Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120692 times)

Re: Any Marcus Smart rumors?
« Reply #315 on: July 03, 2018, 07:34:37 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784229-celtics-rumors-marcus-smart-is-bostons-top-priority-in-free-agency

Marcus Smart remains a restricted free agent, but the Boston Celtics reportedly don't want to let him get away.

According to Adam Himmelsbach of the Boston Globe, "Smart's free agency could linger for a while as he waits for a big-money offer. But have been hearing that he absolutely remains the Cs' top priority of the offseason."

Smart, 24, helped the Celtics reach the Eastern Conference Finals with his tenacious defense. While his counting stats don't jump off the page—he averaged 10.2 points, 4.8 assists, 3.5 rebounds and 1.3 steals while shooting only 30.1 percent from three—Smart's ability to guard multiple positions was huge for a Celtics team that thrived on its defense.

With Smart on the court, Boston limited opponents to a meager 99.4 points per 100 possessions, per NBA.com. When he sat, that number rose to 103.0.

Smart's impact on the Celtics defense is one of the reasons they'll likely make a strong push to keep him. And if he improves his perimeter shooting, he'll be an excellent three-and-D option capable of running the point and guarding nearly every position in a pinch.

Given the shrinking number of teams with available cap space, Smart may decide to sign his $6 million qualifying offer and hit unrestricted free agency next year, when the cap will rise and a number of teams should have more money to spend.

Unless an opposing team makes him a strong offer, Smart figures to be back in Boston next year one way or another.

This is all that I've seen on Smart.
This is all you need to know:
1. Smart's value can be seen in defensive stats.  Some people claim it can't be quantified which I don't think is true.
2. He could get his payday next season when many teams will be flush with cash, by taking the QO.  This seems most likely, IMO.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Indiana’s out of the running, Philly too.  ;D

AB just signed for 2year 25m, that's 12.5m/y, should set a market for Smart. AB is a better offensive player, Smart is younger but may have reached his ceiling. so 10m/y for Smart should be fair?

Good sign that AB only got 14M total guaranteed (year 2 is partially gtd)

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Cs are gonna get Smart on qualifying offer at this point

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Been saying for a long time that I thought this would be an awful market for Smart and in it he was probably worth around the non-taxpayers MLE. I would have no problem bringing Smart back at his QO if he thinks he can finally start hitting shots to prove his value is over $10 million a year. I also have no problem returning him on a 4 year $7-8.5 million a year contract.

This is a perfect market for Danny to resign RFAs in. There's no money out there. Danny needs to squeeze Smart some to get a team friendly deal.

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Been saying for a long time that I thought this would be an awful market for Smart and in it he was probably worth around the non-taxpayers MLE. I would have no problem bringing Smart back at his QO if he thinks he can finally start hitting shots to prove his value is over $10 million a year. I also have no problem returning him on a 4 year $7-8.5 million a year contract.

This is a perfect market for Danny to resign RFAs in. There's no money out there. Danny needs to squeeze Smart some to get a team friendly deal.

Agreed.

Also, with so many guys taking 1-year deals (player options, non-guaranteed, etc.), there will be more players on the market next year. It will be another year of market correction.

I don't think Smart is getting "more than 12-14 million" money next year either.

He'd do well to sign his long-term deal at 8 million and enjoy playing for the EC rep in the finals the next 4 years. 

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
I doubt it and I don't know why people view that as a good thing.  If he comes back on the QO he won't be happy, the rest of the team won't view his treatment positively, he could hold a grudge/feel slighted and leave as an unrestricted next year.  Imagine Smart, Irving and Rozier all testing a much larger free agent market next year??

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

DA can squeeze Smart into a 4 year deal starting at $8.6 MM and totaling $38.8 MM that keeps BOS out of the tax. (Assumes Morris stays, Bird is signed at his QO, Monroe and Larkin renounced, and Nader stretched. 15 contracts with 3 new faces. Supposedly there is some league interest in Bird, however, and he's gone if someone makes a better offer.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I doubt it and I don't know why people view that as a good thing.  If he comes back on the QO he won't be happy, the rest of the team won't view his treatment positively, he could hold a grudge/feel slighted and leave as an unrestricted next year.  Imagine Smart, Irving and Rozier all testing a much larger free agent market next year??

Honestly, it's not the team's fault Marcus might not get the deal he wants. They offered an extension and his agent turned it down, saying he could get more in free agency. He actually went on record promising it would cost the team "a lot more money". If anything, Marcus should be mad at his agent for miscalculating the market.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

It doesn't really worry me.  Does it really worry you?

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

It doesn't really worry me.  Does it really worry you?

Seriously. There was less money this year, so this class of free agents all mainly too 1-year deals, which means next years class will have twice as many free agents and a normal amount of money.

Next year will be another correction year.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Pacers sign Tyeke Evans for $12 million.

I haven't done any cap math but that probably crosses them off the list of teams that could offer Smart more than what the Celtics would match (which I'm assuming is around $12-14 mil).
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Pacers sign Tyeke Evans for $12 million.

I haven't done any cap math but that probably crosses them off the list of teams that could offer Smart more than what the Celtics would match (which I'm assuming is around $12-14 mil).

I would say now that Dallas and Indiana don’t have anything but exceptions, they are out of the running.

Who does that leave? Sacramento? Does that make sense for either party?
CELTICS 2024

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not really they're looking for a wing.

He's going to either take the QO or work out some sort of extension with the C's at this point.

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Not really they're looking for a wing.

He's going to either take the QO or work out some sort of extension with the C's at this point.

Sacramento reportedly didn't draft Doncic because they liked Fox as the primary ball-handler. I don't think they would sign Smart to take the ball out of his hands more.

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Can't ever see Smart being much more than he is now. His QO is the best he's going to do. Is he even meeting with anyone?