Author Topic: Celtics summer league squad  (Read 11515 times)

Re: Celtics summer league squad
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2018, 09:29:39 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Allen
Bird
Ojeleye
Yabusele
Williams

Should be a tough team to beat this summer. Not many teams can roll out five starters on NBA/two-way contracts. Defense should be fierce.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2018, 09:47:26 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
An extraordinary collection to be found here. A URI guy (Martin) and my question having watched more SL than should be permitted for an adult....there are guys on that list who ultimately, won't get any minutes in the games.

I guess they take the assignment to remain relevant before earning a good living  playing in another country. But seriously, it must be tough to be an end of the bench guy hoping to get minutes from NBA bench guys.

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2018, 10:12:26 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
Summer league roster officially announced today.  Pretty much who we expected.  The best is news is that Jabari Bird is on it, implying that a deal with him should be worked out quite quickly.

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/offseason-062918-player-by-player-breakdown-of-summer-league-roster

So it's finally happened. Wow. This is so awesome, and TP for the link :). All that I need now is a picture of Uthoff in green and I can change my signature, lol ;D.

I do think it’s between him and Jarell Eddie for our 2nd 2-way spot next season, although I give Eddie the advantage.

Lol, really? I don't even expect to see the Celtics offer Uthoff any kind of contract whatsoever, lol ;D.

That said, here's what I'd like to see during the summer league - assuming, of course, that Uthoff even makes it on the court (ugh) - for Williams to switch off onto any frontcourt player, especially small forwards, after a pick and roll, etc., and for Uthoff to do the same in terms of point guards and shooting guards.

I'm not a proponent of "switching everything" ::), as you know, but in certain matchups, I believe that switching can actually work to our advantage, so we'll see, I guess, but I'm not exactly getting my hopes up, lol ;D. Sigh.

I expect they’ll use their 2-way, because why not, and they’ll want it for someone who has pro experience to be available in an emergency injury situation.  As I say, Eddie is the favorite, but Uthoff has been around enough where he could play himself into an opportunity.  One thing you’re allowed to do is make camp invite contracts convertible to 2-way contracts, so the Celtics could give 2-3 players the opportunity to earn the 2-way deal in the fall.

Why would you say that Eddie is the favorite?

Because he got a little time with the team during the regular season, and is a significantly better 3-point shooter.  At 44% for his career in the G-League, he has an NBA skill that translates immediately.

While Eddie's G League three point percentage is better, I agree, his percentages at the NBA level are Marcus Smart-level atrocious, lol ;D, plus, he doesn't really do anything other than shoot threes, not to mention the fact that his defense is awful, iirc, lol ;D.

Idk, man, I just think that Uthoff brings so much more to the table that it's not even funny, but at the same time, I just don't see him being properly utilized, if he even gets a chance to play, at all :'(.

Tell you what, how about this - I get my own NBA franchise comprised of nothing but undrafted prospects, with the team getting dibs on the first two, well, undrafted free agent following the conclusion of the, well, draft, as opposed to having your standard first and second round selections.

The team stays together for the duration of your standard rookie contract, albeit not in terms of money, of, what, four years, at the end of which the franchise goes the way of the Dodo and everyone, having received plenty of playing time against NBA players over the proceeding seasons, goes their separate ways, and hopefully with good salaries from NBA teams :).

What do you think?

TP to anyone who can understand this new Twitter age valley girl rambling.... sheesh, plz translate

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2018, 11:28:58 PM »

Online Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Allen shortest at 6’3”.

Look forward to watching them. Yabu, Semi and Williams starting inside should be fun. Jabari and Allen in backcourt.

I think that almost everybody is over 6'5". When the Celtics get out on the break it's going to be like a water buffalo stampede.

I'm not sure as to whether or not this is some kind of pun owing to Williams' previous experience with Buffalo Wild Wings ;) ::) ;D, lol, but either way - TP. Well done, sir ;D.

No I had forgotten about Williams' draft night at BWW.

I was just thinking that it will be fun watching Williams, Yabusele, and Semi playing together. They are all very large with relatively quick feet. I'm also anxious to watch them rebound together.

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2018, 11:44:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
TP to anyone who can understand this new Twitter age valley girl rambling.... sheesh, plz translate

LOL, WAT? ;D

Allen shortest at 6’3”.

Look forward to watching them. Yabu, Semi and Williams starting inside should be fun. Jabari and Allen in backcourt.

I think that almost everybody is over 6'5". When the Celtics get out on the break it's going to be like a water buffalo stampede.

I'm not sure as to whether or not this is some kind of pun owing to Williams' previous experience with Buffalo Wild Wings ;) ::) ;D, lol, but either way - TP. Well done, sir ;D.

No I had forgotten about Williams' draft night at BWW.

I was just thinking that it will be fun watching Williams, Yabusele, and Semi playing together. They are all very large with relatively quick feet. I'm also anxious to watch them rebound together.

Haha, it's fine. I just thought that it made for a bit of an interesting aside, hehe ;D.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 09:24:38 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2018, 05:36:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
approaching!  ;D

« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2018, 05:42:17 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
williams missed his flight?!?!?!

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2018, 05:43:44 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
williams missed his flight?!?!?!

Yep. This guy better get his stuff together or he will be in Maine for the season. Coming across as a disorganized fool.

« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2018, 05:47:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Williams may have missed his flight, but at least Tatum was there putting in work.  That's a good sign of leadership.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2018, 05:49:33 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Tatum is the man

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2018, 09:45:58 AM »

Online Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2018, 10:02:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/1013811022132637696

Adam Drexler

Saw this, and I wondered who he might potentially replace on the SL roster.  Bird?