Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 956748 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1830 on: April 17, 2013, 10:24:32 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I took it back to my childhood tonight, about 8 or 9 years old, and watched Encino Man with Brendan Fraser, Paulie Shore and Sean Astin. 

Old school right there.
I personally think Brendan is underrated ... granted, he's not given the chance to play many serious roles and type-cast too much, but "Bedazzled" showed off his abilities pretty well, (loved him in that flick).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #1831 on: April 17, 2013, 10:52:17 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Went and saw Jurassic park 3D. One of the best times I can remember having at a movie cinema.

« Reply #1832 on: April 17, 2013, 11:25:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I took it back to my childhood tonight, about 8 or 9 years old, and watched Encino Man with Brendan Fraser, Paulie Shore and Sean Astin. 

Old school right there.
I personally think Brendan is underrated ... granted, he's not given the chance to play many serious roles and type-cast too much, but "Bedazzled" showed off his abilities pretty well, (loved him in that flick).

See for me Bedazzled was my 'jumped the shark moment' for Brendan Fraser. Anyone who grew up in the 90s has two images of Brendan Fraser, one, the lighthearted and goofy grunge jester from Airheads and Encino Man, and the serious actor from School Ties and With Honors. I was so young when I saw the serious movies that I can't remember enough about them to separate the nostalgia from the critical substance. I'm sure if I went back and watched them and tried to 'analyze' them now, but in my mind, they're movies that show important life lessons.

And then came the campy masterpiece called 'the mummy'. If you can pretend that there was never a sequel, if you can pretend that movie happened, and then was left alone, I'm sorry, I just love it.

And then he made Bedazzled, where he was a fluffy and terrible impersonation of a manic robin Williams. He's never really bounced back in my eyes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1833 on: April 17, 2013, 11:36:34 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Old school right there.

See for me Bedazzled was my 'jumped the shark moment' for Brendan Fraser. Anyone who grew up in the 90s has two images of Brendan Fraser, one, the lighthearted and goofy grunge jester from Airheads and Encino Man, and the serious actor from School Ties and With Honors. I was so young when I saw the serious movies that I can't remember enough about them to separate the nostalgia from the critical substance. I'm sure if I went back and watched them and tried to 'analyze' them now, but in my mind, they're movies that show important life lessons.

And then came the campy masterpiece called 'the mummy'. If you can pretend that there was never a sequel, if you can pretend that movie happened, and then was left alone, I'm sorry, I just love it.

And then he made Bedazzled, where he was a fluffy and terrible impersonation of a manic robin Williams. He's never really bounced back in my eyes.
To each his own ... guess that's what makes the world go 'round. I thought the way he switched gears from character-to-character was brilliant, and got no Robin Williams feel from any but maybe one. Sensitive guy was hilarious, as was the basketball star ... he also mastered his Russian and Spanish extremely well.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #1834 on: April 24, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Finally saw Lincoln last night.  As a huge history buff, and someone who has no problem with slow or dialogue-driven movies, I am surprised to say that I found this to be one of the biggest disappointments of the year.  Quite frankly, I was bored out of my mind, and I read history books for fun!  I found myself repeatedly losing interest in a movie that is about something I find incredibly interesting.

There were also way too many big names in it, even for minor characters...I found that to be a major distraction.  For the first half hour, instead of noticing the character, I kept thinking "where have I seen that actor before?"  Only Day-Lewis truly disappeared into the role of Lincoln (he was a lone bright spot in an otherwise dull and meandering movie).

« Reply #1835 on: April 24, 2013, 10:12:36 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Saw "The Sapphires" over the weekend, a feel-good movie based on a true story out of Australia during the Vietnam war

« Reply #1836 on: April 24, 2013, 11:15:04 AM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Skyfall, wasn't bad, wasn't great. It was the first Bond movie I've seen that strayed from the formula.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #1837 on: April 25, 2013, 04:20:26 AM »

Kiorrik

Iron Man 3.

Eh. It was alright I guess.

« Reply #1838 on: April 26, 2013, 09:13:25 AM »

Offline Sievers81

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Iron Man 3.

Eh. It was alright I guess.

Saw it the other day as well, same reaction. If there was ever a movie that warranted the reaction of "been there, done that" this was it (still better than the absolutely abysmal IM2). Queue Downey Jr sarcastic one-liners, some action sequences and thats the whole movie.

« Reply #1839 on: April 26, 2013, 11:07:15 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Recently re-watched A History Of Violence and Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou.

A History of Violence: Mostly holds up from when I adored this movie as it first came out. The movie does a great job of setting expectations, but then taking its time getting to them to the point where you're almost surprised when what you expected to happen actually does. I'm making it sound like a bad thing, but its not. They're building suspense, by being patient and having a very precise and intuitive sense of timing. No payoff waits so long that it fails to meet expectations (LANGOLIERSSSSSS!!!!!).

There is however, this weird perverted sense to the movie. Peoples' touches linger too long, guys stare into each others eyes a beat more than feels comfortable. All the 'intimate' scenes in the movie between the protagonist and his wife are kind of..off-center. It is still a great movie with compelling characters, but it isn't all that it seems..or maybe I mean, it isn't JUST what it seems.

Life Aquatic: I simply loved this movie. The imagery, the characters, the dry humor, the 'preciousness' of it all. I just loved it. I am way more of a Wes Anderson fan than I realized.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1840 on: April 26, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Watched Wreck it Ralph last night.

I loved it. Simple plot. Funny. Highly creative. Storyline was similar to a Toy Story only with video games. A sequel is in the works which would involve Mario. Great fun movie with not much thinking involved.

« Reply #1841 on: April 26, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I watched two movies recently, and both were awesome.

Monsterhouse: a few years old now, a kids animated movie that wasn't a kids movie, and wasn't really animated, but motion-captured. This movie is kinda messed up, in a good way, really reminds you how being 12 years old, with the world against you feels. It sounds stupid, but I remember being 12, always confused, insecure, and with an odd feeling that everyone older than me was either out to get me, or didn't understand me. It's a I imaginative plot well acted and better written.

Killing Them Softly: this movie left me saying 'wow, that was a great movie!' It's a gangster movie, set as social commentary, headlined by phenomenal dialogue and perfect casting. Brad Pitt, James Gandlefini, Ray Liotta are the big names, but all the guys on screen more than pulled their own weight. Also, while it is a little slow for action, when the action comes...man do you feel it. So beautifully shot it made me a little mad users only gave it a 46% or something on rotten tomatoes.

I liked it but thought it was too safe. Could have been great.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #1842 on: April 26, 2013, 08:14:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Perks of being a wallflower....excellent. Very excellent. A miracle has occurred. A good movie has been made that didn't involve a hobbit. Kinda reminded me of Garden State

« Reply #1843 on: April 26, 2013, 11:00:10 PM »

Kiorrik

Good Will Hunting.

Great stuff. Really love it. Seen it for the third time now, and it had been ages, and I have a new appreciation for the movie.

« Reply #1844 on: April 26, 2013, 11:03:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The Croods

Pretty goofy.  Some very colorful critters and a few laughs.
Yup