Author Topic: Doc: "We have to find the right combo or some people have to go"  (Read 30287 times)

Re: Doc: "We have to find the right combo or some people have to go"
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Doc's right, the biggest hole, the only hole this team has on paper is a rim-defending, rebounding 5. This team just isn't getting it done consistently, and on paper it should be.

I agree, although I think that the other hole the team has is a young horse to carry the load on offense on a consistent basis. 

Pierce is having a good season and is one of the top scorers in the league, but the consistency isn't there -- which is definitely understandable at his age.

Going into this season, I think the hope was that Rondo would step up and carry some of that burden to make it easier, scoring more like 15-16 points a night instead of 12-13, and perhaps more importantly, giving the team consistent double digit scoring on efficient shooting the vast majority of the time.  Unfortunately, that just hasn't really happened.  To be fair, I think that's probably just not his game.

That was the hope. After the Miami series it should have been.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Expecting some rumors tomorrow!

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 11:22:34 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I hope! :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 11:24:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It seemed like Danny's goal this summer was to sign as many quality players as possible so we did have trade chips. Unfortunately, most of those players aren't panning out and their contracts are too long, so they actually have negative trade value [see Bass, Terry, and maybe Green]. Signing Terry at the time seemed like a great move, but in hindsight, it seems a little unbelievable we didn't give that same contract to a guy like Mayo.

I really don't know what is going to happen with Terry. He was pretty psyched to come here, but he just isn't the same player he used to be. Sending him off so quickly sends a bad message to other veterans thinking of Boston as a destination, but he and Bass are the obvious choices to trade away.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:30:33 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 11:29:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I hope! :)

Second year in a row that we're pining away on trade rumor season. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 11:31:23 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
I love me some rumors. I will be upset if it has to do with Rondo,KG,Pierce,Or sully. I really like Sully and what he is doing anyone else that could net us something big please by all means do it! I love AB but if we could get a legit big in a deal involving him I would have to say do it.

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 11:31:33 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I think trying to determine who does and doesn't take losing "the right way" is little more than biased speculation.  "Terry is playing poorly and I don't like it, therefore he must be a problem in the locker room." 

Honestly, everybody on this team has the reputation of being a great team player, to a fault in some cases.  So if there's truly a rift in the locker room that goes deeper than frustration due to losing more than the team should, then I'll be surprised regardless of who ends up being at fault.  Personally, I think any divide is just a byproduct of losing.

Time is running out on this team's opportunity to prove that it can get it done.  The trade deadline is coming up.  Either they flip the switch and start playing games the right way, or some people will be wearing new uniforms a month from now.  Everybody on this team has shown flashes of being the player we thought we were getting, but they haven't gelled for an extended stretch of games yet.   They have a month left to do it.  Let's just wait and see what happens.

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 11:37:12 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
I think trying to determine who does and doesn't take losing "the right way" is little more than biased speculation.  "Terry is playing poorly and I don't like it, therefore he must be a problem in the locker room." 

Honestly, everybody on this team has the reputation of being a great team player, to a fault in some cases.  So if there's truly a rift in the locker room that goes deeper than frustration due to losing more than the team should, then I'll be surprised regardless of who ends up being at fault.  Personally, I think any divide is just a byproduct of losing.

Time is running out on this team's opportunity to prove that it can get it done.  The trade deadline is coming up.  Either they flip the switch and start playing games the right way, or some people will be wearing new uniforms a month from now.  Everybody on this team has shown flashes of being the player we thought we were getting, but they haven't gelled for an extended stretch of games yet.   They have a month left to do it.  Let's just wait and see what happens.

No i think Terry gets a bad rap cause In a number of losses this season fans see him laughing it up on the bench. Me as a fan if I don't wanna see you giggiling over something like that. AND to add to it he is playing bad. Yes if he was coming off the bench doing his thing and playing well a lot of people would give him a pass but he isn't. He came in talking a huge game and has not backed it up what so ever. Listen I want JET to do really well here cause I love him as a player always have, but when your down 15 and laughing on the bench.. I am just not to big on that.

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 11:51:22 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
No i think Terry gets a bad rap cause In a number of losses this season fans see him laughing it up on the bench. Me as a fan if I don't wanna see you giggiling over something like that. AND to add to it he is playing bad. Yes if he was coming off the bench doing his thing and playing well a lot of people would give him a pass but he isn't. He came in talking a huge game and has not backed it up what so ever. Listen I want JET to do really well here cause I love him as a player always have, but when your down 15 and laughing on the bench.. I am just not to big on that.

Would you prefer that he go into the locker room and kick the crap out of a trash can?  Does it really matter?  At the end of the day, they still lost.  I don't really care how he takes it.  There's no such thing as losing the right way.

I think the idea of a "clubhouse cancer" is greatly overblown.  You never hear about this stuff on good teams.  The problem is losing when they're good enough to win, not the fact that Terry isn't sulking visibly enough.

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 11:52:33 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I hate to see that, but it's pretty common. You don't see Rondo or KG doig that, but if pierce was doing it, it wouldn't shock me. JET may not be 'playing the right way' or he may not be part of the problem at all. Getting caught laughing on the bench during the loss isn't really an indicator either way though.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 11:58:14 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen

Would you prefer that he go into the locker room and kick the crap out of a trash can?  Does it really matter?  At the end of the day, they still lost.  I don't really care how he takes it.  There's no such thing as losing the right way.

I think the idea of a "clubhouse cancer" is greatly overblown.  You never hear about this stuff on good teams.  The problem is losing when they're good enough to win, not the fact that Terry isn't sulking visibly enough.

I'm not saying Terry is a cancer in the locker room. I am saying that I hate seeing players taking a loss so lightly. Pierce as well. Even though I can let it go with him cause he is actually doing his job. Listen Terry is great and not saying he needs to be a hard you know what and be in everyone's face but for his first year and Boston and talked so highly about how were going to take everyone down but then is laughing as we get beat by the pistons by double digits.. Just doesn't sit well with people.

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 11:58:43 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Even Doc is craving some cathartic roster turnover right now.

But I've yet to see a realistic trade rumor or proposal that drastically changes the makeup of this team.

Jeff Green + Terry for Gortat + ? would make a difference
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2013, 12:05:56 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone is getting mad..maybe now the forum will stop saying we need to wait or that the season is too yong to ask for signs of life from this team.

It is clear now that KG and AB are our MVPs, we should build around those two with Rondo and Sully, save Pierce for old time sake, then ship anyone else out that can get us what we need.

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2013, 12:16:20 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders

I'm not saying Terry is a cancer in the locker room. I am saying that I hate seeing players taking a loss so lightly. Pierce as well. Even though I can let it go with him cause he is actually doing his job. Listen Terry is great and not saying he needs to be a hard you know what and be in everyone's face but for his first year and Boston and talked so highly about how were going to take everyone down but then is laughing as we get beat by the pistons by double digits.. Just doesn't sit well with people.

I'm not trying to defend Terry here.  He's in the middle of an awful slump and he hasn't been the difference-maker we signed him to be.  But my issue with him is his play, not his attitude.  Different people have different personalities.  I don't care how he acts, I just care that he produces.

Also, if you're coming down on Terry, then I don't see why Pierce gets a pass.  Over this three-game skid, Pierce is averaging 11.7 points on 15-43 shooting, including 1-11 from deep and 4-7 from the line.  He's rebounding, but he's been awful in every other phase of the game lately.

Even Doc is craving some cathartic roster turnover right now.

But I've yet to see a realistic trade rumor or proposal that drastically changes the makeup of this team.

Jeff Green + Terry for Gortat + ? would make a difference

Leaves us with no backup SF, unless you honestly believe Beasley can do it (I don't).  We need somebody to help Pierce handle guys like LeBron, Melo and Durant.  Lee isn't big enough. 

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2013, 12:17:13 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Look in the mirror Doc............

Said EXACTLY what I was thinking

TP