Author Topic: Jackie Mac on Smart free agency: "he's going for the money"  (Read 11180 times)

Re: Jackie Mac on Smart free agency: "he's going for the money"
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 08:25:03 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think he should take the money. $2 million per year over four years is a pretty significant amount of money for a young guy.

That said, it’s not even claimed that the people interviewed have any inside knowledge.

It is a lot, you're right. The contracts in the NBA are interesting. Coming of a rookie deal guys tend to massively increase their salary wherever they go.

What I don't think gets much attention is the 3rd contract a player signs. Maybe it's because most are out of the league at that point. But I would love to see some numbers about how players impact their 3rd contract by moving away from something that is working for a few million extra a year.

Chandler Parsons for example, KCP and Monroe also spring to mind. Chasing the money isn't always the best long term option. I think it will very much depend who offers Smart the money as to whether he takes it or not.

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 08:26:25 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Apparently, much like Rozier, Smart fancies himself as a starter, wants to start someplace, and get paid as much as possible. Do I think Smart gives Boston a discount? Nope, because he will never be a starter here, his offensive role is just going to diminish and so are his minutes starting next year.

If I am Danny and can snag him for $9 or maybe as high as $10 million, I sign him. If Smart signs an offer sheet at $12 million plus, you have to let him walk and grab a replacement like Grayson Allen in the draft.
The rumor prior to the beginning of the regular season was that Brad was going to start Smart until he told Brad that he would prefer coming off the bench.  I don't know the validity of that but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true.  The importance of starting is highly overrated, playing starter minutes matters more and he should continue to warrant such.  His offensive role should diminish with Hayward and Irving back next year and that will make him even better.

Nothing good can come from the Celtics going all cheap Charlie on Smart and he ends up taking the qualifying offer, that would send the wrong message to Horford, Irving, Hayward and everyone else.  If the Celtics lose talent trying to stay out of the luxury tax at this stage they should be torn apart by the fan base as well.  4yr.-40mill. should probably be the very minimum they get away with signing him for no matter the market, I would expect more like 4yr.-50mill.

Amen to that. My season tickets went up 15% this year. They can pay up for him, if money is simply the issue.

I think it's a moot point, though. I don't see anyone offering him 4/56.

Mike

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 08:30:31 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
??? His qualifying offer??

"Hi Marcus, we are prepared to offer you 56 million dollars of guaranteed money to play in Sacramento"

"Oh wow, super sweet of you, but I'll just take the 6 million, and hope everything turns out better once I fall even further down the roster with a healthy Kyrie and Hayward."

LOL - great hot take Zach.

What Zach Lowe said was that this summer will be an unusually tight year for cap space, and that he may not get as good an offer as he wants. By taking the qualifying offer he can try next year too, when more teams have room to offer him something.

Teams are wising up. Don't expect to see Evan Turner type contracts being tossed around any more. Marcus might not get an offer this summer. He better hope no one watched Monday's game, that's for sure.

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 08:35:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Jackie Mac sold out for espn. Take her less seriously than I used to

Went to the highest bidder. Just like Marcus.

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 08:37:57 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'd be disappointed if we couldn't bring Smart back, but not absolutely heartbroken. We are going to be good next year...like really good. Hopefully we will be able to keep Baynes at 120% of his current salary because if we use the MLE on a Smart replacement, we may even be able to bring in a player like Tyreke Evans or even bring back AB.

Then there will be several vets likely willing to take the minimum for a chance at a championship.

Smart does things that I've never seen any other player do and his energy and tenacity is contagious, but he isn't even slated to be a starter - not even close really. We can't afford to spend more than $10M/yr on him, unfortunately.

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 08:50:46 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Apparently, much like Rozier, Smart fancies himself as a starter, wants to start someplace, and get paid as much as possible. Do I think Smart gives Boston a discount? Nope, because he will never be a starter here, his offensive role is just going to diminish and so are his minutes starting next year.

If I am Danny and can snag him for $9 or maybe as high as $10 million, I sign him. If Smart signs an offer sheet at $12 million plus, you have to let him walk and grab a replacement like Grayson Allen in the draft.
The rumor prior to the beginning of the regular season was that Brad was going to start Smart until he told Brad that he would prefer coming off the bench.  I don't know the validity of that but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true.  The importance of starting is highly overrated, playing starter minutes matters more and he should continue to warrant such.  His offensive role should diminish with Hayward and Irving back next year and that will make him even better.

Nothing good can come from the Celtics going all cheap Charlie on Smart and he ends up taking the qualifying offer, that would send the wrong message to Horford, Irving, Hayward and everyone else.  If the Celtics lose talent trying to stay out of the luxury tax at this stage they should be torn apart by the fan base as well.  4yr.-40mill. should probably be the very minimum they get away with signing him for no matter the market, I would expect more like 4yr.-50mill.

Amen to that. My season tickets went up 15% this year. They can pay up for him, if money is simply the issue.

I think it's a moot point, though. I don't see anyone offering him 4/56.

Mike

You have to know Ainge doesn't give a [dang] what anyone else thinks. He's going to make the best long term decision for the team. He will not get bogged down paying the middle of the roster big money, and if he pays anyone it will be Rozier, not Smart. They just can't give both guys over $10M a year.

Remember, Rozier can be extended this summer, even if he can't field an offer from anyone else. Ainge could appeal to Rozier that he could be the Vinnie Johnson of a long term contender, and that could be a better career choice than averaging 18 pts a game for the Magic. Ainge may tell Rozier that there is one well paid spot available, and ask him if he wants it.

I'm worried about Marcus the same way I was worried about IT. He's probably going to be very upset when he finds out what the market will bear. Ainge will not give him a mercy contract, either.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 09:09:45 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I expect Boston to draft a defensive minded guard this year just in case.

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 09:13:57 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
https://uproxx.com/dimemag/marcus-smart-free-agency-rumors-boston-celtics/amp/

“I’ve talked to lots of people around the Celtics and around the league about Marcus Smart. If Marcus Smart was willing to take a – let’s say Sacramento for arguments sake or another team that isn’t quite good. And they offer him $14 million a year. And the Celtics say, ‘We can’t pay you that. But we’ll pay you $12 (million).’ My question to them was will Marcus Smart take it because they’re contending, he’s a cult hero in town. Every one of them said, ‘Hell no, he’s going for the money.’ I’ve never asked him this question. But that’s the impression I get. You can’t blame young guys who want to go out to the highest bidder and thinks he should be a starter and he’s not going to be one in Boston for many years to come.”

Interesting to note, Zach Lowe disagrees (however I don't know if he has asked inside sources for opinions  or its just a hunch):
https://twitter.com/BlazersBySagar/status/998734380070678528
"Simmons: “Is Kyrie Irving on the Celtics next year?”

Lowe: “Yes.”

Simmons: “Is Terry Rozier on the Celtics next year?”

Lowe: “Yup. I think everyone’s on the Celtics next year. I think [Marcus] Smart takes his qualifying offer."

This is a misrepresentation of what Lowe said. Lowe said Smart would take his qo if no one gave him a contract offer he liked, he never said anything about Smart staying with the C's for less money. In fact, the point Lowe was making was in agreement with what Jackie Mac was saying, which is that Marcus is going to try to get as much money as possible, even if that means taking less money short term to get more money next summer.

And Marcus should get as much money as he can. No reason at all he shouldn't pick the best contract offered to him. But I'm not sure he's going to find his skills valued more anywhere else.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Players that play as hard and reckless as Smart does with their bodies have got to take the money when they can get it. This is likely his best shot to get paid in his life, I can't blame him for prioritizing it.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 09:24:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Players that play as hard and reckless as Smart does with their bodies have got to take the money when they can get it. This is likely his best shot to get paid in his life, I can't blame him for prioritizing it.
Not only that if he can have a team willing to give him a realistic shot to start or have a bigger role I don't blame him for taking that either. He's not going to get that here for certain.

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Those fans will be p---ed when they watch him go 2-7 with 5 turnovers every 5 games. Overpaying hustle guys is the biggest mistake in the NBA. Fortunately we have a smart GM that knows this and wont make that mistake.

Here he has some strong support from some of the fans (I personally am not a big fan of his) we drafted him and have fans that love the grit. But in another city watching your only free agent who you paid big money for brick shot after shot isn't going to work and I'll bet big money on that!

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 09:26:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm sure that'll be on Danny's offseason radar but our draft position is such he might need to look in FA instead.

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 09:41:13 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm sure that'll be on Danny's offseason radar but our draft position is such he might need to look in FA instead.

I imagine I will get blasted for this one, but Indy has a team option next season on Lance Stephenson for $4.3M - I wonder what it would take to pry him away.

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 09:42:18 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
His agent will obviously want him to take the highest bid. However, I think the opportunity to compete and be in a position to win, will be another key factor given his style of play. It is one thing to dive for loose balls and doing every other little thing, that helps his team win. However, it is something totally different if that same style of play is on a 25 win team. Over time, he would be less motivated to make those plays, which would lead to his value being severely diminished for that next contract. Also, let’s not forget that Marcus is averaging around 30 minutes a night as a backup, which may be around 3-4 minutes less than a starter. So he is basically playing starter minutes.

I heard Wyc doing an interview on the Felger and Mazz show recently. He stated that he is not concerned about paying the luxury tax, and has no issue paying any player that he feels has earned it. To me, Marcus fits that definition of someone ownership is willing to pay.

When it comes to the Smart v Rozier debate, I’m team Smart. Scoring should not be an issue next season with Irving and Hayward coming back, which is the one key attribute that Rozier has over Smart. I just think Marcus is better defensively, at running the team, has a greater impact of motivating the players around him, and has that immeasurable it factor that separates possible championship caliber teams from good teams.

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 09:45:51 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't agree with the narrative that Smart is going to look for a bigger role.  He has a big role with the Celtics, about 30 mins/gm the last two seasons including plenty of time in the 4th quarter.  Starting or not does not seem to worry him.  I sense that he understands and likes his role on the Celtics.

As for the money, who knows what kind of offers he will get.  Historically, players always get more than I think they should.  Sometimes those contracts look really bad in a few years, sometimes they look OK.  I don't know what teams are going to bid him up.  $14M per seems really high to me.  I just can't think who is in a position to offer that.

Maybe the offers are few and he does settle for $6,000,000 QA and rolls the dice as a UFA. in 2019.