Author Topic: What trade do you think Danny is working on?  (Read 29968 times)

Re: What trade do you think Danny is working on?
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2019, 05:41:31 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
They should have enough cap room to sign Edwards and Tacko to multi-year deals

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2019, 05:57:55 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Dragon Bender is a free agent.  Lol So happy we drafted Brown over him.

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2019, 08:02:02 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
In a trade where the Celtics send out less players than they receive, an open roster spot would be necessary. But Yabu, a decent salary filler was cut. Maybe Danny is thinking of trading Hayward and getting 2 players back while taking on some salary.  Trading Hayward would mean being able to take on as much as $40.9 million in salary.

I doubt this is happening but it would explain opening up a roster slot, kind of. But it's probably just to sign a vet min rotational player, which would be a huge upgrade over Yabusele.
well, "huge" might be a stretch. improvement? sure, put me on board.

whom do we think the celtics could pick up from among the remaining flotsam and jetsom of free agents that would make a significant difference in the win-loss column for the celtics?

yabusele wasnt going to play many minutes. i dont think his replacement will suddenly be taking other people's minutes away and gain an important role.

me? a guy who sits in an office a lot and does these analyses for fun and entertainment and no form of repurcussions when i am wrong? i would prefer some me such as Tacko over a marginal and cooked vet.
Why would a player need to make a significant impact on the win loss column in order to be a huge upgrade over a guy that was going to provide virtually nothing for this team?

I think a player like Kenneth Faried, Jonas Jerebko or Joakim Noah could provide infinitely more to next year's team than Yabu could have and yet, none of those three would significantly impact the win loss column. Maybe they mean a win or three more...maybe. But I don't believe they would be the net negative that Yabusele would be.

Those are not crazy names at this point. Faried, Jerebko, and Noah were all rotation players last season. Faried and Jerebko were on very good teams. Noah was healthy and was able to contribute quality minutes. Another name out there is Trey Lyles. The market is drying up quickly for these guys.

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2019, 08:22:25 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

I still remember the debates on this forum during that draft - people swearing that Bender was going to be the next Porzingis and was a surefire future star.

I have no idea how people saw that in him.  The guy never once looked like an NBA player.

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2019, 08:25:54 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I still remember the debates on this forum during that draft - people swearing that Bender was going to be the next Porzingis and was a surefire future star.

I have no idea how people saw that in him.  The guy never once looked like an NBA player.
Bender and Exum were the ultimate question marks.

There was absolutely 0 way for a fan to evaluate either of them.

All we knew was their measurables. If we’d drafted them I wouldn’t have been mad because I would have felt like the FO probably could make that evaluation while a fan couldn’t. Similar situation without giannis where no fan could have a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing clue
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2019, 08:34:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I knew he would be horrible film/tape does not lie.

I think he is what DA is up to.   I think he will sign Edwards who is a keeper and give the other roster spot to Tacko Fall.  It could be a veteran, but I doubt it there is not a lot of guys much better now out there better than Edwards.  Fall is very unique, and I know some guys are in denial about him (no, I don't think is a superstar in the making)   he makes plays and affects the other team quite a bit.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:39:40 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2019, 08:41:41 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum

Bender and Exum were the ultimate question marks.

There was absolutely 0 way for a fan to evaluate either of them.

All we knew was their measurables. If we’d drafted them I wouldn’t have been mad because I would have felt like the FO probably could make that evaluation while a fan couldn’t. Similar situation without giannis where no fan could have a ****ing clue

I just looked at tape....and I didnt see anything the others saw.

People talked about his PG skills as if he could pass and dribble like Lebron - all the tape I saw his handle looked ok for a big man but not much more then that, and ditto his passing.

People talked about his ability to run the floor for his size - from what I saw in tapes, he seemed like he ran the floor like a big man, not much more.

People talked about his shooting ability - I saw tape of him bricking shots and missing 2 or 3 consecutive shots 3 feet from the basket.

The guy looked like he was getting constantly schooled by slower, less athletic euro players - whatever other people saw, I just didn't see it.

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2019, 08:42:38 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
In a trade where the Celtics send out less players than they receive, an open roster spot would be necessary. But Yabu, a decent salary filler was cut. Maybe Danny is thinking of trading Hayward and getting 2 players back while taking on some salary.  Trading Hayward would mean being able to take on as much as $40.9 million in salary.

I doubt this is happening but it would explain opening up a roster slot, kind of. But it's probably just to sign a vet min rotational player, which would be a huge upgrade over Yabusele.
well, "huge" might be a stretch. improvement? sure, put me on board.

whom do we think the celtics could pick up from among the remaining flotsam and jetsom of free agents that would make a significant difference in the win-loss column for the celtics?

yabusele wasnt going to play many minutes. i dont think his replacement will suddenly be taking other people's minutes away and gain an important role.

me? a guy who sits in an office a lot and does these analyses for fun and entertainment and no form of repurcussions when i am wrong? i would prefer some me such as Tacko over a marginal and cooked vet.
Why would a player need to make a significant impact on the win loss column in order to be a huge upgrade over a guy that was going to provide virtually nothing for this team?

I think a player like Kenneth Faried, Jonas Jerebko or Joakim Noah could provide infinitely more to next year's team than Yabu could have and yet, none of those three would significantly impact the win loss column. Maybe they mean a win or three more...maybe. But I don't believe they would be the net negative that Yabusele would be.

Those are not crazy names at this point. Faried, Jerebko, and Noah were all rotation players last season. Faried and Jerebko were on very good teams. Noah was healthy and was able to contribute quality minutes. Another name out there is Trey Lyles. The market is drying up quickly for these guys.

Gimme Trey
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2019, 08:47:07 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum

I think he is what DA is up to.   I think he will sign Edwards who is a keeper and give the other roster spot to Tacko Fall.  It could be a veteran, but I doubt it there is not a lot of guys much better now out there better than Edwards.  Fall is very unique, and I know some guys are in denial about him (no, I don't think is a superstar in the making)   he makes plays and affects the other team quite a bit.

I do agree with you about Fall.  As you said I don't think of him as the next Porzingis or anything like that - but even when he isn't blocking shots, it looks like he is affecting just about every shot that goes up around the basket. Guys are trying to adjust their shots awkwardly to get over his outstretched arms, or else they are abandoning ship entirely and dribbling back out to the perimeter to reset.  Teams just don't seem to be having much success in the paint offensively as long as he's out there.

This is summer league I know, but his size / length advantage is just as big against NBA players as it is against SL players.  He stands/reaches a good 8-9 inches above about 95% of the guys in the NBA.  Even if he never develops above average skills - at his size you only NEED average skill plus a bit of good luck on the medical side.

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2019, 09:08:30 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I have a really hard time evaluating Tacko.  His athleticism is probably the worst of any NBA player, but HE'S SO TALL, it's the results that count.  But, we are so used to looking at a center and judging whether he can switch on the pick and roll, whether he's got post moves, can he step out and hit the open J, etc..  You have to evaluate Tacko for what he does - as many said affects the game in different ways.  I'm honestly having a hard time doing that.  My eyeballs tell me he's a stiff, but that's just my limitations as an evaluator of HIS KIND of talent.

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2019, 09:37:55 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
I have a really hard time evaluating Tacko.  His athleticism is probably the worst of any NBA player, but HE'S SO TALL, it's the results that count.  But, we are so used to looking at a center and judging whether he can switch on the pick and roll, whether he's got post moves, can he step out and hit the open J, etc..  You have to evaluate Tacko for what he does - as many said affects the game in different ways.  I'm honestly having a hard time doing that.  My eyeballs tell me he's a stiff, but that's just my limitations as an evaluator of HIS KIND of talent.

The way I tend to look at it is this.

The last 2 or 3 guys on any of Ainge's rosters rarely ever gets on the court.  Those roster slots may as well be looked at as "experimental" slots.  So I tend to look at it like - we don't know if this guy will be able to contribute against NBA talent, why not give him a spot, watch and see.  Sign him to some type of non guaranteed deal (or even partially guaranteed for a tiny amount) and if he doesn't work out cut him.

There's certainly plenty of risk that he won't work out, but at the same time if he DOES work out he could prove a really painful player for opposing teams to gameplan against.  I kinda feel the risk is worth it just to see how it plays out.

Can he POSSIBLY be any worse then Fab Melo?

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2019, 09:40:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

^. This   TP

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2019, 10:55:47 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

^. This   TP

He will be so good for the lockeroom too.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2019, 11:22:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

This is very well put. TP

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2019, 12:20:42 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

This is very well put. TP

He is not a stiff.  He is different and intelligent and changes the game.   This to me means he is a difference maker.  I think Yabusele is gone to make room for Taco.