Author Topic: Brogdon + Golden State's 2024 Pick OR Jrue Holiday?  (Read 8769 times)

Brogdon + Golden State's 2024 Pick OR Jrue Holiday?
« on: January 16, 2024, 01:50:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Golden State's pick projected to go to Portland after the Holiday trade is currently at #10

That kind of makes me change my tune a little on the Holiday trade, even though I think Holiday is underratedly great, have always loved him + think he'll make a difference in the playoffs.

But still, makes you wonder... if we knew the GSW pick was likely a Top-10 pick would we have traded it + Brogdon + Timelord? That suddenly looks like an even better return for Portland, granted their return looked great from the beginning.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Brogdon + Golden State's 2024 Pick OR Jrue Holiday?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 01:58:21 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
As of now, I would take Holiday every single time.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 02:22:26 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
For a team trying to win now, I'd take Jrue eleven times out of ten.  Especially given the health of Brogdon and Williams this season. 

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 02:40:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I raised the same thought in another thread, but I'm all in on Jrue.

But, perhaps Timelord's injury wasn't inevitable, and in an alternate universe he's contributing something this year.  Then you're left with:

KP / Timelord / Kornet
Horford / Brissett
Tatum / Hauser
Brown / Brogdon
White / Pritchard

Then, you've got that GS pick and the Celtics 2029 #1 to trade during the season, along with Brogdon's and/or Timelord's salaries to package. 

Either way, I think we're top contenders.  But, Jrue is literally the perfect fit on this team, so if we paid a premium, so be it.  I'm happy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 02:46:13 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Yes. Williams and Brogdon are made of glass. Jrue has not even come close to showing us what he can do with the Celtics.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 02:58:59 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Granted that Robert Williams is out for the year and this isn't a great draft I think its still a fine move.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 03:06:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I raised the same thought in another thread, but I'm all in on Jrue.

But, perhaps Timelord's injury wasn't inevitable, and in an alternate universe he's contributing something this year.  Then you're left with:

KP / Timelord / Kornet
Horford / Brissett
Tatum / Hauser
Brown / Brogdon
White / Pritchard

Then, you've got that GS pick and the Celtics 2029 #1 to trade during the season, along with Brogdon's and/or Timelord's salaries to package. 

Either way, I think we're top contenders.  But, Jrue is literally the perfect fit on this team, so if we paid a premium, so be it.  I'm happy.

I think Stevens' logic was, they needed an improvement from Smart (and someone less "selfish/egotistical" for his role), and he didn't trust Timelord to stay healthy. Brogdon had to be in the deal but honestly I wonder if he really did sour on staying after being in the Porzingis trade rumors so CBS didn't mind doing it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 03:10:09 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
100% would take Holiday. He plays better in a system and as an unselfish ball-mover than Brogdon. He also plays baseline a lot to free up Brown and Tatum out front. That added wrinkle has been really effective and Brogdon could not do it. This doesn't even mention his stellar defense against all 5 positions.

I get the point, but I don't care about the 10th overall pick. You are hoping to get a player as good as Holiday at that pick.

Also, you have to remember who we were bidding against to get him. He'd likely being in Miami right now if we didn't grab him.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2024, 04:39:21 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Projected 10th pick who could turn out to just become another complete Kelly Olynyk or Terry Rozier in 3 or 4 years or an immediate contributor/playoff vet in Jrue.

Give me Jrue everyday of the week. C's need to win now, not draft and grow more rookies to come off the bench

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2024, 04:44:26 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Has anyone mentioned that Brogdon did not want to be here?

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024, 04:45:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Golden State's pick projected to go to Portland after the Holiday trade is currently at #10

That kind of makes me change my tune a little on the Holiday trade, even though I think Holiday is underratedly great, have always loved him + think he'll make a difference in the playoffs.

But still, makes you wonder... if we knew the GSW pick was likely a Top-10 pick would we have traded it + Brogdon + Timelord? That suddenly looks like an even better return for Portland, granted their return looked great from the beginning.

I would be quite surprised if the golden state ends up in top ten barring a curry injury. This just seems like a bit of panic at a low point for the warriors. I would imagine that everyone agrees the warriors are not trading Steph curry this year. They also are aware they down own their own pick. They also are aware they only have a few years left max of curry as a top 10-15 player. So they are gonna make moves. Whether that is trading kuminga, moody, Wiggins, Klay or some of their other young guys I have no clue. But they certainly have a lot more incentive to win this year than the Jazz or rockets (two teams keeping them out of playin). Do people really expect the warriors to stand pat without owning their own pick?

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 04:46:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Projected 10th pick who could turn out to just become another complete Kelly Olynyk or Terry Rozier in 3 or 4 years or an immediate contributor/playoff vet in Jrue.

Give me Jrue everyday of the week. C's need to win now, not draft and grow more rookies to come off the bench

A lot more likely to end up 16-18 than 10. Bit silly to revisit whenever warriors are doing bad.

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2024, 10:07:59 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Jrue fo sho
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2024, 10:49:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I do wonder if we could have included our pick and a couple of 2nds rather than the GSW pick. I’m fine with the trade, but it certainly wasn’t like a home run or anything. We overpaid both in terms of trade value and contract in order to bring in a great fit

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2024, 12:22:08 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
100% would take Holiday. He plays better in a system and as an unselfish ball-mover than Brogdon. He also plays baseline a lot to free up Brown and Tatum out front. That added wrinkle has been really effective and Brogdon could not do it. This doesn't even mention his stellar defense against all 5 positions.

I get the point, but I don't care about the 10th overall pick. You are hoping to get a player as good as Holiday at that pick.

Also, you have to remember who we were bidding against to get him. He'd likely being in Miami right now if we didn't grab him.

This is a big factor in this comparison, too. Miami was the likely recipient if not us, but Philly was also supposedly in the mix. Jrue going to either of those teams would've been terrible for us, and I think there'd be a lot more consideration of Boston, Milwaukee, and Miami/Philly all being on par or equivalent with each other instead of the consensus being Boston as the clear favorite with Milwaukee and Philly battling for second favorite right now.