Author Topic: Dell Demps OUT at NOLA  (Read 5840 times)

Re: Dell Demps OUT at NOLA
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 01:52:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Per Woj:

New Orleans owner Gayle Benson has been angry over the Davis trade demand and her belief that "outside forces" are trying to push the franchise into decisions that don't make sense for it, league sources said.

Her mandate has been to "take back control from outside forces," one league source told ESPN. Benson has been adamant with the organization to find a pathway to sustainable winning in one of the league's smallest markets, and plans to be aggressive in pursuing the best available candidates to oversee basketball operations, league sources said.

Among preliminary possible candidates, league sources tell ESPN: former Cleveland GM David Griffin.

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2019, 01:53:42 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Per Woj:

New Orleans owner Gayle Benson has been angry over the Davis trade demand and her belief that "outside forces" are trying to push the franchise into decisions that don't make sense for it, league sources said.

Her mandate has been to "take back control from outside forces," one league source told ESPN. Benson has been adamant with the organization to find a pathway to sustainable winning in one of the league's smallest markets, and plans to be aggressive in pursuing the best available candidates to oversee basketball operations, league sources said.

Among preliminary possible candidates, league sources tell ESPN: former Cleveland GM David Griffin.

I don't know how I feel about Zarren or David Griffin taking the helm.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2019, 01:54:11 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Per Woj:

Can't really blame her for being peeved off.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 02:01:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Per Woj:

Can't really blame her for being peeved off.

I think this will come down to Danny making the best offer, which may have to include Tatum.  If the offers between Celts and Lakers are "comparable", hard to imagine any GM agreeing to Laker's, given the history and same conference. So Danny has positioned himself extraordinarily well. Only wild card should be (i) Knicks getting Zion (12.5% chance?) and (ii) Celtics winning the NBA Championship this season (around the same odds), and (iii) Kyrie walking (I'd say about 20-30%).

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2019, 02:03:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Owner prob mad he didnt take Lakers offer

Either that or maybe the owner wants to hire a GM that will satisfy Davis, pick-up or trade for a couple decent pieces that will entice him to want to stay rather than deal him away.

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 02:04:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
"Pathway to sustained winning" really sounds like their preferred return in a Davis trade would be a player who is already established as a perennial All-Star and who fits with Holiday and perhaps Randle.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2019, 02:06:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
This doesn't affect AD at all

It was an expected move the second AD said he wants out. Plus the GM does not matter much in the grand schemes of a superstar trade. Superstar trades are ownership-level decisions.

I guess what I meant is will this affect which teams will have a leg up in trade talks?  Obviously AD is out the door regardless of who the GM is, but with the narrative that Demps didn't want to deal with the Lakers maybe a new guy in charge increases their odds?  I personally think the anti-LA narrative is BS as the Pels just wanted to wait until summer to see the Celtics and possibly the Knicks with Zion at the table.  But you never know...
I think this does affect AD. Maybe ownership got a call from LAL complaining on how the negotiations went. Maybe NOLA ownership agreed and dumped him. It's quite possible this happened.
As far as AD is concerned I think the odds are better for LAL now then they were last week, even though none of their players have  a higher upside than Tatum.

I don't understand. The Pelicans fired Dell Demps because of complaints from another franchise???

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2019, 02:07:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Benson doesn't like that, as outside forces, LeBron and Rich Paul tried to force her team to do what was not in her team's best interest and is now thinking of hiring the guy that worked in depth with LeBron and Paul for years in Cleveland, a guy LeBron thinks highly of.

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2019, 02:10:15 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Now ownership can take Lakers package in the summer viewing that the Celtics offer is not that exceptional to them.

Kuzma is an enticing piece.
I still have Kuzma 3rd as he really is basically the same player and hasn't shown much improvement from his rookie to 2nd year.  Ingram still has the highest potential and I honestly believe Ball has more top end potential than Kuzma.  Kuzma is far more likely to be a better player than Ball, especially with the health issues of Ball, but if you told me that between Kuzma and Ball only 1 of them would make an All NBA Team, I'd say it was Ball.

Lol, I am sorry but I don't see how anyone sees more upside in Ball than Kuzma. I was personally impressed with Kuzma when they played the Celtics. Yes, I know it was only one game but I was still impressed with what I saw and see Lonzo Ball as a below average player with a broken jump shot.

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2019, 02:37:16 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The timing certainly seems to fit that narrative.  Seems like ownership was ready to move on the moment AD requested a trade.  Can't blame them, except they still stand to get a better return in the summer.  Their ownership is not thinking logically.

If the owners wanted the trade, they would get it.

It could be the fact that the GM did not really do himself any favors by making his feelings public, and this made the franchise look bad. 

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2019, 02:41:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Now ownership can take Lakers package in the summer viewing that the Celtics offer is not that exceptional to them.

I still have Kuzma 3rd as he really is basically the same player and hasn't shown much improvement from his rookie to 2nd year.  Ingram still has the highest potential and I honestly believe Ball has more top end potential than Kuzma.  Kuzma is far more likely to be a better player than Ball, especially with the health issues of Ball, but if you told me that between Kuzma and Ball only 1 of them would make an All NBA Team, I'd say it was Ball.

Lol, I am sorry but I don't see how anyone sees more upside in Ball than Kuzma. I was personally impressed with Kuzma when they played the Celtics. Yes, I know it was only one game but I was still impressed with what I saw and see Lonzo Ball as a below average player with a broken jump shot.

I see more upside with Ball. He has elite court vision. He is an elite passer. He defends well for his position (Kuzma is considered a poor defender). He is much younger. His only drawback has been injuries, a crazy dad, and a bad jump shot, that was pretty good in college. I think he just needs to get away from Lebron and have his own team. He would probably flourish in a system that encouraged getting up and down a lot.

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2019, 02:43:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I would disagree highly with both statements.
Kuzma would have to drastically improve his efficiency, average more rebounds, and have a consistent rate of 4-5 assists per game.
I just don’t see it with Kuzma. He’s a shot chucker, who also takes a lot of 3’s. Sure, he has great footwork and post awareness, but he will probably never make All NBA. Making the All-NBA is almost impossible, and literally last year so many talented players got left off All-NBA. Damian Lillard in 2017 is a perfect example.

Ball? Sure… He could make it in the same sense Draymond did…. Being the best passer/defender on a contending team, which based on recent evidence, and immense dislike for Lakers tampering/front office questionable actions, I don't see this happening any time soon… Both players would need to make a quantum leap to even be considered for All-NBA.
For perspective…

Rajon Rondo made it in 2011-2012, and he averaged 11.9 PPG, 11.7 APG, 1.8 SPG, and 4.7 RPG. He was in the conversation for top 3 PG, and while he couldn’t shoot 3’s/mid range game was still developing, he was a defensive savant that forced havoc on passing lanes. And he didn't even get further than All NBA 3rd team.
I believe Ball is 2x the defender Rondo is, plus he seems more engaged, and lets defense become his calling card. But gone are the days where players, especially point guards that are ‘pure,’ passers, can be great defenders, average high in assists, and make the All NBA.
it appears you agree with me
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2019, 02:57:31 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
ftp://

Read Woj. Just the opposite. Ownership mad that they were being bullied by Lakers and Davis agent.  Reality check.
She decided to do a re-set on the entire organization.  Makes sense. They're not keeping Davis, they need to have something to sell the fans and Demps was a train wreck for the most part as a GM.  NBA franchises are too valuable of an asset to put your operation in the hands of clowns - and Demps was a clown.

They're basically an expansion team right now.  That's probably something you can market. Just erase the past and start over.

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2019, 03:01:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I would disagree highly with both statements.
Kuzma would have to drastically improve his efficiency, average more rebounds, and have a consistent rate of 4-5 assists per game.
I just don’t see it with Kuzma. He’s a shot chucker, who also takes a lot of 3’s. Sure, he has great footwork and post awareness, but he will probably never make All NBA. Making the All-NBA is almost impossible, and literally last year so many talented players got left off All-NBA. Damian Lillard in 2017 is a perfect example.

Ball? Sure… He could make it in the same sense Draymond did…. Being the best passer/defender on a contending team, which based on recent evidence, and immense dislike for Lakers tampering/front office questionable actions, I don't see this happening any time soon… Both players would need to make a quantum leap to even be considered for All-NBA.
For perspective…

Rajon Rondo made it in 2011-2012, and he averaged 11.9 PPG, 11.7 APG, 1.8 SPG, and 4.7 RPG. He was in the conversation for top 3 PG, and while he couldn’t shoot 3’s/mid range game was still developing, he was a defensive savant that forced havoc on passing lanes. And he didn't even get further than All NBA 3rd team.
I believe Ball is 2x the defender Rondo is, plus he seems more engaged, and lets defense become his calling card. But gone are the days where players, especially point guards that are ‘pure,’ passers, can be great defenders, average high in assists, and make the All NBA.
it appears you agree with me

Well your original premise is that Ball could eventually make All-NBA, my dispute is neither is talented enough to ever win All-NBA, and chances of Ball winning it would be almost impossible considering he cannot score, beat players off the dribble, not good enough handles to break down defenses, and his shooting/FT % is awful.

I simply noted that the last 'pure,' and we aren't talking about CP3, since he's more of a combo pass/scoring guard, and the last pure point guard in similar mold/body was Rajon Rondo.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2019, 03:22:14 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
This really isn't as big of a deal as some are making it out to be. Even the local New Orleans media says Demps was going to get fired soon anyways and deep down even he probably saw the writing on the wall. The timing is certainly a bit surprising (why not after this season) but it seemed to be the Pelicans were real irked about AD's actions last night and they realized they needed to do something or it would really look like they have no control over anything. Or it could also be they want to hire the next GM to evaluate what they have in the coming months left in the season and also to start the process of analyzing the potential trade offers teams could offer for AD in the summer. Unlike the CLE situation with Kyrie & Altman, they probably realize it's not ideal to just bring in a guy and immediately tell him, "trade AD by this week, good luck!"  :P

Demps was a goner anyways and I'm pretty sure the higher ups told him not to deal AD at the deadline, period. I just hope Gentry doesn't go next but hearing some of the quotes from the front office it seems his job is safe, which is nice seeing that really none of this stuff is his fault at all.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller