Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 367027 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #2070 on: December 01, 2019, 10:30:52 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
76ers again down double digits to Knicks. I bet on them to win game, but where are these bizarre takes that they don’t have struggles coming from?
You mean in a game they were down 2 starters and won over 3 quarters (they were down 14, 8 minutes into the game).

What is this new winning quarters thing you are doing? Is it replacing the real plus minus?

They won the second quarter by one point when Kork hit a layup at buzzer. Did that shot change the quarter from New York outplaying philly to philly outplaying the Knicks? A less bizarre way to talk about it would be that the Knicks outplayed them in the first half and philly outplayed them in the second. (Perhaps some of this is the Knicks being happy to lose)
Philly was the better team for over 3 quarters in the game.  They got off to a slow start and were down 14 points, 8 minutes into the game.  They were missing 2 starters.  Some times that happens.  I, however, wasn't the one that came in here writing about their demise and claiming they were struggling.  They struggled for 8 minutes.  That is it. 

Beat the Pacers tonight still without Richardson (though Horford was back).  Now at 14-6 on the season.  If they really are struggling and are 14-6, the entire league is in trouble.

I saw the last 5 minutes of that Pacers-Sixers game.

The Pacers lost because of turnovers.

Here:
13.9      T.J. Warren bad pass (Ben Simmons steals)   114 - 113
7.9      Jeremy Lamb bad pass (Ben Simmons steals)   114 - 115

Sixers were leading by 1 then Warren made that bad pass that resulted in a Toby dunk.

After a timeout, Lamb couldn't inbound the ball and he threw it away.

I think saying the Sixers are struggling is subjective.
But before the season started, when they got Hoford, according to some analysts the Sixers will be the #1 team in the east and will most likely face the Lakers in the finals.
So if the Sixers aren't even top 3 in the east, you could say that they're struggling.

Yeah, I have watched a pretty decent amount of their games and they have definitely had some lucky end of game bounces and games they have eked out that they struggled in. Now obviously the important thing is that they have won the games, but we can obviously discuss how they looked in those games (otherwise there would be no point for this forum). Heading into the season the biggest question for them was their spacing and whether Ben Simmons would take a leap. So far neither of these two things has worked out and the general consensus on their boards is that they will struggle in the playoffs because of it (not to mention most don’t think Brett brown is a very good playoff coach)

« Reply #2071 on: December 01, 2019, 11:38:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think given their records, point differentials, strength of schedule, type of schedule, if the Sixers are struggling, then so are the Celtics. I wouldn't label either team as struggling, though. They are both on pace to have 56+ wins.

Both teams have issues, whether it is lack of size, injuries, shooting, needing to load manage players, getting off to slow starts, whatever. But, I think it's something both teams will address and get better as the season progresses.

Both teams, IMO, are 55+ win teams this year.

« Reply #2072 on: December 01, 2019, 11:50:41 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I think given their records, point differentials, strength of schedule, type of schedule, if the Sixers are struggling, then so are the Celtics. I wouldn't label either team as struggling, though. They are both on pace to have 56+ wins.

Both teams have issues, whether it is lack of size, injuries, shooting, needing to load manage players, getting off to slow starts, whatever. But, I think it's something both teams will address and get better as the season progresses.

Both teams, IMO, are 55+ win teams this year.

I would say we have been a struggling a little bit since Hayward went down. We should have won either the sac game or the nets. And I agree this is all relative. If we talking about a team winning the championship the bar for “struggling” is very high. If the 76ers won 56 games and lost in the second round they would probably fire brown from what I understand

« Reply #2073 on: December 02, 2019, 09:34:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Continued their home winning ways with a large victory over the Jazz.  Jumped on them early and never looked back.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2074 on: December 02, 2019, 09:41:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Continued their home winning ways with a large victory over the Jazz.  Jumped on them early and never looked back.

Should we plan on your bumping this thread every time they win this season? Even when they are heavy favorites at home? That’s honestly pretty insufferable for a celtics forum
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:59:34 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #2075 on: December 03, 2019, 06:23:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Should we plan on your bumping this thread every time they win this season? Even when they are heavy favorites at home? That’s honestly pretty insufferable for a celtics forum
The theme in this thread of late has been they are struggling.  They destroyed a very good team at home.  So it has relevance to the running theme of are they struggling.  I present the Jazz game as evidence that they are not.

« Reply #2076 on: December 03, 2019, 07:39:53 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

The theme in this thread of late has been they are struggling.  They destroyed a very good team at home.  So it has relevance to the running theme of are they struggling.  I present the Jazz game as evidence that they are not.
Its a rather dumb theme considering they are 15-6 and all but one of their losses were close.  Two of their losses were without Embiid.  The Sixers are a top defensive team with some offensive challenges.  They aren't built to blow teams out. 

« Reply #2077 on: December 03, 2019, 08:19:15 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Makes more sense than bumping the Grizzlies thread after a Sixers win.  I endorse your bumping of a Sixers win in a Sixers thread.  Hope you can sleep at night now knowing this.
Yup

« Reply #2078 on: December 03, 2019, 09:11:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

That theme was over after the first couple of weeks. Nice try.

« Reply #2079 on: December 03, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Not in this thread.  just read the last couple of pages. 

Also, pretty funny to have clay make a comment about bumping the thread when he has done it several times in the last few weeks when he deemed Philly to be struggling.  Apparently, you can only bump this thread when Philly is struggling, not when they play well wire to wire against a good team.

« Reply #2080 on: December 03, 2019, 10:27:18 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Not in this thread.  just read the last couple of pages. 

Also, pretty funny to have clay make a comment about bumping the thread when he has done it several times in the last few weeks when he deemed Philly to be struggling.  Apparently, you can only bump this thread when Philly is struggling, not when they play well wire to wire against a good team.

Well, I am hopeful I don’t have to explain to you why people (including myself) are generally going to be happier when our division rival we are fighting for seeding loses than when they win. On top of that, they are certainly playing a lot better lately. They had a bad first half against the Knicks (a game I bet on them to win when they were down) and a lose against Toronto on the road in a toss up, but obviously they are winning aside from that. For the record, me and probably everyone else on the forum expects them to beat the Cavs and wizards so maybe we can save you some trouble there.

Their next measuring stick games will be ones against nuggets, raptors and Celtics. Those will all be good games hopefully and I am wishing the Celtics could have Hayward back

« Reply #2081 on: December 05, 2019, 09:50:25 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Sixers lost to the Wizards ... you hate to see it.   ;)

They are 10-0 at home, but a pretty bad 5-7 on the road. Not great for a veteran team with championship aspirations. And those losses are mostly to bad to mediocre teams: DC, Phx, Orl, OKC, Utah. I can't dock them too much for the road losses in Toronto and Denver.

« Reply #2082 on: December 05, 2019, 10:18:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

They are 10-0 at home, but a pretty bad 5-7 on the road. Not great for a veteran team with championship aspirations. And those losses are mostly to bad to mediocre teams: DC, Phx, Orl, OKC, Utah. I can't dock them too much for the road losses in Toronto and Denver.

The Sixers have some work to do. They may need to trade for a shooter/scorer off the bench before too long.

« Reply #2083 on: December 05, 2019, 10:25:48 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

The Sixers have some work to do. They may need to trade for a shooter/scorer off the bench before too long.
It would be a sixers thing to do - trade Horford for Blake Griffin lol

« Reply #2084 on: December 05, 2019, 11:28:05 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Brett Brown's job is on the line this season. A 4th seed is not an acceptable seeding for the preseason EC favorites since it is Finals or bust. The Sixers brass will give the Embiid-Simmons combination every opportunity to succeed, but if they don't make it work in the next couple of playoffs, one of them will be traded.