Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 398879 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #2160 on: February 26, 2020, 10:18:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He’s playing with 4 other starters who are great scorers. Of course his stats won’t be as great as centers playing in mediocre lineups.
TP, that's why I included some of the advanced impact metrics. Theis is a role player but he is very effective in that role and his lower usage understates how important he is to the Cs.

Which is why his constant foul trouble is a big issue for the team.

« Reply #2161 on: February 26, 2020, 10:19:57 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Theis was a backup C last year, this year he's performed at a starter level. Saying he's a backup C is like saying Brown is a backup SG because he came off the bench last year.

We have 57 games of information to consume and Theis has been a productive starter for a top 4 NBA team.

You can look it up.

Theis' production is not up to par with the starting Centers of the league right now.
Among All C who've played a lot:

Some +/- numbers
RPM he's top 10
PIPM he's top 15
RAPM at Nbashotcharts has him 78th overall (they don't let me search by position but thats easily top 20 among Cs given how many guards/forwards appear on the list)

http://bkref.com/tiny/Woxfw sorted by WS he's top 10
http://bkref.com/tiny/0G9za sorted by PER he's top 25
http://bkref.com/tiny/JHCcQ sorted by Rebound per game he's top 20

Theis straight up is easily a starting level productive center. Maybe you should "look it up" yourself before you challenge people.  ;)

It's simple, when Kanter, Theis' backup, is averaging 8 rebounds per game game and Theis is only averaging 6.5 rebounds per game, that means your starting Center is below average.

Seriously, Theis is top 20 among Centers in the NBA and you're happy with that?

I think it's just a case of your standard is lower than mine.

He’s playing with 4 other starters who are great scorers. Of course his stats won’t be as great as centers playing in mediocre lineups.

I can understand the scoring, but look at the rebounds.

Kanter is only getting 18 minutes per game and he's getting 8 rebounds per game.

Theis is getting 23 minutes per game and he's only getting 6.5 rebounds per game.

I'm not saying Theis is bad, he's just not starting Center material.

But right now we have no choice but to roll with Theis because the trade deadline has passed.

I'm just hoping for the best.

« Reply #2162 on: February 26, 2020, 10:20:20 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Since Ainge decided not to move Poirer or first round picks to get a veteran big man, what is the downside in playing Poirer for 5-7 minutes a game?  How many games will it cost the Celtics in the win-loss column if Stevens took that approach?  It seems to me that 1 or 2 losses may be worth the benefit of having Poirer get more NBA experience and giving him an opportunity to get acclimated in case a big man is needed for spot duty or even worse, if there is a major injury to a big man on the team.  Ainge ponied up to grab him from France.  We have a plethora of wings, and we give Langford time.  Langford looks like a legitimate NBA player, but my point is that with better current talent/ability on the team, we still find a way to get Langford minutes.  Why can we not do that with the big man spot, given that Theis is the only real option at the moment?  (Kanter does not look serviceable lately.)

The problem is Brad refuses to play Poirier.

That is what I am questioning.  How many wins does Brad think it will cost the team if he plays Poirer 5-7 minutes a game?  What is the reasoning behind refusing to play him?  Is Poirer not engaged in practice?  Does Brad think that Poirer is totally useless, or is it the lack of NBA experience?  If the latter, there is only one way to rectify that...

« Reply #2163 on: February 26, 2020, 10:21:24 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Who cares if Theis is not scoring?  You have 4 guys on the team dropping 17+ ppg game.   

You're not trotting him out there to be a scorer & his rebounding has been more than sufficient.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2164 on: February 26, 2020, 10:22:18 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
TP, that's why I included some of the advanced impact metrics. Theis is a role player but he is very effective in that role and his lower usage understates how important he is to the Cs.

Which is why his constant foul trouble is a big issue for the team.

That's because he's short and not really big, that's why he's overcompensating, which leads to fouling a lot.

Now you know why I'm not sold on Theis as a starting Center.

Theis is just a backup Center being forced to become the starter because the Celts have no better option.

« Reply #2165 on: February 26, 2020, 10:22:31 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
Theis was a backup C last year, this year he's performed at a starter level. Saying he's a backup C is like saying Brown is a backup SG because he came off the bench last year.

We have 57 games of information to consume and Theis has been a productive starter for a top 4 NBA team.

You can look it up.

Theis' production is not up to par with the starting Centers of the league right now.

Some +/- numbers
RPM he's top 10
PIPM he's top 15
RAPM at Nbashotcharts has him 78th overall (they don't let me search by position but thats easily top 20 among Cs given how many guards/forwards appear on the list)

Theis straight up is easily a starting level productive center. Maybe you should "look it up" yourself before you challenge people.  ;)

It's simple, when Kanter, Theis' backup, is averaging 8 rebounds per game game and Theis is only averaging 6.5 rebounds per game, that means your starting Center is below average.

So when you said 'production', you actually meant rebounds. 

This is why nobody takes you seriously. 

« Reply #2166 on: February 26, 2020, 10:23:56 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
Who cares if Theis is not scoring?  You have 4 guys on the team dropping 17+ ppg game.   

You're not trotting him out there to be a scorer & his rebounding has been more than sufficient.

Like I said, we have no choice but to roll with Theis because the trade deadline has passed.

IMO he's not starting Center.

But it doesn't matter because the Celts will use Smart at Center, in the playoffs, in crunch time.

I like Theis, but as a backup Center, not a starter.

« Reply #2167 on: February 26, 2020, 10:26:11 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Like I said, we have no choice but to roll with Theis because the trade deadline has passed.

But it doesn't matter because the Celts will use Smart at Center, in the playoffs, in crunch time.

We know you think that. Please stop spamming threads with the same thing over and over.

« Reply #2168 on: February 26, 2020, 10:26:20 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

You can look it up.

Some +/- numbers
RPM he's top 10
PIPM he's top 15

The constant moving goalposts, hijacking threads, lack analysis on advanced metrics... at this point its a joke.

« Reply #2169 on: February 26, 2020, 10:26:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So you say look it up, and I do.

Then suddenly its not "production" its his foul rate is too high and he's not an elite rebounder (he's 25th best rebounding center by REB% which is solid!)? You don't need to be an elite rebounder to be a starting caliber C!

Dude is a starting C and you made a strong claim and can't back it up. Shame you can't admit you were wrong like you were demanding "other posters" admit.

Sucks when people bring receipts.  ;)

« Reply #2170 on: February 26, 2020, 10:27:57 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

You can look it up.

Some +/- numbers
RPM he's top 10
PIPM he's top 15

Production means, scoring, rebounding, blocks, etc.

I never said production equals scoring.

You don't have to take me seriously.

Just look at where the Celts stand right now.

Can you honestly say the Celts are a team on par with the Bucks right now?

« Reply #2171 on: February 26, 2020, 10:28:44 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

We know you think that. Please stop spamming threads with the same thing over and over.

Spamming threads?

I've only been in this thread today!

« Reply #2172 on: February 26, 2020, 10:29:01 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

That's fantastic.  Luckily, Brad is the one who understands his personnel & is coaching the team.

You can trying screaming it & spamming it (remember where that got you last time) into existence the contrary but the fact of the matter is that Theis is the starting center on this basketball and has been quite good at it this year.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2173 on: February 26, 2020, 10:29:41 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
So you say look it up, and I do.

Then suddenly its not "production" its his foul rate is too high and he's not an elite rebounder (he's 25th best rebounding center by REB% which is solid!)? You don't need to be an elite rebounder to be a starting caliber C!

Dude is a starting C and you made a strong claim and can't back it up. Shame you can't admit you were wrong like you were demanding "other posters" admit.

Sucks when people bring receipts.  ;)

I provided you with the stats that showed Theis is not even in the top 48 in scoring and only 46th in rebounds.

And I can't back up my claim?

Here:

https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2019-20&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PlayerPosition=C&StarterBench=Starters

« Reply #2174 on: February 26, 2020, 10:31:33 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

That's fantastic.  Luckily, Brad is the one who understands his personnel & is coaching the team.

You can trying screaming it & spamming it (remember where that got you last time) into existence the contrary but the fact of the matter is that Theis is the starting center on this basketball and has been quite good at it this year.

Yeah, because last time you guys couldn't take the heat, that's why you did what you did.