Author Topic: Euroleague 2016-17  (Read 18475 times)

Re: Euroleague 2016-17
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 04:25:49 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Real plays tomorrow vs Brose Bamberg at 21.00 gr time

Darussafaka plays too at 20.30 gr time. I'll try to post a reminder a couple of hours before the games.

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 04:45:39 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Το προβλημα στην ελλαδα οτι οι απο κατω ειναι σε πολυ χαμηλο επιπεδο

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
@konkmv

It is true that in Greece Oly and PAO are very dominant and this is bad for our national championships. This is a very long conversation, I'll just write down quickly some thoughts.

1. The situation in Spain and Israel (let alone Russia...) is not that different.

2. We all know what happened to Salonica teams in the early 90s. I actually lived there until 1987 and was visiting frequently in the 90s. The day Michailidis announced that the club was in financial trouble and the great players had to go you could literally see ppl weep in front of TV screens. That did a great damage to our league. To this day, Aris might be the only team whose fans prefer bball over soccer - their team deserves better.

3. It's far too easy for Oly-PAO to take young talents from smaller clubs. Going back to Papagiannis, I would have liked him to play in Peristeri a bit more. There are countless similar examples of young players taken from one of the two big teams not so much to be given meaningful mins but to make sure their rival won't take them.

Luckily, Moraitis (που είναι φτυστός ο Διαμαντίδης που τόσο αγαπάς) ended up in AEK and Jure Jdovc. But this was the exception to the rule.

4. Corruption, corruption, corruption. Refs are a huge prob. I want small teams to get fair officiating. It's one thing to compete against a team that pays for a single player more than you pay for your whole roster (and has the support of an army of organized fans - several hundreds of whom are literally thugs) ; it is another to have, on top of that, to deal with refs who decide every disputed call  in favour of Oly and PAO. You'll never get a competitive league this way.

One solution would be to make the Euroleague a closed championship. Teams that can afford a certain budget will compete there and the rest will play in their respective national championships. This would have the added advantage of allowing PAO and Oly to develop a d-team to play in the local championship. It would have obvious benefits for Barcelona, Real, Maccabi, CSKA, Zalgiris etc too.
But IMO this is a very ambitious project and -despite being discussed for many years- it will not materialize, at least not in the foreseeable future.

So, we'll have to continue dealing with a league with only two championship contenders. That's why I hardly watch the Greek League.

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 11:00:43 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Below is Euroleague's schedule for 25 Jan. This is in Gr time, so it is Boston time +7. Therefore, Daru plays at 13.30 ET, Real at 14.00 ET and Armani Milan at 14.45 ET. Which means most ppl will be at work...

As I already mentioned in the Zizic thread, you can find streams here.

As a rule of thumb, Euroleague's streams are much better quality than the NBA ones. There's little difference from watching TV.

Regarding NBA prospects playing in these games:

Zizic obviously, Aleksej Nikolic (Bamberg, PG, 21 yo), Leon Kratzer (Bamberg, Center, 19 yo), Doncic (Real, SG, 17 yo), Simone Fontecchio (Armani Milan, 21 yo, SF), Vassilis Toliopoulos (Oly, PG, 20 yo), Ioannis Papapetrou (Oly, SF, 22 yo), Dimitris Agravanis (Oly, PF, 22 yo).

Zizic and Doncic apart, the two other good prospects are probably the two Bamberg players.

For the rest, the chances are that they will stay in Europe.

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 11:39:29 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
G666, I have been reading absolute rave reviews about doncic. Supposedly he will be one the best players in the world soon. An NBA super star wrote one person.

You have seen him play, I am sure. How do you read his talent and ability developing?

Oh, and how is ntilikina as well?

Thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 12:00:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
G666, I have been reading absolute rave reviews about doncic. Supposedly he will be one the best players in the world soon. An NBA super star wrote one person.

You have seen him play, I am sure. How do you read his talent and ability developing?

Oh, and how is ntilikina as well?

Thanks.

Doncic is amazing.  He isn't even 18, and is already posting near triple-doubles against top European competition.  His only flaw is that he's another guard, albeit a 6'8" 17 year-old who's probably a PG on offense.  He's shooting 42% from 3, and is a terrific passer.  A Fultz-Doncic backcourt could be ridiculous.  I don't care if we never get a big.  I just want those two guys. And after tonight's guard play, I'm even more ready for them.

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 03:39:33 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
He will be 18 in a month and he already plays 20mins per game for Real Madrid.

If a kid can play will get mins (be*cough*dner*cough cough*)

The only question in my mind is what is better ... play a couple of years more in Spain or move to NBA in june ?

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 04:07:38 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He will be 18 in a month and he already plays 20mins per game for Real Madrid.

If a kid can play will get mins (be*cough*dner*cough cough*)

The only question in my mind is what is better ... play a couple of years more in Spain or move to NBA in june ?

He's not NBA eligible for another year.  So one more year in Spain.

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
@hwangjini_1 Doncic is indeed an excellent prospect.

Answering Ederson's question, I'd like him to come to the NBA as soon as he can declare for the draft because the transition can be tricky esp. for guards. That is the 2018 draft.

Ntilikina's team does not compete in the Euroleague, so I haven't watched him play.

Btw, our old aquaintance Vezenkov was p good yesterday. If he came to the C's today I think he would be our best 3point shooter after Thomas from day 1. But I'm afraid that when it comes to the NBA and Vezenkov  that ship has sailed. He is 21 and has developed his skills in a way that fits much better the European style of play.

Anyway, it has rained today in Athens, so no pickup bball for me. I have nothing better to do than stay home and watch the games. I'll write my thoughts in a few hours.

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 01:27:26 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
omg Tsmoki of my beloved Minsk plays Nanterre for the Eurocup (not Euroleague)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArswgmzgqtY

В перёд, Минцаны, за родину!

(utterly irrelevant game otherwise)

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
On a more serious note, here is the Darussafaka game (Turkish commentators)

http://cdn.livetvcdn.net/webplayer.php?t=ifr&c=577243&lang=en&eid=488017&lid=577243&ci=41&si=3

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 01:33:05 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Zizic is among the starting 5.

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Good offensive game by Zizic so far: both posting up and playing the PnR

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 06:47:34 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
For future reference, here you have streams of all Euroleague games

http://livetv141.net/enx/allupcomingsports/3/

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 08:28:41 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Many thanks g666 and a tp as ever.

I hope the weather clears up soon, and be careful of those knees. ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva