Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 399070 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #2070 on: February 23, 2020, 12:49:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kemba being out is good for the young guys.

Some of the Celtic losses, especially late in the 4th, is due to Kemba's penchant for taking "all in" shots.

I think it's best if the Celts preserve Kemba for the playoffs.
Such as?

Kemba has the tendency to launch 3-pointers, in crunch time, when the Celts really don't need it.

I've also noticed that Kemba makes more 3-pointers early in the qtr. than late in the qtr.

He's shooting 44% from 3pt in crunch time this year, which is higher than his season average of 39% and equal to what he shoots from 3pt in the 4th quarter overall.

https://www.espn.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=401160854

1:44      Kemba Walker misses 26-foot three point pullup jump shot   94 - 90

With the Celts leading by 4, in regulation, why shoot a 3?
Maybe it's the decision making.

That shot and miss led to a Clipper fast break that cut the Celtic lead to 2 points with 1:37 left in the 4th.

Celts ended up losing that game in OT.

Kemba has this knack of going for "all in" shots in crunch time.

I think Kemba needs to learn that he's with the Celtics already, not the Hornets.
He's literally one of the best clutch scorers in the league on the team with the 4th best record in the league (in the spite of many injuries), and you somehow find this to complain about? Really?

According to this 4th qtr. stats, Tatum is ranked higher than Kemba.
https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Period=4
You'll note the 1.5 minute difference in Tatum's favour too, right? I really have absolutely no idea what you're even complaining about at this stage - Kemba is an elite 44% 3P shooter in the clutch which is 5 points up from his season average.

It's more of the decision making.

There are times when there's still plenty of time in the shot-clock and Kemba jacks up a 3.

What I'm saying is Kemba can't treat late game situations like it's the start of a qtr.

Can you show me the stats where Kemba shoots 44% from 3pt land in the last 5 minutes of a game?

I can only find the 4th qtr stats, but not the stats for the last 5 minutes of a game.
https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=GP&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Period=4
This is for the last 5 minutes of the fourth quarter, so no OT games included.

The real thing to note is Kemba's FG% is quite poor in these scenarios, but his 3P% remains high at 44%. However the sample size is quite small, and sometimes misleading. For instance, Kawhi is an awful 3P% in this instance (17%), yet I don't think there's any real argument he's not clutch.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2071 on: February 23, 2020, 12:56:28 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Some of the Celtic losses, especially late in the 4th, is due to Kemba's penchant for taking "all in" shots.

Such as?

Kemba has the tendency to launch 3-pointers, in crunch time, when the Celts really don't need it.

I've also noticed that Kemba makes more 3-pointers early in the qtr. than late in the qtr.

He's shooting 44% from 3pt in crunch time this year, which is higher than his season average of 39% and equal to what he shoots from 3pt in the 4th quarter overall.

That shot and miss led to a Clipper fast break that cut the Celtic lead to 2 points with 1:37 left in the 4th.

I think Kemba needs to learn that he's with the Celtics already, not the Hornets.
He's literally one of the best clutch scorers in the league on the team with the 4th best record in the league (in the spite of many injuries), and you somehow find this to complain about? Really?

https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Period=4
You'll note the 1.5 minute difference in Tatum's favour too, right? I really have absolutely no idea what you're even complaining about at this stage - Kemba is an elite 44% 3P shooter in the clutch which is 5 points up from his season average.

There are times when there's still plenty of time in the shot-clock and Kemba jacks up a 3.

What I'm saying is Kemba can't treat late game situations like it's the start of a qtr.

Can you show me the stats where Kemba shoots 44% from 3pt land in the last 5 minutes of a game?

I can only find the 4th qtr stats, but not the stats for the last 5 minutes of a game.
https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=GP&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Period=4

The real thing to note is Kemba's FG% is quite poor in these scenarios, but his 3P% remains high at 44%. However the sample size is quite small, and sometimes misleading. For instance, Kawhi is an awful 3P% in this instance (17%), yet I don't think there's any real argument he's not clutch.

That's because Kawhi has 2 rings.

So far this season, Jayson Tatum has been better in the clutch than Kemba.

All I'm saying is Kemba should be wiser, numerous times this season Kemba jacks up an ill-advised 3 late in the game.

I'm not doubting Kemba's shooting, I know he can make those, but I think Kemba can be better in the clutch.

« Reply #2072 on: February 23, 2020, 01:14:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Such as?

All I'm saying is Kemba should be wiser, numerous times this season Kemba jacks up an ill-advised 3 late in the game.

I'm not doubting Kemba's shooting, I know he can make those, but I think Kemba can be better in the clutch.
If you want to expect 50/50/80 from Kemba, go ahead

« Reply #2073 on: February 23, 2020, 02:21:46 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Such as?

RINGZ, ERNEH! The winning bias in sports never ceases to amaze me :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2074 on: February 23, 2020, 02:41:26 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Such as?

https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch-traditional/?sort=GP&dir=-1

« Reply #2075 on: February 23, 2020, 06:49:59 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Such as?

If you are shooting 44% from 3, its not really ill-advised.

« Reply #2076 on: February 23, 2020, 07:46:41 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Such as?

It's not that I don't want Kemba to shoot, it's being smart about the shots you take.

Just like that game in LA where the Celts lost to the Clips in OT.
Kemba didn't have to shoot a 3 when there was under 2 minutes left on the clock and the Celts were leading by 4 points.

Under 2 minutes and the Celts leading by 4 points, there was no need for a 3-pointer that was contested.

Again, Kemba can be better with his shot selection.

« Reply #2077 on: February 23, 2020, 08:30:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Such as?

It's not that I don't want Kemba to shoot, it's being smart about the shots you take.

Just like that game in LA where the Celts lost to the Clips in OT.
Kemba didn't have to shoot a 3 when there was under 2 minutes left on the clock and the Celts were leading by 4 points.

Under 2 minutes and the Celts leading by 4 points, there was no need for a 3-pointer that was contested.

Again, Kemba can be better with his shot selection.
So far that's literally the only example you've been able to provide. You're not even trying to listen to what anyone else is saying about this

« Reply #2078 on: February 23, 2020, 11:14:30 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Could Ben Simmons be out for a while?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2877580-report-76ers-ben-simmons-emotional-after-x-rays-on-back-injury-amid-concerns

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Simmons was "emotional" leaving the X-ray room after exiting Saturday's 119-98 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks. The All-Star played just five minutes and was clearly hobbled before heading out.

Simmons sat out Thursday's win over the Brooklyn Nets because of his back, but it was not considered serious at the time. He appeared to aggravate the injury when Brook Lopez fouled him on a drive in the first quarter, but he looked less than 100 percent from the opening tip.

Sixers coach Brett Brown revealed Simmons suffered the initial injury when going up for a rebound at Wednesday's practice.

If the Sixers are forced to play without Simmons for any extended period, their already stagnant offense could struggle. For all the criticism about his inability to shoot, Simmons is far and away Philly's best shot-creator.

Raul Neto is the only other primary point guard on the roster after the Sixers waived Trey Burke, shrinking their thin guard rotation. Alec Burks can handle some of those duties but is more of a secondary playmaker.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2079 on: February 23, 2020, 11:21:27 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2877580-report-76ers-ben-simmons-emotional-after-x-rays-on-back-injury-amid-concerns

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Simmons was "emotional" leaving the X-ray room after exiting Saturday's 119-98 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks. The All-Star played just five minutes and was clearly hobbled before heading out.

Simmons sat out Thursday's win over the Brooklyn Nets because of his back, but it was not considered serious at the time. He appeared to aggravate the injury when Brook Lopez fouled him on a drive in the first quarter, but he looked less than 100 percent from the opening tip.

Sixers coach Brett Brown revealed Simmons suffered the initial injury when going up for a rebound at Wednesday's practice.

If the Sixers are forced to play without Simmons for any extended period, their already stagnant offense could struggle. For all the criticism about his inability to shoot, Simmons is far and away Philly's best shot-creator.

Raul Neto is the only other primary point guard on the roster after the Sixers waived Trey Burke, shrinking their thin guard rotation. Alec Burks can handle some of those duties but is more of a secondary playmaker.

Not convinced by this bolded part at all. I don't think their offense will miss a beat without Simmons. Their defense will take a hit though. He is their best perimeter defender.

They should put Al Horford back in the starting lineup if Simmons is out. Shore up their defense and rebounding.

« Reply #2080 on: February 23, 2020, 12:54:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!

Not convinced by this bolded part at all. I don't think their offense will miss a beat without Simmons. Their defense will take a hit though. He is their best perimeter defender.

They should put Al Horford back in the starting lineup if Simmons is out. Shore up their defense and rebounding.

Maybe, except PHI does seem to play a lot better without Embiid and with Simmons than vice versa.

PHI to me is a team that would love to space the floor and play fast-paced with Simmons assisting and creating for others. But without him, it's hard for them to do that and frankly, Embiid is just a slow player which ends up stagnating their offense. Look at Giannis just running up the floor and hustling. I don't think I ever see that from Embiid nowadays. There are rumors that Embiid has been and is still out of shape this season.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2081 on: February 23, 2020, 12:57:09 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Not convinced by this bolded part at all. I don't think their offense will miss a beat without Simmons.

Why do you think that?

« Reply #2082 on: February 23, 2020, 02:18:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Such as?

So, according to you: "Some of the Celtic losses, especially late in the 4th, is due to Kemba's penchant for taking "all in" shots." and your one example is from November 20th, 41 games ago, half a season back! And it's untrue as Kemba hits threes at an elite level late in close games!

« Reply #2083 on: February 23, 2020, 03:26:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2409

Not convinced by this bolded part at all. I don't think their offense will miss a beat without Simmons.

Why do you think that?

I don't think Simmons helps their offense much if at all as is.

- He is clearly a capable offensive threat when the team is built around him. Philly is not that though.

- Simmons is the #1 cause of Philly's spacing issues. The team's spacing will improve hugely without him in the lineup. Now they will field lineups where all 5 guys are jump-shooters. That alone will make everyone else's lives on the team easier.

- Simmons doesn't create much in the half court for his teammates due to the team's spacing issues and his lack of jump-shooting. His ball-handling and playmaking in the halfcourt won't be hard to replace due to this.

- They will miss Simmons' transition offense.

« Reply #2084 on: February 23, 2020, 04:50:55 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Such as?

So, according to you: "Some of the Celtic losses, especially late in the 4th, is due to Kemba's penchant for taking "all in" shots." and your one example is from November 20th, 41 games ago, half a season back! And it's untrue as Kemba hits threes at an elite level late in close games!

Here's another example.
https://www.espn.com.au/nba/playbyplay?gameId=401160999

1:44      Kemba Walker misses 27-foot three point pullup jump shot   109 - 111

Brogdon just hit 2 FTs to give the Pacers a 2-point lead with 1:59 remaining.

Kemba tried to go all in with a 3-pointer.

When Kemba missed, Justin Holiday makes a 3-pointer at the other end to give the Pacers a 5-point lead.

Game over for the Celts.

Like I said, it's not that we don't want Kemba to shoot, just don't go "all in" all the time.