Author Topic: NBA in the Summer?  (Read 1274 times)

NBA in the Summer?
« on: September 22, 2020, 02:24:15 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I think this worked out really well.  I have no idea what the ratings have been, but I think that having the season wrap up in October would work out great in the future.  Toe to toe with baseball, I think the NBA could very well hold it's own. 

I'm guessing the NBA would not make the switch, but I would absolutely keep watching the Celtics in the summer.
Yup

Re: NBA in the Summer?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 02:40:54 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think this worked out really well.  I have no idea what the ratings have been, but I think that having the season wrap up in October would work out great in the future.  Toe to toe with baseball, I think the NBA could very well hold it's own. 

I'm guessing the NBA would not make the switch, but I would absolutely keep watching the Celtics in the summer.

Yeah, I've had no problem with it.  I love the idea of having the playoffs in the dog days of summer. 

I'm just not sure how the players would feel about having to play in the summer.  I'm also not sure how the league & its television partners feel about going up head to head with the NFL and MLB playoffs with their own playoffs. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 02:55:31 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Eh, I'd really rather not be stuck in front of a tv in the summer watching sports when I could be outside enjoying nature.

I'd definitely watch less basketball if they moved to a permanent summer schedule.  But that's probably not a widely held opinion so I don't expect the NBA to consider it.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 03:10:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Eh, I'd really rather not be stuck in front of a tv in the summer watching sports when I could be outside enjoying nature.

I'd definitely watch less basketball if they moved to a permanent summer schedule.  But that's probably not a widely held opinion so I don't expect the NBA to consider it.

I end up DVR'ing the games 99% of the time and watching at my own speed and time now.  Just tough to stay uninformed with alerts and stuff.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 03:12:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Yeah, I've had no problem with it.  I love the idea of having the playoffs in the dog days of summer. 

I'm just not sure how the players would feel about having to play in the summer.  I'm also not sure how the league & its television partners feel about going up head to head with the NFL and MLB playoffs with their own playoffs.

I hadn't seen the Silver thread when I posted this.  Sounds like we'll have some of that anyhow.

I guess by 2021-2022 season it will even back out.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I end up DVR'ing the games 99% of the time and watching at my own speed and time now.  Just tough to stay uninformed with alerts and stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't think DVR is an option for me.  I don't have cable or even own a TV.  I stream games on my laptop.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 03:19:06 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Unfortunately, I don't think DVR is an option for me.  I don't have cable or even own a TV.  I stream games on my laptop.

As mentioned, I would rather not have meaningful games in the Summer. That is typically reserved for outdoor activities and Summer Olympics/World Cup that, as much as I love basketball, would take a big backseat during those seasons.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 03:20:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I'm sure your summers will be free from NBA anyhow...I just have preferred the action to baseball (and I'm a lifelong Sox fan).
Yup

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 03:29:26 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I agree the NBA games worked this summer. However, I don't think this is something that should stick. It also helped this summer, because the MLB players and owners took a giant dump on themselves and delayed the start of their season so long, that everyone forgot about them. It wasn't too long after the MLB season started that the NBA and NHL games came back too. I only recall seeing one Red Sox (and baseball in general) game because I was more interested in the NBA.

I prefer the NBA come back in the fall/winter, especially because football is basically 2 days a week (Saturday and Sunday). I don't count Monday and Thursday because those are typically the worse matchups of the week. I guess I'm more traditional with the way it has always been, especially since it basically allows having a sporting event multiple times per week.