Author Topic: Monroe will soon be bought out?  (Read 7075 times)

Monroe will soon be bought out?
« on: November 07, 2017, 08:01:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Adrian Wojnarowski

No conversations yet on a Suns-Greg Monroe contract buyout, league sources tell ESPN. Suns will likely explore trade possibilities first, but it is unlikely partnership extends through end of the season. This is final year of Monroe's deal.

Re: Monroe will soon be bought out?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:06:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Adrian Wojnarowski

No conversations yet on a Suns-Greg Monroe contract buyout, league sources tell ESPN. Suns will likely explore trade possibilities first, but it is unlikely partnership extends through end of the season. This is final year of Monroe's deal.

you want the Celts to pick him up?  yes or no

He has been historically a Celtics killer

Old school big man that can handle/pass, work the low post, good rebounder but can't shoot a lick

I'm not sure myself...

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Adrian Wojnarowski

Old school big man that can handle/pass, work the low post, good rebounder but can't shoot a lick

I'm not sure myself...

Yes, I do. People want Okafor, but if we are comparing the two Monroe is the superior player. Unlike Okafor, Monroe can pass, rebound, and defend the post. He would be a great option off the bench to add scoring and take advantage of weak second string bigs. He's also said to be a good teammate and never once complained about having his minutes cut in Milwaukee.

Oh, he's also durable and Okafor isn't. Don't let his current "injury" fool you. I have a strong feeling that it was just a ploy as they worked on the desk with the Suns.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:22:06 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Love how all these teams are trying to get rid of their slow post playing bigs. Lol

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 08:24:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Adrian Wojnarowski

I'm not sure myself...

Yes, I do. People want Okafor, but if we are comparing the two Monroe is the superior player. Unlike Okafor, Monroe can pass, rebound, and defend the post. He would be a great option off the bench to add scoring and take advantage of weak second string bigs. He's also said to be a good t manage and never once complained about having his minutes cut in Milwaukee.

Oh, he's also durable and Okafor isn't. Don't let his current "injury" fool you. I have a strong feeling that it was just a ploy as they worked on the desk with the Suns.

And  I think under CBS his passing and IQ can flourish

but his inability to shoot .... =T

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:24:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Adrian Wojnarowski

I'm not sure myself...

Yes, I do. People want Okafor, but if we are comparing the two Monroe is the superior player. Unlike Okafor, Monroe can pass, rebound, and defend the post. He would be a great option off the bench to add scoring and take advantage of weak second string bigs. He's also said to be a good teammate and never once complained about having his minutes cut in Milwaukee.

I don’t know if I’d describe Monroe as a good defender in any capacity. He’s definitely better at Center than PF, but is there a basis for thinking he can defend the post? And by that, do you just mean post-ups, or do you think he’s an adequate rim protector?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Adrian Wojnarowski

I'm not sure myself...

I don’t know if I’d describe Monroe as a good defender in any capacity. He’s definitely better at Center than PF, but is there a basis for thinking he can defend the post? And by that, do you just mean post-ups, or do you think he’s an adequate rim protector?

He can defend the post effectively. He's a strong player, who's able to maintain position, and has a good understanding of defensive post play (don't see him going for many fakes). His high screen and roll D is another story, as his lateral quickness has never been a strong suit. He's not a rin protector per say, but he is able to grab rebounds, which limits second shot opportunities. If he can bring 80% of what Baynes brings defensively, playing big and tough, then it would be a fine addition.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 08:33:37 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Adrian Wojnarowski

I'm not sure myself...

Isn't the question more if we see Monroe as a better option than either Baynes or Theis?

On def I def don't see him as better, but he has scored a lot of points on us in the last few years.  He looked pretty good against us earlier this year - 17 min 8 points 6 rebounds.  He hasn't seen any minutes since that game though.  4 straight games with no minutes, I guess he might be injured?

I could see why we might be at least a bit interested.  Veteran big guy that can get points and rebounds for the 2nd unit.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Same was true of Kyrie many thought and yet he has bought in, maybe Monroe will as well.   I trust DA if he thinks it best, I support him but to each his own.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 09:19:15 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Not much interest in Monroe. Don't think he would accept an end of bench role.

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 09:22:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Morris definitely seems to have filled that last 'big' role, but I suppose Monroe could be a better option than Theis. The thing about Theis is even though he isn't a particularly great playmaker and I don't love his post game, he does exactly what you want your 4th big to be able to do: bring energy, rebound, block, even knock down an outside shot.

I'm afraid Monroe is just going to be a worse version of Horford/Morris/Baynes - although I suppose he has the potential to be very good, as he once was. Theis brings something totally different.

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 09:27:24 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Always thought Monroe was a solid player and would be interested in him as a buyout guy. Would give us another look in playoff series depending on matchups. Like his size and passing ability.

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 09:27:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have no interest in dinosaurs. Whether that's Al Jefferson, Greg Monroe, Jahlil Okafor, or some other post only scoring, non outside shooting, poor defending big man doesn't matter. They don't belong on this team in this system.

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 09:31:43 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I have no interest in dinosaurs. Whether that's Al Jefferson, Greg Monroe, Jahlil Okafor, or some other post only scoring, non outside shooting, poor defending big man doesn't matter. They don't belong on this team in this system.

As a defender, Monroe is on a completely different level than those other 2.

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
i think the Celts will pass

last years team tries hard to bring him in

But not this years group.  Its his inability to make the 15-17 footers