Author Topic: Summer 2018 verified moves  (Read 81413 times)

Re: Summer 2018 verified moves
« Reply #450 on: July 17, 2018, 02:23:54 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Memphis-Sacramento trade. Wonder how this will affect our future drafts.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1019245696170377219

We should be more concerned about what the Kings might do with the cap room they just opened up, especially w/r/t Smart (though they'll probably go after Capela first).

Didn’t they only open up an extra $1 million?

They already had plenty of room for smart. If this trade was made for cap purposes, it is probably to take on Carmelo in return for draft compensation.  I think they can make a Koufus for Carmelo + picks deal.

That million and a half, plus a WCS trade, plus a Labissierre stretch would open a max slot. That makes the most sense, as they have a glut of bigs and WCS is the most valuable and expendable, unless they can somehow bamboozle a team into taking Koufos or Randolph.

Why do all that if you’re Sacramento? Why waive and stretch Skal, adding money to future books? Why trade your “most valuable” Big just to open space?
That move makes zero sense, even for the Kings. Trade pkayers and release and stretch players to offer a player like Capella a contract that you know the Rockets will match. So you are getting rid of these guys for nothing. Nothing.

Well, yes and no. We may disagree on their values. I don't think Labissierre is an NBA player -- no harm no foul releasing him.

Davis could largely fill a similar role to WCS. They've had 3 years to look at him and he has been mediocre on a bad team. They seem heavily invested in Giles and Bagley.

They might be able to get a 1st round pick from a playoff team who wants a rental plus RFA bird rights on WCS.

They wouldn't be getting "nothing" -- they'd be getting more minutes for other young guys and a 1st round pick.

And then, even if there is a 5% chance that they could sign Capella, it makes sense to try it. Maybe the Rockets think WCS or Davis could fill a similar role for way less money. In that case, the Rockets might be willing to take back WCS in the sign-and-trade.

If the Kings suddenly had Capella, Bogdon, Fox, Hield, and Bagley as their core, they'd be pretty interesting.
Just don't and will never understand the concept of trading away players for nothing(sorry you aren't getting a first for WCS and 2nd rounders are garbage) to open up playing time for players that have shown nothing. Competition for playing time on a team is the best motivator to be your best.

We probably disagree here, but I'm sure its a disagreement that a lot of GMs share. There's a long list of talented players that were underdeveloped because of lack of minutes or even coaching resources.

« Reply #451 on: July 17, 2018, 02:31:58 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
All about the 2021 2nd in an exchange of expirings I guess...

Like Vaughn/Zeller and Booker/Okafor

« Reply #452 on: July 17, 2018, 02:43:08 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Have to imagine they are trying to collect assets. They may well be facilitating a Carmelo buyout. They'd only need to send out $8m in salary.
Sending Koufos would be enough. Just about the assets they can get back..

« Reply #453 on: July 17, 2018, 07:58:17 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Free agent forward Treveon Graham has agreed to a two-year deal with the Brooklyn Nets, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. Graham, a 6-foot-5 wing, will have a full guarantee on the first season of new deal.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1019365975886426112?s=21

Guard Lorenzo Brown is finalizing a one-year deal with the Raptors, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. Brown was on a two-way contract with Toronto last season and won G League MVP for Raptors 905.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1019360052497575936?s=21

Portland has waived center George Papagiannis, league source tells ESPN. He's planning to sign a deal in Greece.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1019431659475570688
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:03:53 AM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #454 on: July 17, 2018, 09:32:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
As a resident of Iowa and adopted Iowa State fan, I can say that Burton is and has always been an interesting prospect. His measurables and explosiveness are remarkably similar to Zion Williamson (this is not an exaggeration). He can shoot outside, attack closeouts, run the floor, and collect garbage points. He is a pretty good passer too. His defensive versatility was always pretty good as well.

Oftentimes, Iowa State would run a pick-and-roll high with Burton. When Burton received the ball, his four teammates were spread out in a box around the 3 point line. Burton's dribbling ability, strength, and quickness made him almost impossible to stop for an individual defender at the college level.

His Senior year he probably had his best game matched up with Josh Jackson on Kansas. He led them to a victory with 29 points, 8 rebounds, and 6 steals. In fact, most of his best games were against the best competition (Gonzaga, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.).

The questions about Burton were around his lingering back issue, and (possibly related to the back issue) his work ethic. If the back issue is figured out, he could very easily play the Justin Winslow role on a team as a playmaking forward who can defend multiple positions (3-5 regularly and guards on occasional switches).

This is a good signing by the Thunder. I could see him fitting really well at the 4 in spot minutes and possibly even developing into a role player.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/deonte-burton-2.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsN_5KO2juo

Absolutely. I was hoping that we would take him, last year, and was shocked that he went undrafted owing to the reasons that you presented. I remember watching all of those highlight clips and reading up on him, but I disagree with the comparison to Julius Randle, as Burton has a much better jumper and actually plays defense, among other things, lol ;D, plus, dude is built like a tank lma0 ;D.

What I don't remember, however, is seeing anything pertaining to back issues, although conditioning was cited as a concern, iirc, but, again, iirc, he seemed to have put everything together in terms of work ethic, etc., during his senior season, so yeah, I'm still a big fan. Love his motor, too, and would, well, love to see him match up against Draymond Green. It'd be like watching Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, inside, lol ;D.

« Reply #455 on: July 17, 2018, 09:51:13 PM »

• Paul Silas
As a resident of Iowa and adopted Iowa State fan, I can say that Burton is and has always been an interesting prospect. His measurables and explosiveness are remarkably similar to Zion Williamson (this is not an exaggeration). He can shoot outside, attack closeouts, run the floor, and collect garbage points. He is a pretty good passer too. His defensive versatility was always pretty good as well.

Oftentimes, Iowa State would run a pick-and-roll high with Burton. When Burton received the ball, his four teammates were spread out in a box around the 3 point line. Burton's dribbling ability, strength, and quickness made him almost impossible to stop for an individual defender at the college level.

His Senior year he probably had his best game matched up with Josh Jackson on Kansas. He led them to a victory with 29 points, 8 rebounds, and 6 steals. In fact, most of his best games were against the best competition (Gonzaga, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.).

The questions about Burton were around his lingering back issue, and (possibly related to the back issue) his work ethic. If the back issue is figured out, he could very easily play the Justin Winslow role on a team as a playmaking forward who can defend multiple positions (3-5 regularly and guards on occasional switches).

This is a good signing by the Thunder. I could see him fitting really well at the 4 in spot minutes and possibly even developing into a role player.

Absolutely. I was hoping that we would take him, last year, and was shocked that he went undrafted owing to the reasons that you presented. I remember watching all of those highlight clips and reading up on him, but I disagree with the comparison to Julius Randle, as Burton has a much better jumper and actually plays defense, among other things, lol ;D, plus, dude is built like a tank lma0 ;D.

What I don't remember, however, is seeing anything pertaining to back issues, although conditioning was cited as a concern, iirc, but, again, iirc, he seemed to have put everything together in terms of work ethic, etc., during his senior season, so yeah, I'm still a big fan. Love his motor, too, and would, well, love to see him match up against Draymond Green. It'd be like watching Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, inside, lol ;D.

You wouldn't have heard anything about it. It stayed in Cyclone circles. He consistently went to the bench with a heat pack on his back. My brother-in-law was a student and said there was definitely something going on with his back.

« Reply #456 on: July 17, 2018, 10:06:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You wouldn't have heard anything about it. It stayed in Cyclone circles. He consistently went to the bench with a heat pack on his back. My brother-in-law was a student and said there was definitely something going on with his back.

I thought I was the only ISU fan on here, glad to hear there are others!  I am an ISU alum so I am always rooting for our guys to make it.  Burton certainly has NBA useful skills, NBA body, great leaping ability, good shooter from 3, can get his own shot.  Like a lot of other players he just needs to land in the right spot where he can get some playing time. 

« Reply #457 on: July 17, 2018, 10:29:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Ahh, mystery solved. TP for the insider information, lol ;D. But who was Icy Hot? ;) ::) ;D

« Reply #458 on: July 17, 2018, 10:31:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I thought I was the only ISU fan on here, glad to hear there are others!  I am an ISU alum so I am always rooting for our guys to make it.  Burton certainly has NBA useful skills, NBA body, great leaping ability, good shooter from 3, can get his own shot.  Like a lot of other players he just needs to land in the right spot where he can get some playing time.

Question for the both of you - I really liked Niang coming out of college, but do you think that he can hold his own, defensively, in the NBA, because that was always the question with him. I think.

« Reply #459 on: July 17, 2018, 10:36:41 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Question for the both of you - I really liked Niang coming out of college, but do you think that he can hold his own, defensively, in the NBA, because that was always the question with him. I think.

I don't, but he's perfectly suited for a long and successful Euro career.  And I mean that as a compliment.  I was a huge fan of DeAndre Kane, though, despite being 30 y/o at draft time.

Deonte Burton looks like a freak of nature.  I feel like I"m watching Deontay Wilder out there.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #460 on: July 17, 2018, 10:36:51 PM »

• Paul Silas

No.

But there are plenty of offense-only players in the NBA that can get regular season minutes as rotation guys.

« Reply #461 on: July 17, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I don't, but he's perfectly suited for a long and successful Euro career.  And I mean that as a compliment.  I was a huge fan of DeAndre Kane, though, despite being 30 y/o at draft time.

Deonte Burton looks like a freak of nature.  I feel like I"m watching Deontay Wilder out there.

LOL, TP ;D.

« Reply #462 on: July 17, 2018, 10:51:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

No.

But there are plenty of offense-only players in the NBA that can get regular season minutes as rotation guys.

Okay. That was my assessment, as well.

To his his credit, he's an excellent passer, a good shooter, and post player, iirc, but it almost seems like he's quicker on offense when he's bringing the ball up the court as opposed to when he actually attempts to play defense if that makes any sense, lol ;D.

« Reply #463 on: July 18, 2018, 09:54:24 AM »

• Paul Silas

We should be more concerned about what the Kings might do with the cap room they just opened up, especially w/r/t Smart (though they'll probably go after Capela first).
they only opened up like a million dollars though right?

As I heard on a podcast yesterday, this deal opens up almost exactly the amount of space the kings would need to absorb Ryan Anderson's contract.

If the Kings stretched Labissierre (or Mason, or anyone else), they could completely receive Anderson into their cap space, which gives the Rockets a 20 million dollar trade exemption. The Rockets would need to send back at least one first round pick.

The Kings get a legit shooter to help stretch the floor and make the game easier for Fox, Hield, Giles, and Bagley. They also get a first round pick.

The Rockets get the space to offer Capella a max. They weren't afraid of the luxury tax, but this way they are paying the luxury tax for worth players. If the Rockets timed the signings correctly, they could still use a full MLE and Biannual exemption before they resign Capella, and then fill out their roster with minimum contracts.

If they were able to offer Melo more money, it might make the buy-out process smoother in OKC (or Brooklyn if he gets traded with a first for Crabbe).

1. Traded Ryan Anderson and Rockets 2019 First Round Pick for protected Kings 2nd
2. Waived Zhou Qi in 2018-19 with $ 0 remaining over 0 year(s)
3. Renounced $ 3,948,000 2018-19 cap hold for Tarik Black
4. Renounced $ 1,512,601 2018-19 cap hold for Joe Johnson
5. Renounced $ 1,512,601 2018-19 cap hold for Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
6. Renounced $ 838,464 2018-19 cap hold for Markel Brown
7. Renounced $ 838,464 2018-19 cap hold for R.J. Hunter
8. Signed Carmelo Anthony to 1yrs/$ 8,641,000 contract starting in 2018-19 using Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception
9. Signed Clint Capela to 4yrs/$ 114,093,280 contract starting in 2018-19 using Larry Bird Exception
10. Signed James Ennis to 2yrs/$ 3,025,202 contract starting in 2018-19 using 4-Year Vet. Minimum Exception
11. Signed Michael Carter-Williams to 1yrs/$ 1,512,601 contract starting in 2018-19 using 2-Year Vet. Minimum Exception

« Reply #464 on: July 18, 2018, 10:05:17 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

they only opened up like a million dollars though right?

As I heard on a podcast yesterday, this deal opens up almost exactly the amount of space the kings would need to absorb Ryan Anderson's contract.

If the Kings stretched Labissierre (or Mason, or anyone else), they could completely receive Anderson into their cap space, which gives the Rockets a 20 million dollar trade exemption. The Rockets would need to send back at least one first round pick.

The Kings get a legit shooter to help stretch the floor and make the game easier for Fox, Hield, Giles, and Bagley. They also get a first round pick.

The Rockets get the space to offer Capella a max. They weren't afraid of the luxury tax, but this way they are paying the luxury tax for worth players. If the Rockets timed the signings correctly, they could still use a full MLE and Biannual exemption before they resign Capella, and then fill out their roster with minimum contracts.

If they were able to offer Melo more money, it might make the buy-out process smoother in OKC (or Brooklyn if he gets traded with a first for Crabbe).

1. Traded Ryan Anderson and Rockets 2019 First Round Pick for protected Kings 2nd
2. Waived Zhou Qi in 2018-19 with $ 0 remaining over 0 year(s)
3. Renounced $ 3,948,000 2018-19 cap hold for Tarik Black
4. Renounced $ 1,512,601 2018-19 cap hold for Joe Johnson
5. Renounced $ 1,512,601 2018-19 cap hold for Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
6. Renounced $ 838,464 2018-19 cap hold for Markel Brown
7. Renounced $ 838,464 2018-19 cap hold for R.J. Hunter
8. Signed Carmelo Anthony to 1yrs/$ 8,641,000 contract starting in 2018-19 using Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception
9. Signed Clint Capela to 4yrs/$ 114,093,280 contract starting in 2018-19 using Larry Bird Exception
10. Signed James Ennis to 2yrs/$ 3,025,202 contract starting in 2018-19 using 4-Year Vet. Minimum Exception
11. Signed Michael Carter-Williams to 1yrs/$ 1,512,601 contract starting in 2018-19 using 2-Year Vet. Minimum Exception

Two years of Anderson’s contract is going to require more than a very late 1st. That’s a two-pick contract, which is why Houston doesn’t want to pay to move it.