Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 119945 times)

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I like Smart, but his horrific shooting negates a lot of the good things he does.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
can we re-sign him already! now that LeBron is out of the East, we need him more than ever!

We need Smart more because Lebron is gone?

We need him to help ensure that our odds increase for winning the East now that Lebron is gone. Smart is a better distributor and point guard than Rozier. He also is much better defensively than Rozier. They really need to bring him back (I bet BS agrees).

that is my thought exactly, if LeBron leaving the East opens up the the East for us, if you believe that statement is true we will need Smart's defense and hustle to beat the likes of Houston or GSW or whoever comes out of the West.

Not just going to the finals, we will need Smart to help defend against Philly or Bucks or whoever we will face in the east

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
can we re-sign him already! now that LeBron is out of the East, we need him more than ever!

We need him to help ensure that our odds increase for winning the East now that Lebron is gone. Smart is a better distributor and point guard than Rozier. He also is much better defensively than Rozier. They really need to bring him back (I bet BS agrees).

Our odds increased the moment Lebron left the East.

Smart's a better distributor than Rozier and I'll give you the defense because of his size and switchability, but Rozier is a plus defender and their advanced defensive stats are almost identical. Otherwise, Rozier's a better shooter everywhere on the floor, a better rebounder, and protects the ball much better than Smart who is a turnover machine. As a result, Rozier's Assist/Turnover ratio per 100 possessions is 2.9 to Smart's 2.0. Think Rozier has passed Smart, but I hope Smart comes back at the right price because I keep thinking his shot selection has to improve someday without any evidence that it will.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Is there anyway we can do right by Smart but avoid the Tax by some carefully structured deal going forward?

Sure, trade Marcus Morris.

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Is there anyway we can do right by Smart but avoid the Tax by some carefully structured deal going forward?

I could see that happening regardless of whether they want to stay under the tax or not.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Smart's a better distributor than Rozier and I'll give you the defense because of his size and switchability, but Rozier is a plus defender and their advanced defensive stats are almost identical. Otherwise, Rozier's a better shooter everywhere on the floor, a better rebounder, and protects the ball much better than Smart who is a turnover machine. As a result, Rozier's Assist/Turnover ratio per 100 possessions is 2.9 to Smart's 2.0. Think Rozier has passed Smart, but I hope Smart comes back at the right price because I keep thinking his shot selection has to improve someday without any evidence that it will.

We need both of them at least for this year. Rozier is incapable of playing point. He is still have a poor court vision and not a very good off-ball defender. Not to mention he gets killed on switches and nullifies his defensive capabilities due to positional mismatch. We need Smart more than Rozier because he provides things that Rozier or any scoring guards cannot replace. Not to mention, we already have Kyrie, Tatum and Hayward for scoring load. He's a luxury at this point.

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
Three teams who I presumed would be Smart suitors are now out of the running.

Indiana, Phoenix, and Dallas all spent substantial money since this morning, so they're out. I really can't think of anyone else who would pony up for him. Maybe Sacramento?

I envision Smart taking a 2-year, $24-26 million type deal to re-sign with the Celtics.

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

We need both of them at least for this year. Rozier is incapable of playing point. He is still have a poor court vision and not a very good off-ball defender. Not to mention he gets killed on switches and nullifies his defensive capabilities due to positional mismatch. We need Smart more than Rozier because he provides things that Rozier or any scoring guards cannot replace. Not to mention, we already have Kyrie, Tatum and Hayward for scoring load. He's a luxury at this point.

Its not really about scoring, its about at least the threat of shooting. Smart does not need to be guarded, and that means his man can help off him and collapse on our drives. Can't do that as much with Rozier. I agree that Smart brings a lot that Rozier doesn't, but If you are just looking for a complementary piece to stick next to a team full of stars or soon to be stars Rozier might be a better fit.

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Indiana, Phoenix, and Dallas all spent substantial money since this morning, so they're out. I really can't think of anyone else who would pony up for him. Maybe Sacramento?

I envision Smart taking a 2-year, $24-26 million type deal to re-sign with the Celtics.

Why would he do that? If someone else offers Smart a two-year 24 million deal (who?) I think the C's maybe let him walk, and re-sign him in two years time... Marcus is after a 4 year deal at least.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Please don't.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Rozier will be the starter if Irving leaves or gets traded. Smart's a big liability offensively despite the nonsense about him being a better PG. Smart was 441st in total shooting% and 471st in turnover% last season in the NBA. When you're that far down the list, most of the names below you play minimal minutes. As long as he doesn't shoot or put the ball on the floor he's great.

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell

Why would he do that? If someone else offers Smart a two-year 24 million deal (who?) I think the C's maybe let him walk, and re-sign him in two years time... Marcus is after a 4 year deal at least.

Because that's probably the most optimistic deal he gets now. I understand that a 4-year deal is what he wants. I just don't see him getting that in this cap crunch. Restricted free agents got screwed in this market the most. Unless you have proved you have star potential (which Smart has not), you're not getting a long-term expensive deal from anyone.

Also, if I read you correctly, you're saying let Smart walk for two years, then bring him back? That's going to be really tricky given that by then, we'll have to focus on paying long-term for Al, Kyrie, Hayward, and Brown. Not to mention Tatum will be eligible for an extension the following year.

The reason why I see Smart taking a two-year deal is that everyone will miraculously have cap room again in 2020 with an even higher salary cap. Plus by then, he'll be unrestricted so he'll have nothing holding him back.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Rozier will be the starter if Irving leaves or gets traded. Smart's a big liability offensively despite the nonsense about him being a better PG. Smart was 441st in total shooting% and 471st in turnover% last season in the NBA. When you're that far down the list, most of the names below you play minimal minutes. As long as he doesn't shoot or put the ball on the floor he's great.

Smart is definitely a better PG than Rozier. It's not even close. Rozier is a good ballhandler but can't run an offense. The reason his turnovers are so low is because he's not looking to create for other guys, he only make the safe, rote pass within the system. Good creators tend to have high turnovers (unless they're freaks like Chris Paul and Rozier is not Chris Paul).
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Smart is definitely a better PG than Rozier. It's not even close. Rozier is a good ballhandler but can't run an offense. The reason his turnovers are so low is because he's not looking to create for other guys, he only make the safe, rote pass within the system. Good creators tend to have high turnovers (unless they're freaks like Chris Paul and Rozier is not Chris Paul).

Rozier's 5.7 assists per game in the playoffs as the primary point guard that took his team to the ECF say hi. Oh, and his 4.75 to 1 assist to turnover ratio called and left a message.

By the way, Rozier's offensive rating of 115 in the playoffs dropped by earlier and would like you to call him back.

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Smart is coming back. Market is going to be real tough this summer for a defense-first guard. My guess is 1-year QO