Author Topic: Due to $ loss, teams may sell 1st rounders for cash  (Read 2182 times)

Due to $ loss, teams may sell 1st rounders for cash
« on: October 30, 2020, 12:23:50 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
NBA teams have largely moved away selling first round picks over the past decade as the league's financials have improved across the board since the 2011 CBA that made the revenue split for favorable for owners and also the spike in revenues from far larger national television contracts.

The Denver Nuggets were the last team to sell a first round pick when in 2013 they sold the pick that would become Rudy Gobert to the Utah Jazz.

With the league's revenues down due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, selling draft picks could be an easy way for financially tenuous teams to generate instant revenue and is something teams are monitoring heading into the November 18th draft.

"People are interested to see how the draft unfolds this year in a pandemic where a lot of teams are losing money," said Zach Lowe on his podcast. "Like, will some teams sell draft picks? I don't think we'll see a first round pick sold. The fallout from that is so negative with your fanbase. But I do think we'll see teams at the bottom of the first round try to trade for future first rounders to get out of the obligation now, but not sell, sell. Second rounders thought they'll sell."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-lowe-post/id986595124

Re: Due to $ loss, teams may sell 1st rounders for cash
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 04:02:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
If I were the Celtics I'd definitely be looking to nab first round draft picks or move up in the first round by packaging cash with late picks.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 07:39:50 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I could see us jumping into the top 8 with a 14, 26 or 30, and cash package.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 07:49:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm not sure I understand the logic (please excuse me as I did not listen to the podcast). Wouldn't teams be jumping at the opportunity to lock down a cheap, long-term cost-controlled asset at such an uncertain time? I could see teams in the top 10 not thinking the higher salary was 'worth' it, but I would think those picks in the 20s - in such a flat draft - would actually be pretty desirable.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I like this draft more and more.

Would be very happy if team bought more picks honestly, so many guys I like.

Haliburton
Okongwu
Okoro
Hampton
Hayes
Riller
Bane
Joe
Lewis Jr
Tyler Bey
Flynn
McDaniels
Oturu
Reen
Ramsey
MArtin Jr
Scrubb

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 08:01:32 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I'm not sure I understand the logic (please excuse me as I did not listen to the podcast). Wouldn't teams be jumping at the opportunity to lock down a cheap, long-term cost-controlled asset at such an uncertain time? I could see teams in the top 10 not thinking the higher salary was 'worth' it, but I would think those picks in the 20s - in such a flat draft - would actually be pretty desirable.

I was thinking the same thing.. I can't imagine that 3 4 mil make such a huge difference to organisations like nba teams. Avoiding lux tax make sense but cutting loses not so much.

But I hope the report is correct.. It suits us

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 08:46:13 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Remember this post while you fret about Gordon Hayward checking out the market.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 10:37:31 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
buy them picks Danny 1-10

Danny is a blue light shopper for sure ,  if you got cash , i doubt the C's owners are going hungry ,   BUY EM !

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 11:07:54 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I was thinking the same thing.. I can't imagine that 3 4 mil make such a huge difference to organisations like nba teams. Avoiding lux tax make sense but cutting loses not so much.

But I hope the report is correct.. It suits us
If you are short on roster spots though, you can sign 2 way type minimum guys for a year and spend like half.  You also don't have to cut people to make room for the guaranteed contracts, plus you get cash to help offset some things.  There are plenty of reasons to sell a 1st round pick. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 11:10:02 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think what'd be more likely is Danny trading off our picks for future ones rather than gathering more picks.  we have a glut of spoken-for roster spots already that is making it difficult to find places for the 3 guaranteed roster spots for our first rounders and 1 for the second rounder that could make the team rather than just waste the pick by making it in the draft but that player having nowhere to go on a filled roster

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Danny bought a pick from Phoenix to draft Rondo. Turned out OK. That said, I don't think DA goes in this direction, already having 3 1st rounders at his disposal, unless he buys a draft and stash player.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 01:23:31 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Doesn't this make it easier to trade up?

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale    Rookie scale from last year.   Look at the first year price difference in the top 8 vs. 14 and below.   

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 02:12:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Doesn't this make it easier to trade up?

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale    Rookie scale from last year.   Look at the first year price difference in the top 8 vs. 14 and below.
It does look easier to move up. This draft is pretty flat picks 10-40. A team could have 3 contributing players for the price of one and there are no sure things this draft. I'd really have to like a player to bother moving up this year as the C's are also going to be in the tax.

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 02:20:40 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
NBA teams have largely moved away selling first round picks over the past decade as the league's financials have improved across the board since the 2011 CBA that made the revenue split for favorable for owners and also the spike in revenues from far larger national television contracts.

The Denver Nuggets were the last team to sell a first round pick when in 2013 they sold the pick that would become Rudy Gobert to the Utah Jazz.

With the league's revenues down due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, selling draft picks could be an easy way for financially tenuous teams to generate instant revenue and is something teams are monitoring heading into the November 18th draft.

"People are interested to see how the draft unfolds this year in a pandemic where a lot of teams are losing money," said Zach Lowe on his podcast. "Like, will some teams sell draft picks? I don't think we'll see a first round pick sold. The fallout from that is so negative with your fanbase. But I do think we'll see teams at the bottom of the first round try to trade for future first rounders to get out of the obligation now, but not sell, sell. Second rounders thought they'll sell."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-lowe-post/id986595124
Fantastic!!!! the key to success today in the nba is having cheap supporting players for the stars. this solves everything!!!

first, the celtics buy every draft pick from #10 to # 30.

second, they have all international players stash overseas, and 2/3 of the US players go over seas, delaying their entry to the nba.

third, the celtics select 4-5 players each year to come to the celtics and fill out the bench.

fourth, ainge decides which ones are good he keeps a few and trades the others.

fifth, the celtics keep their stars, surround them with cheap, young bench players, and get more draft picks by trades.

finally, the celtics win 7 straight nba championships!!!!!

boy, am i brilliant or what??!!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva