Author Topic: WWE  (Read 163507 times)

WWE
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Just a discussion thread for other closet fans like me, I don't pony up for the PPV's, but i enjoy raw and smackdown.

Whats everyone think of the WM25 lineup so far? I think the orton-HHH match should be intersting, fans seem to be enjoying the storyline. The tag team match is also looking to be pretty good, though morrision needs to split off from the miz soon, he's too good a preformer to be stuck as a midlevel tag heel.

The micheals-taker match would have intrigued me alot more about 5 years ago, just because both guys are slowing down with thier in ring preformances. Should still be a good match though.

The triple threat match doesn't really intrest me, the only good in ring worker, IMO, is edge. Cena is good on the mic, and he's over huge with the fans, but i always find his matches subpar, and show is just a speed bump.

The one match i just don't get is the Y2J vs legands one. I know they got stuck when rourke pulled out on them, and i reserve the right to change my stance on this, but thats a terrable match to book arguably your 2nd best, 3rd for sure, heel in. It's just such a throw away match, and chris is to good a preformer to have baby sit 3 (at this point in there lives) non-wrestlers.

Stemming from that, The WWE needs to really learn how to write for heels. They have 3 heels with great heat that they aren't using to the best of thier ability. I mean, Y2J only has about 3-4 high level years left of in ring preformance, and your tossing one WM away on this match?

and orton is constantly booked as a coward, despite his entire gimmick being that he's unstoppable. I understand the heel dynamic is to be a coward at heart, but why is it that only hunter can get the " im a good wrestler AND a heel" push? Orton clealy deserves that push as well.

If you look at thier heel booking for WM, its laughable. They have jerico (again, mabey they change this match up, but right now its horrid) who has great heat in a comedy match.

they have hunter and orton finshing off a storyline that orton never should have been part of, thus having zero top level heel heat involved with faces.

and edge is in a match that for some reason inludes cena, which we have seen countless times, except now show is in it. weeee.

what are others thoughts on WM?

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: WWE
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:12:21 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I used to be a huge wrestling fan up to like Six years ago. I forgot what the drama was back then.

I saw Karl Malone fight live in Bash at the Beach in Daytona, only time I've seen wrestling live.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:53:31 AM »

Offline Mad Hatter

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 75
the card is OK, nothin really special.

honestly, they should get rid of the WWE spinner belt, and replace it with a new one.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:01:42 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
the card is OK, nothin really special.

honestly, they should get rid of the WWE spinner belt, and replace it with a new one.

yea thats my take on it.

The only one i still can't get over is Y2J vs. snuka, steamboat and piper.

I mean, you reinvent chris's heel character, quite succesfully judging by the heat he currently has, which is off the charts, and you throw away one of your best in ring and out of ring heels WM slot on a comedy match?

Again, the only way i can see them saving this is if one of the "legands" who's getting inducted this year makes a suprise apperance and challanges chris. austin on a one night only huge pay day mabey?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:12:50 PM »

Offline Mad Hatter

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 75
i somehow think steve austin will return to fight jericho. that's just me.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:31:20 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
i somehow think steve austin will return to fight jericho. that's just me.

has to be something, if you let the current legands booked win, even on cheating or a false finsh, you destroy chris as a heel, which would be stupid.

I mean, the whole reason they took the risk of moving him from cocky good guy where he was pretty over to evil heel was because the front office thought (correctly) that hunter was the only true heel in the company. Now you establish Y2J pretty well (better than the assumed im sure) and squash him by 3 non-wrestlers? makes no sense.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:37:20 PM by crownsy »

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »

Offline bookerman20

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
It just doesn't have the same quality characters like they did in the late '90s.  When you had Stone Cold, The Rock, and Triple H...they were all great on the mic.  They had great stroylines, and their matches were good.  Personally, I think Triple H should be a heel, he's more sadistic when he is.  Jericho needs to stay a heel. I hate the fact Orton is acting like a coward, he's better when he's always attacking.  Cena is just redunant....it's always the same with him.  Lose belt, get belt, Lose belt, get belt. It's just hard to get into with the same storyline over and over.  Now when they had Coporate Ministry....that was sick!!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:00:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
It just doesn't have the same quality characters like they did in the late '90s.  When you had Stone Cold, The Rock, and Triple H...they were all great on the mic.  They had great stroylines, and their matches were good.  Personally, I think Triple H should be a heel, he's more sadistic when he is.  Jericho needs to stay a heel. I hate the fact Orton is acting like a coward, he's better when he's always attacking.  Cena is just redunant....it's always the same with him.  Lose belt, get belt, Lose belt, get belt. It's just hard to get into with the same storyline over and over.  Now when they had Coporate Ministry....that was sick!!!!

yea, they defintly miss rock and austin promo wise.

jericho and hunter are the only real knock out promo guys left. Edge can get one in, and christan is funny, but not many others can. orton is doing his best, but his promo's are all still hit or miss.

I don't get why the fans are so over for cena, he has zero moves in the ring, and he has one dimensional mic skills.

to bad angle is semi-retired, I.E in TNA. he was a great heel. Him, Hunter, jerico, and orton would be one heck of a heel lineup.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 01:40:05 PM by crownsy »

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 02:17:58 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It's not just that the heels have better writing, the top heels (Edge, Jericho) are just so good with the mic, they can go off script so easily and still be great.  Then, they know how to put on a show in the ring.

In the late 90's, the WWE had faces that could do that as well in the Rock and Stone Cold.  They don't have that any more (except Micheals).  (especially since HHH should still be a heal)

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 02:28:12 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
It's not just that the heels have better writing, the top heels (Edge, Jericho) are just so good with the mic, they can go off script so easily and still be great.  Then, they know how to put on a show in the ring.

In the late 90's, the WWE had faces that could do that as well in the Rock and Stone Cold.  They don't have that any more (except Micheals).  (especially since HHH should still be a heal)

I totally agree, They really need a face to step up and be great. I mean, they have cena, who for some reason is very over with the fans, but other than that, no baby faces are really up to the heels level.

and with hunter being the only heel with real "heat" besides Y2J, you lose the only face that could talk.

I love shawn, but he can't really pull off the same promo's he could back then, nor can he back them up (darn you father time).

you think they have a twist opponent wise for y2j at WM? I just don't see how you can waste his heat in a comedy angle. Any heel could do a passable job with that angle (chris is doing a brillant job, but its just not needed) and pull off that match. I dont get where they are going with that.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 03:00:37 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
the only match i'm looking forward to is Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy. I love the way both of those guys perform together and individually. cant wait for that one. The rest of the main events are weak though.

Triple H and Randys Ortons match doesnt phase me. Ive seen them wrestle eachother plenty of times, the only difference now is that its at wrestlemania.

The triple threat doesnt really grab my attention either. John Cena = boring.

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
The world is not the same since WCW sold out. But NWO4LIFE will be forever. Can you dig it. >:(
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 04:39:35 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
just found this the other day. shame jericho didn't leave WCW earlier so he could have had longer fueds with rock and shawn in his prime ECt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LD9-geNXWo&feature=related

This is easily one of the best entrances of all time. At the time, it was actually a surprise to a decent chunk of fans too, since the internet had not quite exploded yet, and WCW, in it's typical unorganized fashion, never did any kind of "leaves the company angle" even though chris was one of thier most popular stars. so for all intents and purposes, he vanished from nitro and showed up a month later on the WWF.

some savey fans knew of course, but it was a great pop. still one of my top 10 moments of all time watching growing up.

what i wouldn't give to see stuff like this again between faces and heels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgzIsl6FCmw&feature=related

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 02:55:46 AM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Quick thoughts on the current WM 25 card so far:

-Y2J vs washed up legends isn't the way to go for one of the top heels in the business. I know that plans for Mickey Rourke, Stone Cold, Ric Flair, etc fell apart leaving the writers with few options but I still think this is ridiculous. Y2J deserves better than this. A mere filler match in the biggest PPV of the WWE.

-WWE is spending a lot of time hyping up HHH-Orton and HBK-Undertaker which I think have the potential to be the matches of the evening. The Cena-Edge-Big Show hype isn't doing a lot to excite me for the match.

-The Hardy vs Hardy match is interesting. Hopefully they can pull off some crazy bumps within the match. Another potential match of the evening, in my book.

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 07:32:27 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
yea im hoping for a last second swerve witht he y2j vs. old men storyline, otherwise, thats horrid angle making.