Author Topic: Can we calm down about trading up?  (Read 3741 times)

Re: Can we calm down about trading up?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 04:02:26 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
One of the reasons I think we could trade up to 9-12 is because you can sell a team on getting a similar prospect at 16. So no I wouldn't be too upset if we stood pat at 16, the prospect in the range are solid and there's a good chance someone could drop too. Trey Lyles, Kelly Oubre and Kevon Looney have top 9 consideration, and would be good value if they fell to 16.

This is essentially the logic we used to take James Young last year.

I'm starting to really like Lyles and I do think there's a shot that he falls to us at 16.  Wonder where his draft stock would be if he had started.

Mike

Lyles is decisive with the ball. He's a great passer, capable scorer, didn't shoot the best at Kentucky but his form looks strong so I think he could develop (Bradley Beal shot 34% from 3 in college). IMO he fits this roster and what Stevens likes to do like a glove.

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 04:08:22 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
One of the reasons I think we could trade up to 9-12 is because you can sell a team on getting a similar prospect at 16. So no I wouldn't be too upset if we stood pat at 16, the prospect in the range are solid and there's a good chance someone could drop too. Trey Lyles, Kelly Oubre and Kevon Looney have top 9 consideration, and would be good value if they fell to 16.

This is essentially the logic we used to take James Young last year.

I'm starting to really like Lyles and I do think there's a shot that he falls to us at 16.  Wonder where his draft stock would be if he had started.

Mike

Lyles is decisive with the ball. He's a great passer, capable scorer, didn't shoot the best at Kentucky but his form looks strong so I think he could develop (Bradley Beal shot 34% from 3 in college). IMO he fits this roster and what Stevens likes to do like a glove.

You brought up Bradley's shooting as if it were a good thing.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 04:11:49 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
you can't sign four rookies in one offseason,

Relax, I am sure some of them will be D league bound.

You mean like our #17th pick last year?

Even if a player is assigned to the D league he still takes up an NBA roster spot if already signed to an NBA contract such as James Young was this year.  However a second round pick could sign in Europe not taking a roster spot such as Colton Iverson.

Saying all this ideally for me I only want 2 rookies on the roster at most(again would still count towards the 15 man roster even if assigned to D league) replacing let's say Babb and Datome, with maybe a younger free agent with more upside replacing Bass).

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
 To answer your question op.

NOPE!

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 04:18:32 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
you can't sign four rookies in one offseason,

Relax, I am sure some of them will be D league bound.

You mean like our #17th pick last year?

Even if a player is assigned to the D league he still takes up an NBA roster spot if already signed to an NBA contract such as James Young was this year.  However a second round pick could sign in Europe not taking a roster spot such as Colton Iverson.

Saying all this ideally for me I only want 2 rookies on the roster at most(again would still count towards the 15 man roster even if assigned to D league) replacing let's say Babb and Datome, with maybe a younger free agent with more upside replacing Bass).

I want a rookie like Smart who can contribute, I don't watch the Red Claws. Our #16 and #33 pick can be moved as they have modest value, that #45 and #28 pick could suit your stockpiling asset needs.

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 04:20:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Can I calm down about trading up? Sure

Can you make me calm down about trading up? Not a chance. You aren't my real dad!

The draft and trades are pretty much my two favorite thing about the Celtics so if you want me to calm down you can pound sand!
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 07:17:02 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
We do not need to use our picks to trade up. I am pretty sure we could use Avery or Sully or ET to target MIA IND CHA and other teams that are more "win now" than us.

I think using our picks is important bc there are many players undervalued in this draft...Myles Turner, Cliff Alexander, Robert Upshaw (dependant on updated wingspan and standing reach), Alexander V.