Author Topic: Ray Allen Free Agency 'News' (Breaking Speculation: He's staying AND leaving)  (Read 123520 times)

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
This is from LeBron groupie and Andy Milonakis impersonator, Brian Windhurst:

Quote from: ESPNBoston
LeBron James and Chris Paul are the closest of friends, but they will be at cross purposes over the next few days. They are recruiting against each other for the services of Ray Allen.

Allen hasn’t ruled out re-signing with the Boston Celtics, who have made him a strong monetary offer, but signs are pointing to Allen choosing between James' Miami Heat and Paul's Los Angeles Clippers.

On Thursday, the Heat will host Allen for a visit as they try to convince him to accept less money and perhaps a lesser role to join their bid to repeat as champions. Friday, Allen is scheduled to visit the Clippers, who have more money to offer and a clear role as the starting shooting guard.

Another pertinent part of the article:

The Clippers spent much of last season searching for a shooting guard to fit the rest of their strong starting lineup, often playing Mo Williams out of position there and also making a deadline deal for Nick Young. Randy Foye was the starter for a majority of the season. Allen, who turns 37 on July 20, would slide in perfectly to that role with a top flight point guard in Paul setting him up.

To offer Allen a starting role, or even late-game minutes as part of their finishing lineup, the Heat would have to make some changes. They could go a number of different ways but it would likely either lead to Allen or Wade, the incumbent at shooting guard, playing out of their normal positions to start and finish games. It helps, of course, that James can play power forward and Chris Bosh can play center.

Breaking Speculation!!!

A source close to Allen indicates the Celtics are making a heavy push to get this done, attempting to answer his issues along the way.

Allen told the Herald months ago that he didn’t want to have to sweat out another trade deadline after nearly being moved in the past, and word is the Celts are ready to comply with either a no-trade clause or a trade kicker that would get him a good sized raise in salary if he does get moved.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:52:47 PM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Ray Allen Free Agency News (Breaking Speculation: No trade clause?)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:16:08 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I would much rather him go to the Clippers. Plus I think he would make them very dangerous.

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:18:48 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
if ray goes to miami, it isn't about the money..it is about the inside issues...and I don't want to hear miami gives him a better chance of a title...with all boston is adding and getting back, the Cs can compete with miami and win the east

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I would much rather him go to the Clippers. Plus I think he would make them very dangerous.

Yeah if given the choice, its LA, but any choice that isnt the Celtics makes me a sad Panda.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 11:20:31 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Really hope he doesn't go to Miami.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 11:30:21 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'd rather he go to the Clips than Miami, but still want him in Boston. I don't think of Ray as a ring Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., but if he goes to Miami, I might have to change my opinion on that. If it's about the playing time and he goes to the Clips, I can respect that. Still, my first preference is to see him in Green next season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:36:30 AM »

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
I'd be happy, very happy, if ray goes to the clippers in a sign&trade for nick young.
I know, i know... Most of you prefer nothing rather than having young...

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Miami really makes no sense unless ray really is just a ring chasing mercenary.

Clippers or boston make a lot more sense

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 11:40:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I like Windhorst overall, but he's made a career out of LBJ and pretty much represents his camp's viewpoint. When he says "signs" I assume they are the ones providing them.

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 11:42:06 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Would Wade be able to play the SF position full time?

As he gets older and continues to lose some of his quickness and explosiveness, would he be the better offensive threat at the SF position vs SG position? If so, would that increase in offense be enough to offset the decrease in defense/rebounding?

Can Wade be a good enough defender/rebounder at SF to make that transition?

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 11:44:27 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I like Windhorst overall, but he's made a career out of LBJ and pretty much represents his camp's viewpoint. When he says "signs" I assume they are the ones providing them.

Yeah I don't think Windhorst is bad but he's not a guy I'd go to for sources on free agents or anything.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 11:44:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

As he gets older and continues to lose some of his quickness and explosiveness, would he be the better offensive threat at the SF position vs SG position? If so, would that increase in offense be enough to offset the decrease in defense/rebounding?

I think he'd do fine on the glass, I don't think his defense would remain at the same high level.

I also question his improved offensive threat at the 3. First of all his post up game is already such a big part of that, would he be able to go there as much. Also unless Miami gets a more dynamic SG option teams will just put their weaker defenders on the Miller/Allen/Jones/etc. types.

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 11:45:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Yeah I don't think Windhorst is bad but he's not a guy I'd go to for sources on free agents or anything.
Its just that his sources are all from the core of his career, LBJ and company, at this point. As an analyst and opinion guy I like him a lot, if he can stay around national NBA media he'll likely diversify more.

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

By today's standards, Pierce is an undersized small forward and Wade is a good bit smaller than Paul.  I think there's too many match ups where he'd get physically dominated for it to work.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 11:47:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

By today's standards, Pierce is an undersized small forward and Wade is a good bit smaller than Paul.  I think there's too many match ups where he'd get physically dominated for it to work.

Mike

Pierce is one of the stronger SF in the NBA.

6'7 235 is not undersized at SF.