Author Topic: Tired of ESPN's Body Issue photos/ashamed of IT  (Read 18703 times)

Re: Tired of ESPN's Body Issue photos/ashamed of IT
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2017, 08:50:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
What on Earth have we come to in society where this is okay?!

I have some bad news for you about the ancient Greeks' norms for athletic contests.

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2017, 08:51:08 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It's the expectation of what you will see somewhere. To make the point here's an extreme example. If I go into a 2nd grade elementary school class I do not expect to see a risque picture of a lady in a swimsuit. Using the argument " well it's the human body, or if you don't like it don't send your kids to school. Stupid argument.

Does anyone think this issue (or any issue) is geared/intended for 7-year-olds? A 2nd grade elementary school classroom IS designed for just that, second-graders.

If you take your son into a public restroom and he sees one of those wall dispensers with condoms in it, are you gonna complain?

Do you really think that 7 year olds don't pull up ESPN to check out the baseball scores? And ESPN is designed for sports, not nudity... Just like a classroom is designed for children. And as an adult I know there are condom dispensers in bathrooms and can take appropriate measures as needed if I don't want them seeing that. Plus condom dispensers don't have nude pictures on them. If they did then yes I'd complain.

So your problem is really only with nudity, not shielding your children from adult-themed topics?

ESPN, by name, is the Entertainment and SPorts Network. They are, as you know, a business. That business is directed at predominantly males, probably aged 18-49 or whatever. So maybe kids will go on the site. Maybe women will. Maybe seniors will. Just because other people than the intended audience browse their website, doesn't make the body issue ****ographic. I really don't see how it's shocking to see a little skin on a website like ESPN's. And that's all it is, skin. If your children have so many questions about an uncovered torso or legs, maybe they are old enough to learn about them.

I don't see anything raunchy or particularly risqué about them. These are athletes who train dozens of hours a week to hone their craft, these aren't anorexic models or augmented "actresses."

I think I've made it pretty clear I have a problem with nudity where it doesn't belong. If you showed up at your church and the walls were covered in these would you have the same response? I'm totally okay with doing a half cut out of some of these with a link to the full display. This solves everyone's problem. Nothing lost. Just protects those who don't want to see it. And they aren't just uncovered torsos and legs. They are full crack butt shots of men and women. Pubic areas that if they weren't completely shaved would be covered in hair. Complete breasts with just barely covering nipples. There is no reason they couldn't accomplish the same images showing off their muscles with tiny bathing suits on if that was their real intent. But it's not. It's to sensationalize things. And the solution is just not to show much of it unless you click the link. Someone please argue why that's such a huge trouble.

Um, have you see the Sistine Chapel? The entire place is basically full of nudity.

But again, why are you comparing churches (and classrooms) to an entertainment website? The purpose of their website is to generate clicks. Posting a headline for the body issue vs showing a picture will not generate nearly as many clicks. They are a business. They aren't even a very good one. I'm not a fan of ESPN (I only watch for C's games, and no longer subscribe to the magazine, which I only did for insider when I cared enough), but I don't have a problem with them countering the very successful swimsuit issue from SI with this. It seems natural, as most of them are posing in relation to their sport.

I get your frustration, but this is the internet. If you're worried about them seeing some side boob or where upper pubic hair could be grown on espn, you better keep them away from the internet altogether. I've seen way worse on social media, let alone the ad banners that pop up on various websites.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
This is dumb. All so very dumb.

People are naked when they don't have clothes. Nothing disgusting about it.

Oppositely, if people want to be weirded out or disgusted by naked bodies, all the power to you.

The body issue is something that explores the different forms of human achievement. Beautiful expressions of accomplishment. These people's bodies are their temples and they are proud of their amazing form.

You have choice. Don't look if you don't want to see.

What is bad about children seeing a nude body? They look at one everyday, their own. Teach them that these bodies they see are what hard work and perseverance looks like. It's positive.
Great. Then how about we parade naked men through your teenage daughters showers in the locker room and tell her "it's okay. People are naked when they have no clothes. Nothing disgusting about it". See, you don't want to discuss the topic, just create an alternative discussion because you can't win the one that was being discussed.

It's not about winning. You are no more right than I am. And yes, when I have children I will be showing them naked bodies and teaching them that humans are Beautful and good. I would rather them not develop nerois' and have a healthy relationship with their bodies and the bodies of others.

But honestly, suck it. I hope the naked bodies of sports stars haunt your dreams. I hope your children are bombarded with images of amazing naked people. And most of all, I hope your children develop a healthy relationship with reality - despite you.

Hear, hear!!!!!!!  In all my years on this forum, this is The GOAT post.

The conservatism of the OP is just more evidence of how despicable humans can be.
Not wanting to have to look at someone's naked arse makes someone despicable?! And now somehow it is political?! LOL.

Yes.  To classify you as a human being would profane humanity.

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2017, 09:04:01 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
This is dumb. All so very dumb.

People are naked when they don't have clothes. Nothing disgusting about it.

Oppositely, if people want to be weirded out or disgusted by naked bodies, all the power to you.

The body issue is something that explores the different forms of human achievement. Beautiful expressions of accomplishment. These people's bodies are their temples and they are proud of their amazing form.

You have choice. Don't look if you don't want to see.

What is bad about children seeing a nude body? They look at one everyday, their own. Teach them that these bodies they see are what hard work and perseverance looks like. It's positive.
Great. Then how about we parade naked men through your teenage daughters showers in the locker room and tell her "it's okay. People are naked when they have no clothes. Nothing disgusting about it". See, you don't want to discuss the topic, just create an alternative discussion because you can't win the one that was being discussed.

It's not about winning. You are no more right than I am. And yes, when I have children I will be showing them naked bodies and teaching them that humans are Beautful and good. I would rather them not develop nerois' and have a healthy relationship with their bodies and the bodies of others.

But honestly, suck it. I hope the naked bodies of sports stars haunt your dreams. I hope your children are bombarded with images of amazing naked people. And most of all, I hope your children develop a healthy relationship with reality - despite you.

Hear, hear!!!!!!!  In all my years on this forum, this is The GOAT post.

The conservatism of the OP is just more evidence of how despicable humans can be.
Not wanting to have to look at someone's naked arse makes someone despicable?! And now somehow it is political?! LOL.

Yes.  To classify you as a human being would profane humanity.
And WHERE are the moderators? You need to brush up on the rules.

« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2017, 09:07:47 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
It's the expectation of what you will see somewhere. To make the point here's an extreme example. If I go into a 2nd grade elementary school class I do not expect to see a risque picture of a lady in a swimsuit. Using the argument " well it's the human body, or if you don't like it don't send your kids to school. Stupid argument.

Does anyone think this issue (or any issue) is geared/intended for 7-year-olds? A 2nd grade elementary school classroom IS designed for just that, second-graders.

If you take your son into a public restroom and he sees one of those wall dispensers with condoms in it, are you gonna complain?

Do you really think that 7 year olds don't pull up ESPN to check out the baseball scores? And ESPN is designed for sports, not nudity... Just like a classroom is designed for children. And as an adult I know there are condom dispensers in bathrooms and can take appropriate measures as needed if I don't want them seeing that. Plus condom dispensers don't have nude pictures on them. If they did then yes I'd complain.

So your problem is really only with nudity, not shielding your children from adult-themed topics?

ESPN, by name, is the Entertainment and SPorts Network. They are, as you know, a business. That business is directed at predominantly males, probably aged 18-49 or whatever. So maybe kids will go on the site. Maybe women will. Maybe seniors will. Just because other people than the intended audience browse their website, doesn't make the body issue ****ographic. I really don't see how it's shocking to see a little skin on a website like ESPN's. And that's all it is, skin. If your children have so many questions about an uncovered torso or legs, maybe they are old enough to learn about them.

I don't see anything raunchy or particularly risqué about them. These are athletes who train dozens of hours a week to hone their craft, these aren't anorexic models or augmented "actresses."

I think I've made it pretty clear I have a problem with nudity where it doesn't belong. If you showed up at your church and the walls were covered in these would you have the same response? I'm totally okay with doing a half cut out of some of these with a link to the full display. This solves everyone's problem. Nothing lost. Just protects those who don't want to see it. And they aren't just uncovered torsos and legs. They are full crack butt shots of men and women. Pubic areas that if they weren't completely shaved would be covered in hair. Complete breasts with just barely covering nipples. There is no reason they couldn't accomplish the same images showing off their muscles with tiny bathing suits on if that was their real intent. But it's not. It's to sensationalize things. And the solution is just not to show much of it unless you click the link. Someone please argue why that's such a huge trouble.

Um, have you see the Sistine Chapel? The entire place is basically full of nudity.

But again, why are you comparing churches (and classrooms) to an entertainment website? The purpose of their website is to generate clicks. Posting a headline for the body issue vs showing a picture will not generate nearly as many clicks. They are a business. They aren't even a very good one. I'm not a fan of ESPN (I only watch for C's games, and no longer subscribe to the magazine, which I only did for insider when I cared enough), but I don't have a problem with them countering the very successful swimsuit issue from SI with this. It seems natural, as most of them are posing in relation to their sport.

I get your frustration, but this is the internet. If you're worried about them seeing some side boob or where upper pubic hair could be grown on espn, you better keep them away from the internet altogether. I've seen way worse on social media, let alone the ad banners that pop up on various websites.
Good points. We definitely do our best with filters and such. This is where I have the issue though. Filters aren't going to catch ESPN as being an issue. Or at least they shouldn't . Kind of funny on here how trying to keep adult themed images out of the eyes of children would be met with such ridicule. At least you are trying to discuss and make valid points. TP to you for your thoughtful comments!