Author Topic: Dylan Windler  (Read 3630 times)

Dylan Windler
« on: March 09, 2019, 07:49:54 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I'm not usually one to make posts focused on one player but after watching him last nigh and doing a little research I have come away very impressed with Dylan Windler the 6'8 Forward from Belmont.

He checks off all the major boxes for me as an NBA prospect and is a player who I think makes it in the league.

He has positional size and length at 6'8 with a reported near 7' wingspan

Has two elite skills.One being shooting where he is averaging 43% from 3 on 6.6 attempts and .84% from the FT line. The other being his 10.7 rb per game.

I also liked the fact that he is a very active defender and appears to have the physical tools to play NBA level perimeter defense. His 1.4 Stl per game are also a nice indication of his anticipation and activity level.

Looking at other mid major wings to make it in the NBA I was surprised to see how Windlers per 36 stats compare to Doug Mcdermott in his senior year.

DM averages 28.5 pts  on 19 FGA with a 36% usage rate, .449% from 3 on 6.5 attempts, 7.4rb 1.7 ast, .2 blks and .2 stl
DW averages 23.7 pts on 15 FGA with a 26% usage rate, .440% from 3 on 7.6 attempts, 11rb, 2.8ast, .7 blks and 1.4stl

This is especially note worthy given the fact that Windler is projected as a 2nd round pick and Mcdermott went in the lottery.

I will be really interested to see if Belmont can make any noise in the tourney this year. My one red flag on Windler are his  shooting struggles this season vs UCLA and Purdue. However he did rebound at a high level in both games coming down with 15 vs UCLA and 11 vs Purdue. Last season he had 24pt 11rb vs Vanderbilt, 18pt 11rb vs washington and 17pt 4rb games vs a then ranked TCU. Also worth noting that despite his shooting struggles he did not look out of place vs the length and athleticism of UCLA.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 08:07:53 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Dylan Windler
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 02:31:42 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Nice article on a player who I think will be a steal in this draft

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/04/01/dylan-windler-draft-feature
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 02:36:19 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
interesting

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 02:38:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
There is a lot of talent in this draft. It's going to be exciting to see how it shakes out. Windler is a very long player with a beautiful stroke.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 02:50:17 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
It looks like he's worth a look, unfortunately isn't our 2nd rounder going to be right around #50?  Seems like he'd be off the board by then. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 02:59:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It looks like he's worth a look, unfortunately isn't our 2nd rounder going to be right around #50?  Seems like he'd be off the board by then.
You can buy a 2nd rounder easily enough to get someone you want in the 2nd. I saw Windler once this year, against Maryland, and he was fantastic, though, to be honest, there isn't a lot of talent on that Maryland team.

But if Danny can somehow get into top of second and nab him, I am all for that. Nothing wrong with having a possible dead eye wing shooter off the bench who can rebound on an elite level.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 03:13:08 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
He would have to be a lot better than DM to have interest.  And it seems like that's a possibility given his much better rate of steals and rebounds, meaning he's more athletic than DM.  So he might be a good role player to have. 

Wonder who else in the NBA we could compare him to?  Is he a dunker too?  Could he be a late bloomer with Ariza like potential?  That's a high bar, but would be a coup. 

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 04:34:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
If his shooting translates and he gets even a bit better would a Kyle Korver type role be what Windler could grow into? I only saw him that one game but from what I saw, he could do it. Anyone who has seen him a lot more, what do you say?

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 10:24:07 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
He would have to be a lot better than DM to have interest.  And it seems like that's a possibility given his much better rate of steals and rebounds, meaning he's more athletic than DM.  So he might be a good role player to have. 

Wonder who else in the NBA we could compare him to?  Is he a dunker too?  Could he be a late bloomer with Ariza like potential?  That's a high bar, but would be a coup.

I used the Doug McDermott comp to to highlight his production in a similar role vs a similar level of competition. McDermott has been a disappointment given that he was drafted in the lottery but is a career has been solid. 5 seasons 20mpg 7.8ppg as a 46-40-83 shooter.

As you allude to Windler is statistically superior to Doug in every non scoring category in college. I think Windler is also an overall better athlete and will be much better equipped to defend the perimeter in the NBA. I do not think he has the athletic profile to ever be an Ariza type wing defender but he might surprise people and become a Danny Green level wing player.

My bottom line for Windler is that at the end of the 1st /early 2nd its a steal to be be able to draft a 6'7-6'8 wing with a near 7' wingspan who projects as an elite shooter with average athleticism.       
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 10:36:18 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
You can buy a 2nd rounder easily enough to get someone you want in the 2nd. I saw Windler once this year, against Maryland, and he was fantastic, though, to be honest, there isn't a lot of talent on that Maryland team.

But if Danny can somehow get into top of second and nab him, I am all for that. Nothing wrong with having a possible dead eye wing shooter off the bench who can rebound on an elite level.

I used to think that, but then I wondered why Danny didn't do it last year when Jalen Brunson & Mitchell Robinson were obvious choices in the 2nd round, and surprise surprise, our 2 big needs this year are a backup PG and a backup big who can protect the rim and rebound.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I used to think that, but then I wondered why Danny didn't do it last year when Jalen Brunson & Mitchell Robinson were obvious choices in the 2nd round, and surprise surprise, our 2 big needs this year are a backup PG and a backup big who can protect the rim and rebound.
Danny already drafted Williams. There was no need for Robinson with Horford, Theis, Baynes, Morris, Yabusele and Williams already on the roster.

As for Brunson, Danny decided to go for Wanamaker than a questionable 2nd rounder. My guess is if Wanamaker was given 21 minutes a game on a horrible team, he could put up numbers like Brunson. I have no problem with going with Wanamaker. Brunson would have spent the entire season in Maine if he was on this roster.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 03:08:26 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Danny already drafted Williams. There was no need for Robinson with Horford, Theis, Baynes, Morris, Yabusele and Williams already on the roster.

As for Brunson, Danny decided to go for Wanamaker than a questionable 2nd rounder. My guess is if Wanamaker was given 21 minutes a game on a horrible team, he could put up numbers like Brunson. I have no problem with going with Wanamaker. Brunson would have spent the entire season in Maine if he was on this roster.

Only about 2 of those bigs you mentioned can actually get minutes in the playoffs without crashing and burning.  Taking a flier on Robinson would have been smart if for no other reason than the cash spent on the pick is worth nothing, and he could clearly be flipped for an asset. 

Brunson could have potentially been on a cost controlled 3-4 year, $2m deal like Semi instead of a 1 year, near $2m deal like Wanamaker. 

But that's not really my point.  My point is, the assumption that anyone can just buy a 2nd rounder may be faulty at this point.  We had many 2nd round rotation rookies in '18 and we should have bought a pick if we could have.  In fact, very few if any high 2nds were sold.  That should tell you something.

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 03:24:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

I used the Doug McDermott comp to to highlight his production in a similar role vs a similar level of competition. McDermott has been a disappointment given that he was drafted in the lottery but is a career has been solid. 5 seasons 20mpg 7.8ppg as a 46-40-83 shooter.

As you allude to Windler is statistically superior to Doug in every non scoring category in college. I think Windler is also an overall better athlete and will be much better equipped to defend the perimeter in the NBA. I do not think he has the athletic profile to ever be an Ariza type wing defender but he might surprise people and become a Danny Green level wing player.

My bottom line for Windler is that at the end of the 1st /early 2nd its a steal to be be able to draft a 6'7-6'8 wing with a near 7' wingspan who projects as an elite shooter with average athleticism.     
if a team can pick up a rotation player with a second round, or late first round pick, they have drafted well.

i only watched a few clips on windler, but he seems the sort of player CBS can work with and bring out his best. he is a shooter, versatile, athletic, and smart.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 03:44:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Only about 2 of those bigs you mentioned can actually get minutes in the playoffs without crashing and burning.  Taking a flier on Robinson would have been smart if for no other reason than the cash spent on the pick is worth nothing, and he could clearly be flipped for an asset. 

Brunson could have potentially been on a cost controlled 3-4 year, $2m deal like Semi instead of a 1 year, near $2m deal like Wanamaker. 

But that's not really my point.  My point is, the assumption that anyone can just buy a 2nd rounder may be faulty at this point.  We had many 2nd round rotation rookies in '18 and we should have bought a pick if we could have.  In fact, very few if any high 2nds were sold.  That should tell you something.
Just because Ainge didn't buy a second rounder to draft binkies of your's doesn't mean that teams don't sell off second rounders and that Danny wouldn't do it for a player HE LIKES.

And it did happen last year. The 4th and 7th picks in the 2nd round were traded for other second rounders and cash on draft night. In 2017, on draft night, the 1st and 5th pick in the 2nd round were moved for other second rounders and cash. Swapping 2nds and cash is basically buying a pick.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 04:20:59 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

Just because Ainge didn't buy a second rounder to draft binkies of your's doesn't mean that teams don't sell off second rounders and that Danny wouldn't do it for a player HE LIKES.

And it did happen last year. The 4th and 7th picks in the 2nd round were traded for other second rounders and cash on draft night. In 2017, on draft night, the 1st and 5th pick in the 2nd round were moved for other second rounders and cash. Swapping 2nds and cash is basically buying a pick.

Moving a 2nd for another 2nd and cash is not even remotely the same thing as just "buy(ing) a 2nd rounder."

One is a purchase, the other is a trade.  Your examples are neither here nor there.