Author Topic: Dell Demps OUT at NOLA  (Read 6089 times)

Re: Dell Demps OUT at NOLA
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 12:27:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Owner prob mad he didnt take Lakers offer

What is your infatuation with the Lakers young core? They are pretty good, but all of them with the exception of Ingram, all pan out to be above average role players.

He's always been blinded by the allure of potential.
But they don't have the allure of potential, at least not super high level potential.  And if the owner wanted to take the deal he would have overruled the GM and just made the trade anyway.

I'm sure you're quite aware that the "allure of potential" depends on the eyes of the beholder.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 12:27:50 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The timing certainly seems to fit that narrative.  Seems like ownership was ready to move on the moment AD requested a trade.  Can't blame them, except they still stand to get a better return in the summer.  Their ownership is not thinking logically.

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 12:28:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Now ownership can take Lakers package in the summer viewing that the Celtics offer is not that exceptional to them.

Kuzma is an enticing piece.
I still have Kuzma 3rd as he really is basically the same player and hasn't shown much improvement from his rookie to 2nd year.  Ingram still has the highest potential and I honestly believe Ball has more top end potential than Kuzma.  Kuzma is far more likely to be a better player than Ball, especially with the health issues of Ball, but if you told me that between Kuzma and Ball only 1 of them would make an All NBA Team, I'd say it was Ball. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 12:33:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

What is your infatuation with the Lakers young core? They are pretty good, but all of them with the exception of Ingram, all pan out to be above average role players.

But they don't have the allure of potential, at least not super high level potential.  And if the owner wanted to take the deal he would have overruled the GM and just made the trade anyway.

I'm sure you're quite aware that the "allure of potential" depends on the eyes of the beholder.
Sure, but it is pretty widely known and believed that the Lakers don't have any top level prospects (aside from the diehard fans and media).  That doesn't mean one of them might not reach 1st Team All NBA status, but that would be a long shot.  And that is the reason that teams keep rejecting their trade proposals.  It really is that simple.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 12:41:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Sure, but it is pretty widely known and believed that the Lakers don't have any top level prospects (aside from the diehard fans and media).  That doesn't mean one of them might not reach 1st Team All NBA status, but that would be a long shot.  And that is the reason that teams keep rejecting their trade proposals.  It really is that simple.

Okay, that's all fine & dandy.  Not sure why you're trying to tell me this, though.  I wasn't the poster saying they should've taken the Lakers deal.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 12:48:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The timing certainly seems to fit that narrative.  Seems like ownership was ready to move on the moment AD requested a trade.  Can't blame them, except they still stand to get a better return in the summer.  Their ownership is not thinking logically.
the owner made all the decisions. If they wanted the La package they would have accepted it. There is no planet where an underling can decline what the boss wants especially in the nba when dealing with a superstar trade

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 12:49:23 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Now ownership can take Lakers package in the summer viewing that the Celtics offer is not that exceptional to them.

Kuzma is an enticing piece.
I still have Kuzma 3rd as he really is basically the same player and hasn't shown much improvement from his rookie to 2nd year.  Ingram still has the highest potential and I honestly believe Ball has more top end potential than Kuzma.  Kuzma is far more likely to be a better player than Ball, especially with the health issues of Ball, but if you told me that between Kuzma and Ball only 1 of them would make an All NBA Team, I'd say it was Ball.

I would disagree highly with both statements.
Kuzma would have to drastically improve his efficiency, average more rebounds, and have a consistent rate of 4-5 assists per game.
I just don’t see it with Kuzma. He’s a shot chucker, who also takes a lot of 3’s. Sure, he has great footwork and post awareness, but he will probably never make All NBA. Making the All-NBA is almost impossible, and literally last year so many talented players got left off All-NBA. Damian Lillard in 2017 is a perfect example.

Ball? Sure… He could make it in the same sense Draymond did…. Being the best passer/defender on a contending team, which based on recent evidence, and immense dislike for Lakers tampering/front office questionable actions, I don't see this happening any time soon… Both players would need to make a quantum leap to even be considered for All-NBA.
For perspective…

Rajon Rondo made it in 2011-2012, and he averaged 11.9 PPG, 11.7 APG, 1.8 SPG, and 4.7 RPG. He was in the conversation for top 3 PG, and while he couldn’t shoot 3’s/mid range game was still developing, he was a defensive savant that forced havoc on passing lanes. And he didn't even get further than All NBA 3rd team.
I believe Ball is 2x the defender Rondo is, plus he seems more engaged, and lets defense become his calling card. But gone are the days where players, especially point guards that are ‘pure,’ passers, can be great defenders, average high in assists, and make the All NBA.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
This doesn't affect AD at all

It was an expected move the second AD said he wants out. Plus the GM does not matter much in the grand schemes of a superstar trade. Superstar trades are ownership-level decisions.

I guess what I meant is will this affect which teams will have a leg up in trade talks?  Obviously AD is out the door regardless of who the GM is, but with the narrative that Demps didn't want to deal with the Lakers maybe a new guy in charge increases their odds?  I personally think the anti-LA narrative is BS as the Pels just wanted to wait until summer to see the Celtics and possibly the Knicks with Zion at the table.  But you never know...
I think this does affect AD. Maybe ownership got a call from LAL complaining on how the negotiations went. Maybe NOLA ownership agreed and dumped him. It's quite possible this happened.
As far as AD is concerned I think the odds are better for LAL now then they were last week, even though none of their players have  a higher upside than Tatum.

Actually, reports are that ownership and management (from NFL side, which oversees the NBA team) were the more hardline negotiators. Demps was just acting out directives. I don't think this changes anything. NO position is still the same: don't be bullied into taken any given deal, get the best return possible, and yes, possibly shaft LAL in the process if it works out that way.

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 12:50:07 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
There were rumors that Demps was out even before AD requested to be traded.  GMs are just employees.  If their ownership wanted to make the trade with the Lakers before the deadline, AD would already be traded. 

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 12:58:07 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

Fletcher Mackel

Verified account

@FletcherWDSU
 24m24 minutes ago
More
What people have to realize is Dell Demps was already on shaky ground and their was a good chance he was going to get fired this summer (and a new GM would handle trade when AD passed on extension).

The current AD fiasco DID NOT cause this firing...it simply sped up the process.

Fletcher Mackel

Verified account

@FletcherWDSU
 27m27 minutes ago
More
One name that will make the rounds in New Orleans regarding the @PelicansNBA GM job.
And someone who’s sure to impress Owner Gayle Benson and VP Mickey Loomis.
Celtics asst. GM Mike Zarren.
But given he’s passed on Sixers job (and others) he’s an extreme long shot for NOLA.

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 01:01:50 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Fletcher Mackel

Verified account

@FletcherWDSU
 24m24 minutes ago
More
What people have to realize is Dell Demps was already on shaky ground and their was a good chance he was going to get fired this summer (and a new GM would handle trade when AD passed on extension).

The current AD fiasco DID NOT cause this firing...it simply sped up the process.

Fletcher Mackel

Verified account

@FletcherWDSU
 27m27 minutes ago
More
One name that will make the rounds in New Orleans regarding the @PelicansNBA GM job.
But given he’s passed on Sixers job (and others) he’s an extreme long shot for NOLA.

I sure hope they don’t steal Zarren away from us. Side note it annoys when writers get their verses there wrong. Lol

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Fletcher Mackel

Verified account

@FletcherWDSU
 24m24 minutes ago
More

Fletcher Mackel

Verified account

@FletcherWDSU
 27m27 minutes ago
More

Get mike in there as GM! I would pay to see the crying from Laker fans about a Trojan horse, kevin mchale, etc

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 01:27:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Ownership’s plan with a new GM will be continuing to push back on Anthony Davis preferred trade destinations if they don’t make sense for Pels — especially with a full year left on his contract, per sources.

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 01:47:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
ftp://

Read Woj. Just the opposite. Ownership mad that they were being bullied by Lakers and Davis agent.  Reality check.

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 01:51:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Woj mentioned Griffin as a possible replacement. Not sure how I feel about that. Given his CLE/Lebron connection.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26004117/new-orleans-pelicans-fire-gm-dell-demps-wake-anthony-davis-saga-sources-say