Orleans trade package.

What kind of players will New Orleans be looking for? As long as they're high upside prospects, then were good and the position won't matter as New Orleans is likely looking at rebuilding

With the Sactown pick in the 10-14 range, we can pick up someone like Romeo Langford hopefully.

Then with the Clips pick in the 18-19 area we can hopefully nab Bol Bol. If not him, Garland, kevin porter, or Jontay Porter

Will New Orleans be directing Ainge a list of who they would prefer? Would that reveal too much about their draft strategy?  This whole thing is complex

I do think with the draft picks we have we can nab them 2 solid prospects. The first 20 or so picks are decent.

Williams, Bol, okafor which isn't bad. If not Bol we can make it Jontay Porter. The lineup can be highly versatile with mix of rim protector and  versatile centers

It was my understanding we only got the clippers pick if they made the playoffs. After dumping Harris and Bradley that’s not really going to happen anymore. As for the Kings pick, the absolute best case scenario now seems to be 13 or 14. All the teams out west they were competing with like the pelicans, grizzlies and Mavericks offloaded key players and are no longer trying for post season. I hate to admit this cause it sucks but things did not go our way. On positive end. The grizzlies got no prospect for Gasol and that pick is only improving in value

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 01:58:12 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

It was my understanding we only got the clippers pick if they made the playoffs. After dumping Harris and Bradley that’s not really going to happen anymore. As for the Kings pick, the absolute best case scenario now seems to be 13 or 14. All the teams out west they were competing with like the pelicans, grizzlies and Mavericks offloaded key players and are no longer trying for post season. I hate to admit this cause it sucks but things did not go our way. On positive end. The grizzlies got no prospect for Gasol and that pick is only improving in value
it'll be interesting if Ainge can keep What looks like a highly valuable  pick

"Want Tatum? Then we can only offer the other picks."

If he can't figure out a way to keep the pick its not a huge deal, but that pick could net us another valuable player whether its the draft or in a trade as well

I'm probably being really greedy though lol. We will have to pay big for Davis. Keeping the clippers pick or even Williams would be a nice consolation prize of Ainge can wheel and deal
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:08:23 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:13:31 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
In terms of pick value in an AD trade, the picks deferring is always the best scenario here. Teams like doing their own research, historically when a team makes a pick the value goes down.

I'd like the Mem and Clips picks to roll over, the Sac pick along with our own is enough in this draft

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 07:19:23 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Since they sold out their last 6 first rounders before drafting them, maybe they'll say: "Draft whoever you think is the best, we know nothing of this draft thing. It is rather complicated when you can't pick 1st."
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 04:02:13 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Since they sold out their last 6 first rounders before drafting them, maybe they'll say: "Draft whoever you think is the best, we know nothing of this draft thing. It is rather complicated when you can't pick 1st."

;D

Earned a TP with that joke.