Author Topic: Ray Allen Free Agency 'News' (Breaking Speculation: He's staying AND leaving)  (Read 123633 times)

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Can we make him a front page story for the Boston Globe/Herald newspaper to stay?!?!

It would probably touch him believe it or not as silly as it sounds.

Someone posted that a full page ad is $8,645. The thought definitely ran through my mind too but not for that kind of money.

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
By Brian Windhorst

No answer out of Ray Allen

Free agent Ray Allen left his meeting with the Miami Heat on Thursday night without giving them an answer on their contract offer and is torn on whether to leave the Boston Celtics, sources told ESPN.com on Friday.

The most the Heat could offer is three years and $9.5 million.

The sources did not go into specifics, saying Allen is torn because remaining a Celtic is still very much an option.

Heat stars LeBron James and Dwyane Wade have recruited Allen. Riley and Spoelstra were believed to have presented a plan where Allen would have a major role in the offense playing alongside them and Chris Bosh. The Heat are hoping that the offer entices Allen to leave money on the table and end his five-year partnership with Celtics stars Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.

Link

That is a pretty good offer. Major role in the offense, starter (presumably).

I can see why Ray would be tempted by that.
I don't get where you get starter from that if he were best believe it would have been the main thing pointed out in the article that he was offered to start. That just sounds like they told him what they envisioned him w/ the Big Three spreading the floor which of course was going to happen anyway.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
Has it even been reported that Ray has had a meeting with Boston?

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Ray went to Miami looking to see if there was a potential role for him as a starter/heavy minute player with the Heat and to get leverage over the Celtics.

Since he clearly won't start in Miami unless Wade moves to the point (not likely), the pay cut with the Heat simply won't be worth it.

I think it's fairly clear Ray's going to take Boston's offer. The real question is whether it will be to come back as a Celtic or to facilitate a sign and trade to a team where he would start (Memphis/Minnesota). Either way, the Celtics win.
He easily could start, it would just require them committing to continued small ball. Either way this would be their closing line up:

Chalmers/Wade/Ray/LBJ/Bosh

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
It's times like this where you feel really powerless as a fan. If only there was someway to let him know how much we really want him here...

Well the fact that he's torn is somewhat good news, I guess?

Lol, you only feel powerless at times like this?  Free agency, substitution patterns, play calling is all at the discrepancy of the front office, players and coaches.  We are always powerless, haha.

lol so true

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
By Brian Windhorst

Free agent Ray Allen left his meeting with the Miami Heat on Thursday night without giving them an answer on their contract offer and is torn on whether to leave the Boston Celtics, sources told ESPN.com on Friday.

The sources did not go into specifics, saying Allen is torn because remaining a Celtic is still very much an option.

Heat stars LeBron James and Dwyane Wade have recruited Allen. Riley and Spoelstra were believed to have presented a plan where Allen would have a major role in the offense playing alongside them and Chris Bosh. The Heat are hoping that the offer entices Allen to leave money on the table and end his five-year partnership with Celtics stars Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.

Link

I don't get where you get starter from that if he were best believe it would have been the main thing pointed out in the article that he was offered to start. That just sounds like they told him what they envisioned him w/ the Big Three spreading the floor which of course was going to happen anyway.

Major role in the offense sounds a lot more important than just spacing the floor for LeBron and Co.

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Can we make him a front page story for the Boston Globe/Herald newspaper to stay?!?!

Someone posted that a full page ad is $8,645. The thought definitely ran through my mind too but not for that kind of money.
well I dont mean us but Celtics management lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I think it's important to note that he is coming HOME to make this decision. The Celtics are gonna be the last ones to get to him and be in his head before he mskes this decision (I hate that word now.) To a guy like Ray, I think its important that thos is where home is, and home is where the best deal is.

The fact that he is reportedly so torn about this goes to show you, the stuff with Rajon makes no difference here. It's all about him letting go of his ego and realizing he's not a starter in this league anymore. Who knows though, with Bradley out untill December (maybe,) Ray could play so well that he supplants himself back into that starting unit.

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
By Brian Windhorst

Link

Major role in the offense sounds a lot more important than just spacing the floor for LeBron and Co.
I think something as big as that would have been pointed out in the article. I dont think they'd want to make any promises like that either when they have a lineup that worked for them and just won the title.

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Use the power of twitter!

Tweet #StayRay to @greenRAYn20 or something ;)

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
Sounds like good news to me...if miami hasn't sold him he may just decide to go back to boston

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney

well I dont mean us but Celtics management lol

Lol they'd never do that. They can express their desire to keep him directly for free.

Offline Shoot the J

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 33

Maybe somebody could tweet a picture of Ray Allen in a Celtics jersey....anyone good with photoshop?

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40

Could I pay in Disney dollars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VsefY9kWcI

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Maybe somebody could tweet a picture of Ray Allen in a Celtics jersey....anyone good with photoshop?

This made me LOL  ;D
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford