Author Topic: Where would the Celts place in Rio?  (Read 5129 times)

Where would the Celts place in Rio?
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:29:25 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Based on: a) talent, b) cohesiveness, c) FIBA style of play, d) coaching... and any other variables you might consider (those are just starting points), where do you guys think the Celts would place in Rio? How do we compare to other teams? Could they medal? Compete with, say, Spain for Silver?

Edit: Yes, let's assume USA is not in consideration.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 09:01:30 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Where would the Celts place in Rio?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 08:40:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Top 2 or 3. Maybe 4th

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 08:43:04 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Good question. I actually think several of the NBA teams would fare better due to better fit and chemistry. For example, I think the Cavs, Warriors, and Spurs all would've ran through the Olympic teams, and I think we'd even have a solid chance at gold, assuming that we get to use our foreigners like Horford and KO. Of course, our physical D would probably not do too well in the soft Olympic game with how the refs have called everything.

Though the overall talent is immense, this Team USA just does not fit well together. It's one of the reasons why many are doubting the Warriors' fit this coming year.

EDIT: I was assuming that Team USA wasn't around in this scenario. Also, on second thought, San Antonio probably wouldn't with as many foreigners as they have.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 08:48:37 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Though the overall talent is immense, this Team USA just does not fit well together. It's one of the reasons why many are doubting the Warriors' fit this coming year.

EDIT: I was assuming that Team USA wasn't around in this scenario.

Lol I was gonna say potter. yea I agree mostly.
#JKJB

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 09:17:50 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Good question. I actually think several of the NBA teams would fare better due to better fit and chemistry. For example, I think the Cavs, Warriors, and Spurs all would've ran through the Olympic teams, and I think we'd even have a solid chance at gold, assuming that we get to use our foreigners like Horford and KO. Of course, our physical D would probably not do too well in the soft Olympic game with how the refs have called everything.

Yeah, I'd imagine the biggest advantage many of these teams have with one another, relative to the US, is the amount of time they've played together. They're cohesive, well-adjusted to FIBA, and motivated to win.

Good point re: officiating and defense. That may well work against us. On the other hand, we are also a very cohesive, motivated, and well-coached team -- all factors that I think would translate very well. KO and Horford are well-suited for FIBA play, too.

My last question re: Spain was pretty pointed because I do believe we could compete with them. I'd love to see what Stevens' adjustments from game to game. 

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 09:22:55 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Mostly any NBA team would probably place first in rio, aside from maybe brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 09:41:37 PM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78
Mostly any NBA team would probably place first in rio, aside from maybe brooklyn

Even Philly or the Lakers?  Seriously?

Personally, I think the C's would be hard pressed to even win the bronze.  Foreign teams, augmented by NBA talent eligible to play for that country, playing together for years with deep benches would have a far better chance to beat most NBA teams except the very elite (e.g. Golden State).

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 09:56:40 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Personally, I think the C's would be hard pressed to even win the bronze.  Foreign teams, augmented by NBA talent eligible to play for that country, playing together for years with deep benches would have a far better chance to beat most NBA teams except the very elite (e.g. Golden State).

These seem like extreme viewpoints. Relative to talent, who would give us fits outside of Spain (very tough), Australia, Lithuania and France?

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 10:40:46 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

These seem like extreme viewpoints. Relative to talent, who would give us fits outside of Spain (very tough), Australia, Lithuania and France?

How about usa's gold medal opponent Serbia, with their talented bigs, outside shooting, and great passing?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 11:23:16 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

How about usa's gold medal opponent Serbia, with their talented bigs, outside shooting, and great passing?

Possibly. We were 13th in the league in opponent 3pt% last year -- not great, but decent. Our guards would wreak havok in the backcourt, though, and Horford + a healthy Amir would probably match up well with their bigs. And how strong are they defensively? We may not have superior athleticism in the NBA, but should have a considerable advantage against Serbia. Hard defense and then get out and run, fast paced -- IT would give them fits!

No idea what happened in that game vs. Australia, but I do think the US made them look a lot better than they are due to poor effort, disengagement, and zero interest in defense.  I fully expect the US to give them an absolute shellacking in the Gold medal game.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 10:49:27 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Assuming the Celtics keep non-USA players on their roster? Celtics win gold.

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
4th because they always have injuries.

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 11:07:27 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I would expect them to finish gold or silver. The biggest key I see is that the Cs big man are a great fit internationally. The one big question mark would be ITs ability to penetrate vs the more physical perimeter play. As much as this would hurt ITs game it would really help Smarts and potentially Brown. Ultimately I would expect them to lose to Spain but beat the other teams. Just so every one understands this isn't a knock on the international teams I just think the Cs are a team and coaching staff that would perform well in that environment. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 03:04:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'm guessing the Warriors are planning on continuing to run an actual offensive system, as opposed to the toilet bowl offense Team USA was running all tournament.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 04:19:58 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Gold.

This year's USA team was kind-of a joke. There were some good players, but not the best ones (Lebron, Curry, Leonard, AD, etc.)

We have a great system and coach with at least comparable talent to other countries. I understand that not every top player in the world comes to the NBA, but a lot of them do, and each country that wasn't overly impressive in their individual talent.

What international teams do well, we do better, and we also have a top flight defense. Our cohesion would be considerably better than this year's Team USA.