Author Topic: Could Jaren Jackson warrant a trade into this draft if no LA pick  (Read 4592 times)

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
It is still early in the season to be to worried about lottery position and mock drafts however Jaren Jackson going 5/6 from 3 with 3 blocks last night in only 16 min last night vs Maryland has me thinking.

Lets say the Lakers pick isn't 2-5.

The projected top 5 is currently Ayton, Bagely, Doncic, Bamba, Young and the 6th is Porter if healthy. After that I see Sexton Bridges and Jackson going as the next 3.

The question is do the Cs try to use the Kings 2019 pick to grab the 6th-8th and draft Jackson?

He is one of the youngest members of the class, is an elite shot blocker and is proving to be an exceptional shooter. At 6'10 with a 7'4 wingspan and a frame that appears capable of bulking up he could be an ideal 5/4 to develop behind and next to Horford.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:12:40 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Could Jaren Jackson warrant a trade into this draft is no LA pick
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 09:10:07 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
No offense to Jaren, but he's got "solid role player" written all over him. Which i guess is fine for picks 6-10.
Unlikely he'll jump into the top 5 with Sexton and Young playing so well.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 09:10:53 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
The guy I want in this class is Wendell Carter. I could see Ainge using our pick to trade down, bag Carter and get yet another asset.

Side note: I watched Ayton for the first time last night. Wow! He has superstar written all over him.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:19:02 AM by td450 »

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:17:04 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
No offense to Jaren, but he's got "solid role player" written all over him. Which i guess is fine for picks 6-10.

I will agree that he may lack the go to offense to be more then a role player but if his shot carries out to the NBA 3 he will provide the most coveted role player skill set in the modern NBA. In the mold of Ibaka Jackson may be able to provide both high level rim protection and floor spacing from the 5/4 positions. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:25:55 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
The guy I want in this class is Wendell Carter. I could see Ainge using our pick to trade down, bag Carter and get yet another asset.

If the Cs land the Lakers pick 2-5 I would be shocked to see him trade down. Carter is a very interesting prospect who should be a really solid pro. He just isnt at the level of the players projected to go in the top 5. Ainge has proven in the past (Rozier pick) that he will go with talent over fit and trading down for Carter would be a fit move.

I will say that along the same lines as this threads title I wouldn't be surprised to see DA use future assets, the Cs own pick this year, and maybe Yabu to get Carter. He and Jackson both fit a need on the roster and could be developed into key future contributors. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Could Jaren Jackson warrant a trade into this draft if no LA pick
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
It is still early in the season to be to worried about lottery position and mock drafts however Jaren Jackson going 5/6 from 3 with 3 blocks last night in only 16 min last night vs Maryland has me thinking.

Lets say the Lakers pick isn't 2-5.

The projected top 5 is currently Ayton, Bagely, Doncic, Bamba, Young and the 6th is Porter if healthy. After that I see Sexton Bridges and Jackson going as the next 3.

The question is do the Cs try to use the Kings 2019 pick to grab the 6th-8th and draft Jackson?

He is one of the youngest members of the class, is an elite shot blocker and is proving to be an exceptional shooter. At 6'10 with a 7'4 wingspan and a frame that appears capable of bulking up he could be an ideal 5/4 to develop behind and next to Horford.

I'm on board.

I've been watching Jackson all year.

MSU gets as lot of TV time, not just on BTN, but nationally too because of Jackson, Miles Bridges and Izzo.

Kids a stud who also can run the floor and finish. Scary prospect who could jump into the top 5-6 because of his length, athleticism and age.

Think of him as a less jacked Giannis who can shoot. Handles the ball pretty well for a player his size.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

If the Cs land the Lakers pick 2-5 I would be shocked to see him trade down. Carter is a very interesting prospect who should be a really solid pro. He just isnt at the level of the players projected to go in the top 5. Ainge has proven in the past (Rozier pick) that he will go with talent over fit and trading down for Carter would be a fit move.

I will say that along the same lines as this threads title I wouldn't be surprised to see DA use future assets, the Cs own pick this year, and maybe Yabu to get Carter. He and Jackson both fit a need on the roster and could be developed into key future contributors.

I could see Ainge trading down from 5 if the top 4 are Bagley, Doncic, Ayton, and Bamba, and Porter’s medicals are concerning (or cause him to drop out of the draft).  Trae Young seems like a kid some team would love to jump up to get, but at the same time another team might be more concerned about his ability to translate to the NBA.  If a team in the 7-10 range were one of the former and Ainge is one of the latter, then it’s not impossible.  There’s a lot of ifs in that paragraph though, and I wouldn’t expect him to trade out of the top 4.

As for Carter, I’m a huge fan.  If he were picked at 5 I would call it an overdraft, but also defensible.  I’d love to trade our 2018 pick, the better of the Clippers pick and our 2019 pick, and Yabusele to get him.  Can’t see it happening, realistically, but I can hope.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 11:09:05 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I could see Ainge trading down from 5 if the top 4 are Bagley, Doncic, Ayton, and Bamba, and Porter’s medicals are concerning (or cause him to drop out of the draft).  Trae Young seems like a kid some team would love to jump up to get, but at the same time another team might be more concerned about his ability to translate to the NBA.  If a team in the 7-10 range were one of the former and Ainge is one of the latter, then it’s not impossible.  There’s a lot of ifs in that paragraph though, and I wouldn’t expect him to trade out of the top 4.

As for Carter, I’m a huge fan.  If he were picked at 5 I would call it an overdraft, but also defensible.  I’d love to trade our 2018 pick, the better of the Clippers pick and our 2019 pick, and Yabusele to get him.  Can’t see it happening, realistically, but I can hope.

I'll give it to you that with the 5th pick, Porter not healthy and only Young left on the board then I would suspect DA to trade down. Trading down would have to come at a high cost caused by a bidding war. At the same time if DA's price isn't met I have know doubt he would draft Young and leave it to BS to figure out.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 11:19:33 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The problem with this idea is that teams are very reluctant to trade a high pick in a pending draft for a high pick in a future draft.  Usually that team sucks, which is why it has a high draft pick, and is under intense pressure to get someone in the current draft.  Look what Ainge got from Philly just to trade down 2 spots last season? And is there another GM who would have had the guts to do that? Doubtful.  Look what Michael Jordan was offered by Ainge a couple of years ago, and declined. Team GM's do a lot scouting of drafts and inevitably fall in love with someone they can get, and are loathe to trade it away for some future pick the value of which can be beaten up very easily (the 2019 draft already considered weaker than 2018 draft, and SAC could pull an BKLN and climb in standings by 2019).

I doubt this could be pulled off.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 12:40:02 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

What do you see in Carter?  To me he looks.like a traditional 4, something of a dying breed.  Something like Millsap as an upside?

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 12:58:50 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

What do you see in Carter?  To me he looks.like a traditional 4, something of a dying breed.  Something like Millsap as an upside?

Wendell Carter is 6'10 and 260 with a 7'3 wingspan, so he's quite a bit bigger than Milsap, and could play center as well as power forward. He's quick off the floor and smart. He can shoot and make decisions. He has a nice jump hook and finishes easily inside. Very clever and efficient two way player. He's ahead of Jackson with his overall offensive skills, and 5 months younger.

I think he could be a lot like Al Horford.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 08:43:06 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Original Poster: Yes, Jaren Jackson could warrant a trade into the draft. Depending on where the pick falls, he might even warrant us taking him with the Lakers pick (if it falls 4-5). I am not a fan of a Doncic pick and I hope he stays near the top of the draft. Of the two bigs, I like Ayton.

All this depends on where the ping pong balls fall.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I want to correct myself. He's definitely in the top 5 for me, slightly above mo bamba now.
i can no longer deny 3 blocks a game at 44% 3pt shooting.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 06:19:06 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
So Jaren Jackson is basically a Serge Ibaka type of player?  Is that worth giving up a top 5 pick?

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 06:25:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So Jaren Jackson is basically a Serge Ibaka type of player?  Is that worth giving up a top 5 pick?
Prime Serge Ibaka was a 15/8 guy with 2.5 blocks with really good shooting. That’s not a bad deal
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)