Author Topic: forums new look  (Read 27030 times)

Re: forums new look
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2014, 04:20:08 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm not sure the new quote blocks are effective.  Under the old layout there was no scroll bar necessary in order to read all posts within the line of quote blocks.While strings of quotes this long can sometime be a bit much to bear anyway, at least previously you could read all text.  I think justifying the interior boxes to the left worked better than centering them.

This isn't a good look:

OhandthenLebronoptsoutinthesummertosignwithus

Well, if by us, you mean LAL, then it's not far-fetched at all  ;)

Now why would I be affiliated with the Los Angeles Lakers organization, silly?

IDK...cuz you know a good thing when you see it?  :P

When was the last time the Lakers were called a good thing on a Celtics board?

Well, I have to live in a certain degree of 'fantasy land' in order to live with myself.  So, since I started running the Lakers, that's when.  8)

If I could change the name to "Left-Coast Something or Others", I would.  What can I say though, I like being able to spend crap tons of fake money on basketball players.

All American Good Guys.

#neverforget

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2014, 04:21:59 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Are you joking? that's so, so, so much easier to read than the old style.

Massive Block Quotes was, far and away, the worst thing about that format.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2014, 04:23:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Are you joking? that's so, so, so much easier to read than the old style.

Massive Block Quotes was, far and away, the worst thing about that format.

Nope not joking at all.  Dead serious.  I hurts to try to read that, and not even possible entirely.  The scroll bar is odd.

« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2014, 04:26:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Scroll bar's only there because he put it all in one word, I think.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2014, 04:28:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I will say I do like that the 'go up' and 'go down' buttons are back.  Always found those quite useful.

The separate fantasy forums header is a good choice as well, although it appears to have a few bugs to work out.

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2014, 04:32:31 PM »

fitzhickey

I like when sending a PM you don't need to know the user's username off by heart. Makes it  a lot easier to send messages

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2014, 05:22:14 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
This is a change I can get use to.  I like it.  Look so neat

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2014, 05:35:04 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I like the new look overall.

I'll also add my echo to those who have called for

a) reduce the width of the user info section on the left.
b) shrink the dead space between the comment header and the comment body, possibly by moving the Quote button into the header.
c) improve the contrast between the header bar and the body so that comments are more clearly delineated.

I'm still thinking about the new quote layout.  Not totally sure I like it or if if I hate it.

Overall, though - great job.  I know that this was probably a ton of work.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2014, 05:43:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Also, it just occurred to me that I liked how the old version of the blog/forum had a button that reformatted it for wide screens. Is there any way to get this back?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2014, 08:37:46 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
a couple of quick notes

1) specific feed back is helpful to us - general feedback may help you let off some steam, but isn't much use otherwise

2) we will do what we can to tweak and improve the design based on your feedback but obviously we can't promise anything specific - some of the design elements are a function of the software that we can't just move anywhere - just trying to manage expectations

thanks again everyone
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2014, 02:40:29 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Also, it just occurred to me that I liked how the old version of the blog/forum had a button that reformatted it for wide screens. Is there any way to get this back?

Agreed.

Also, I'd say the font is a poor choice. It's like we're in a cartoon forum.

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2014, 02:57:02 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Yeah, just now noticing that. I think this may be the reason it currently looks a bit better on my phone than my computer.

On my phone there is no blank space outside the main body of the posts/menus, thus not making everything seem squished.

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2014, 07:05:56 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Is there a page that gives directions on how to use various features when posting such as only quoting one of another poster's sentences or putting one quoted sentence in bold print?  I've been posting here for years and still only understand the basics.

On the page that appears when posting a reply (the one with the selection of faces use) there are a bunch of boxes with different options.  After 5 years I still don't know what any of them are for.

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2014, 07:27:46 AM »

fitzhickey

Is there a page that gives directions on how to use various features when posting such as only quoting one of another poster's sentences or putting one quoted sentence in bold print?  I've been posting here for years and still only understand the basics.

On the page that appears when posting a reply (the one with the selection of faces use) there are a bunch of boxes with different options.  After 5 years I still don't know what any of them are for.
you can bold by highlighting the passage and clicking the big black capital "B" up to the top left. The only way i can think of quoting a single sentence of someone without coding is to delete all their post from the quote and then reply to that sentence.

Hope that helps

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2014, 07:59:10 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter

this might help - http://docs.simplemachines.org/?topic=57.0
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)