Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 371940 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1365 on: November 27, 2018, 10:05:15 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Cavs have reportedly offered Korver and a protected pick for Fultz

Dang. #1 Pick potentially could be traded for 37-year old Korver + a heavily protected pick  :o

If the Sixers never take that "next step", then the Fultz/Tatum Draft will be what haunts the Sixers the most IMHO.
Funny how a protected pick becomes a heavily protected pick on here when the Sixers are involved.  In a dozen more posts, it'll probably be a 2nd rounder. 

Unless the Kings draft pick turns out much better than it currently looks (late lottery), I doubt the Fultz trade would haunt the Sixers most.  If the trade didn't occur, Fultz is almost certainly available at the 3rd spot where the Sixers were picking.  Losing a late lottery pick isn't that big of a deal especially when it was acquired in a salary dump heist.

Yeah, all they ended up losing in that case was Tatum. Clearly though he's not good enough for that PHI team and just wouldn't fit that team.  ::)

And what first round pick is CLE offering PHI? Because right now CLE is pretty much a lock to land a Top-3 pick with the one they have this year.
If the trade doesn't happen, Danny drafts Tatum at #1 and Magic drafts Ball at #2.  So the Sixers wouldn't have a shot at Tatum anyway. 

It would be their own protected 1st that would presumably roll over into future years until at some point it would convey or convert to 2nd round picks.  Where did you think the "heavily protected 1st" was coming from? 

Cleveland isn't a lock to have a top 3 pick.  With the new lottery odds, the worst record team has a 47.9% chance of ending up with the 5th pick.  Now in all likelihood the pick would be lottery protected or top 10 at best so it wouldn't convey in the next draft.   

Right because the Sixers were obligated to take a bust at #3. League rules prevented them from trading a couple spots down and selecting Fox or way down and selecting Mitchell. Thankfully they were mandated to take broken shot/brain Fultz.
Are you dense or do you just not read the posts?  I was commenting on the trade itself not on their decision to draft Fultz.  Colangelo traded up to get #1 to get Fultz.  He certainly would have taken Fultz if he had fallen to #3.

Personally Fox was my guy and I would have preferred him over Fultz or Tatum.  Now for the Sixers there would have probably been compatibility issues with Fox and Simmons and for us Fox would have been stuck behind Irving.

So according to you I’m dense and Potter has reading comprehension? Perhaps it’s you that aren’t making yourself clear and nobody seems to really understand what p--- poor excuse you’re trying to make in order to minimize the disastrous decision of trading away the #3 (Tatum) and the Kings pick for what may turn out to be the decaying remains of Kyle Korver and a top 55 protected second round pick.
Tatum would have never been the #3 for the Sixers.  If the trade doesn't happen, Danny takes Tatum #1. 

Obviously if Fultz busts or if they can't get much in trade for him that's a big deal for the Sixers.  However, I don't see that as "haunting the Sixers the most if they don't take the next step".  I never saw Fultz as a franchise player or the clear cut #1 player in that draft, before or after the trade.  Regardless of what happens with Fultz, they ought to be able to build a championship contender around Embiid, Simmons, Butler and 20M in cap space this offseason.

« Reply #1366 on: November 28, 2018, 09:49:39 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Dang. #1 Pick potentially could be traded for 37-year old Korver + a heavily protected pick  :o

If the Sixers never take that "next step", then the Fultz/Tatum Draft will be what haunts the Sixers the most IMHO.
Funny how a protected pick becomes a heavily protected pick on here when the Sixers are involved.  In a dozen more posts, it'll probably be a 2nd rounder. 

Unless the Kings draft pick turns out much better than it currently looks (late lottery), I doubt the Fultz trade would haunt the Sixers most.  If the trade didn't occur, Fultz is almost certainly available at the 3rd spot where the Sixers were picking.  Losing a late lottery pick isn't that big of a deal especially when it was acquired in a salary dump heist.

Edit: I disagree with your take. It is hard for me to believe you actually believe all this stuff, but if you do, more power to you

« Reply #1367 on: November 28, 2018, 09:50:17 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Celticsstrong’s resident Sixers fan strikes again!

And aren’t you forgetting something? Not only would it be losing a “late lottery pick,” which I think we all know will be better than that by year’s end, it would also be losing a top-3 pick in what is one of the better drafts in recent memory, all for a washed up Kyle Korver and middling first round pick, as we all know he’s not drawing an unprotected or even lightly protected first round pick at this point.

Well said potter

« Reply #1368 on: November 28, 2018, 09:55:51 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Also, to be clear, the Cavs believe they could get a 1st for Korver at the deadline, so they would essentially be trading 2 late 1st's for Fultz, which is certainly a lot more value then a lot of people on this board think Fultz has at this point.

This seems like a leap Moranis with how little info we have. Heavily protected first often does equal a second rounder. Look at the Justin Anderson trade. Either way that is incredibly awful value for a number one pick in his second year. No way to put lipstick on that pig.

« Reply #1369 on: November 28, 2018, 10:55:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Also, to be clear, the Cavs believe they could get a 1st for Korver at the deadline, so they would essentially be trading 2 late 1st's for Fultz, which is certainly a lot more value then a lot of people on this board think Fultz has at this point.

This seems like a leap Moranis with how little info we have. Heavily protected first often does equal a second rounder. Look at the Justin Anderson trade. Either way that is incredibly awful value for a number one pick in his second year. No way to put lipstick on that pig.
Oh no doubt it is terrible value for a #1 pick in year 2, but it appears to be a lot more than most of this board pegged Fultz's value as and if that trade was actually offered, Philly clearly didn't accept it (so they think the value is greater than that).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1370 on: November 28, 2018, 11:26:23 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

Celticsstrong’s resident Sixers fan strikes again!

And aren’t you forgetting something? Not only would it be losing a “late lottery pick,” which I think we all know will be better than that by year’s end, it would also be losing a top-3 pick in what is one of the better drafts in recent memory, all for a washed up Kyle Korver and middling first round pick, as we all know he’s not drawing an unprotected or even lightly protected first round pick at this point.

Well said potter

LOL I read that in the voice of Severus Snape  :P

(RIP  :'( )
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1371 on: November 29, 2018, 06:51:20 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
A win/win trade I've been talking about for a couple weeks would be for Philly to trade Fultz and the Chandler expiring to the Cavs for George Hill and Kyle Korver (both have 2 years left on their deals). 

- Cavs get to take a chance on Fultz and shed some long-term salary.

- Philly gets some lethal shooting to put around SImmons.  George Hill is shooting 53% from the field and 48% from three.  Korver is well known as an elite shooter.  You trot out a line-up of Hill, Redick, Butler, Simmons and Embiid - you have basically 4 great shooters around Simmons. 

As-is, I think Philly is well positioned to beat the Raptors in the ECF, but that trade probably locks them in as the favorites.

The only reason Philly should NOT do that trade is because they are in line for max cap space this Summer to add a 4th star to pair with their 3 current all-stars.   

Considering there are unrestricted free agents like Durant, Kawhi, Kemba, Klay, Kyrie and Middleton this Summer - pairing one of them with Embiid, Simmons and Butler could swing the era.

Wait seriously? You think PHI is well positioned to beat TOR??  ???

I don't think Boston is either by the way, but neither is PHI.
Forget it. This is lb spouting about the sixers. Remember his ideas on okafur.? Logic will not apply here.
Nah.  Philly has the most talent in the East.  Whether or not that results in them knocking off the Raptors in the ECF remains to be seen.  Last season, they underachieved and got embarrassed by a significantly less talented squad.  Could happen again, I guess.  Premium Brand Ricky Davis takes them to another level.  Can't rule out the Bucks either - they should be in the mix.

« Reply #1372 on: November 29, 2018, 02:03:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
A win/win trade I've been talking about for a couple weeks would be for Philly to trade Fultz and the Chandler expiring to the Cavs for George Hill and Kyle Korver (both have 2 years left on their deals). 

- Philly gets some lethal shooting to put around SImmons.  George Hill is shooting 53% from the field and 48% from three.  Korver is well known as an elite shooter.  You trot out a line-up of Hill, Redick, Butler, Simmons and Embiid - you have basically 4 great shooters around Simmons. 

As-is, I think Philly is well positioned to beat the Raptors in the ECF, but that trade probably locks them in as the favorites.

The only reason Philly should NOT do that trade is because they are in line for max cap space this Summer to add a 4th star to pair with their 3 current all-stars.   

Considering there are unrestricted free agents like Durant, Kawhi, Kemba, Klay, Kyrie and Middleton this Summer - pairing one of them with Embiid, Simmons and Butler could swing the era.

Forget it. This is lb spouting about the sixers. Remember his ideas on okafur.? Logic will not apply here.
Nah.  Philly has the most talent in the East.  Whether or not that results in them knocking off the Raptors in the ECF remains to be seen.  Last season, they underachieved and got embarrassed by a significantly less talented squad.  Could happen again, I guess.  Premium Brand Ricky Davis takes them to another level.  Can't rule out the Bucks either - they should be in the mix.

I think they overacheived last season and got exposed by a well run team in the playoffs but I agree with most else of what you said. Acquiring Jimmy Butler has risen their ceiling. I think Toronto is the better team but Philly probably does have the most talent in the East, with their top 3.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1373 on: November 29, 2018, 06:00:07 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I think they overacheived last season and got exposed by a well run team in the playoffs but I agree with most else of what you said. Acquiring Jimmy Butler has risen their ceiling. I think Toronto is the better team but Philly probably does have the most talent in the East, with their top 3.
The Sixers did overachieve last season with 52 wins, 3rd seed in the East and winning a playoff series.  The preseason projections were they'd finish around .500 and barely make/miss the playoffs. 

Butler helps them quite a bit.  He's already hit 2 game winners and he's far from integrated into the Sixers offense and defense schemes.  If he's truly focused on winning, he'll re-sign with them but is he comfortable being the 2nd or 3rd star behind Embiid and Simmons.   

« Reply #1374 on: November 29, 2018, 09:34:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Oh no doubt it is terrible value for a #1 pick in year 2, but it appears to be a lot more than most of this board pegged Fultz's value as and if that trade was actually offered, Philly clearly didn't accept it (so they think the value is greater than that).

Yeah, they did the same with Okafor. How’d that work out?

« Reply #1375 on: November 29, 2018, 10:21:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Yeah, they did the same with Okafor. How’d that work out?
It is a somewhat different situation.  Teams are actually interested in getting Fultz albeit at a rather low value for a #1 pick.  Teams weren't expressing interest in Okafor.  Even if Okafor had shown improvement, his skillset was geared to 90s play not modern basketball.  Whereas if Fultz gets his situation dealt with, he's got a modern NBA skillset.  Fultz actually has shown some good flashes on the court.  While his fit has been problematic with Simmons, Fultz had actually worked pretty well with Embiid in the pick-and-roll. 

On a side note, Fultz was apparently back with the Sixers today but he didn't take part in practice. 

« Reply #1376 on: November 30, 2018, 02:40:19 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Which team is actually  interested in Fultz???

« Reply #1378 on: November 30, 2018, 05:54:18 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Phoenix

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/markelle-fultz-trade-rumors-suns-interested-in-former-no-1-pick-76ers-need-him-to-be-truthful-about-shooting-issues/
Cleveland was too. Apparently the lack of truthfulness about what the issue really is physical, mental, both is a significant impediment.  Flutz's camp isn't doing him any favors by throwing out rumors that he may have wrist and/or thumb problems too.  Of course it could just be that there really isn't a clear cut, consensus diagnosis of what the issue actually is.       

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/markelle-fultz-trade-rumors-suns-interested-in-former-no-1-pick-76ers-need-him-to-be-truthful-about-shooting-issues/

If I'm the Sixers, I listen to offers but don't force a trade at this point.  If nothing else, his salary may be needed for salary matching. 

« Reply #1379 on: November 30, 2018, 07:10:00 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Phoenix

That is a hail mairy, not interest. Nobody is trading for him unless PHI makes it very sweet which in this case becomes the biggest asset of the trade.

Okafor at least at his second year played 22mpg getting 12p. Fultz today for whatever reason is not a basketball player