Author Topic: Current Celtics Assistant Coach Jerome Allen admits he accepted $300k in bribes  (Read 3853 times)

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Just dump him. We don't need a criminal on the bench.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Makes you wonder why these celebs didn't just go to the colleges and give them a "donation" to the colleges so they would admit their kids. I am sure that's how the very rich have gotten their kids into colleges they didn't deserve to get into for decades.

This whole thing will come to nothing. Some people will lose their current jobs and the people accused of paying the bribes will see no jail time and get nothing more than a slap on the wrist having to do some community service.

... and very quickly, things will go back to business as usual, with new bribers and bribe-takers.
True, but it's been a very long standing avenue for the rich to go to to get their kids into top schools if their high school grades and SAT scores weren't good. When did schools stop doing this?

Seems like falsifying SATs and paying off coaches to open up athletic spots for the incoming student is a lot, lot more work. Just tell the school you will make a donation to rebuild a new IT lab, or refurbish some huge lecture halls, or whatever if they accept the kid into the school.

And is that way of doing things illegal? Does a private school not have the right to allow whoever they want into their schools?
this was my thinking when I first heard this --> don't the rich just pay full tuition and/or grease the wheels with a large donation to the school to get their kid in?  seems like this 'scheme' cost them a helluva lot more than a simple donation would have.

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Makes you wonder why these celebs didn't just go to the colleges and give them a "donation" to the colleges so they would admit their kids. I am sure that's how the very rich have gotten their kids into colleges they didn't deserve to get into for decades.

This whole thing will come to nothing. Some people will lose their current jobs and the people accused of paying the bribes will see no jail time and get nothing more than a slap on the wrist having to do some community service.

... and very quickly, things will go back to business as usual, with new bribers and bribe-takers.
True, but it's been a very long standing avenue for the rich to go to to get their kids into top schools if their high school grades and SAT scores weren't good. When did schools stop doing this?

Seems like falsifying SATs and paying off coaches to open up athletic spots for the incoming student is a lot, lot more work. Just tell the school you will make a donation to rebuild a new IT lab, or refurbish some huge lecture halls, or whatever if they accept the kid into the school.

And is that way of doing things illegal? Does a private school not have the right to allow whoever they want into their schools?
this was my thinking when I first heard this --> don't the rich just pay full tuition and/or grease the wheels with a large donation to the school to get their kid in?  seems like this 'scheme' cost them a helluva lot more than a simple donation would have.

Maybe im wrong, but a lot of it seems like bizaare bragging rights. Like, more than just going to Penn, bribing with a few hundred thousand for the right to say “athletic scholarship to Penn.”

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think he should be let go, or urged to resign.  Think of it this way, if the C's knew he did that, would they have hired him?

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Yup...just do what the Trumps do. I think Jr got in after a $1.5 million donation to Penn.

The same thing that the Clintons did with Chelsea at Stanford. A donation of a cool 2 Mill came directly out of the old Foundation.

Can you please provide your source for this?

I looked and couldn't find anything. I did see that Chelsea got into Stanford in May 1997, and that the first iteration of the Clinton Foundation was founded in June 1997. This leads me to believe you might be misinformed.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Yup...just do what the Trumps do. I think Jr got in after a $1.5 million donation to Penn.

The same thing that the Clintons did with Chelsea at Stanford. A donation of a cool 2 Mill came directly out of the old Foundation.

I looked and couldn't find anything. I did see that Chelsea got into Stanford in May 1997, and that the first iteration of the Clinton Foundation was founded in June 1997. This leads me to believe you might be misinformed.

Oh please god, can we talk about the Trumps and Clintons? Especially what they did 20 years ago? That's my favorite.

Let's talk about Jerome Allen. You may have hear of him. God among men. Man among boys. Coach among assistant trainers. Recipient among bribers. We didn't deserve him.

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

Oh please god, can we talk about the Trumps and Clintons? Especially what they did 20 years ago? That's my favorite.

Let's talk about Jerome Allen. You may have hear of him. God among men. Man among boys. Coach among assistant trainers. Recipient among bribers. We didn't deserve him.

I spit/drooled a little coffee when I read this. You win the day.

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
It would be awesome in some alternate universe if they could figure out exactly who the kids were that were not admitted because of this fraud, and have all of the cheaters/criminals compensate them directly!  F these cheaters.  I hope he's released immediately.

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Even private schools often receive federal and state grant money and can become subject to various regulations as a consequence.

And further, improper dealings in admissions of one student may violate contractual terms with others.   An application for admission is a good faith transactional process that usually has some written terms governing the process.   If it isn't really executed in good faith (because some other student got in through a "donation" bribe, bypassing the terms) then that could be considered fraud.

The reality is that the rich buying their offspring's way into top schools (Exampe A:  Jared Kushner, barely a B student, got into Harvard hot on the heels of his grandfather's massive donation to the university) is something that has gone on and likely will go on.  But as there is more pressure to make the admission processes more transparent (see the court cases arguing over racial biases) that hopefully may make it harder for that sort of quid-pro-quo to happen without someone throwing a flag.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
All coaches do It

He just got caught

I think the coaches are often the ones funneling the money to recruits, rather than taking money to admit an underqualified student into school.

Coach K, for instance, isn’t letting some scrub onto his team because he gets a bribe from mommy and daddy.

In this scheme, the student wasn't ever put onto a team or even expected to be an athlete.  They were just getting admitted as if they were one.  In some schools an athletic scholarship student might not require the same test scores and grades as other students.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
make him work it off , pay it back to some good cause.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Anyone see the vid of Lori Laughlin's daughter talking about school before starting USC. She said she didn't really want to attend school(classes) that she wanted to be there for the parties and game day and stuff like that. School wasn't important.

So mom broke the law for her to go party at USC and attend sports games. Just...wow.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Bridge
Water

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Anyone see the vid of Lori Laughlin's daughter talking about school before starting USC. She said she didn't really want to attend school(classes) that she wanted to be there for the parties and game day and stuff like that. School wasn't important.

So mom broke the law for her to go party at USC and attend sports games. Just...wow.

saw that last night.  knew that was going to be like taking a bat to a hornet's nest.

some kids are like that - see college as a time to party without parental oversight with no intention of applying themselves to the schoolwork.  have to admit the kids I knew/met with that attitude all came from money.

most kids go with the attitude of applying themselves as best they can and trying to work in a social life whenever possible.  that was my approach.  seemed to work out just fine when I was there.  of course that was the prevalent attitude of people who didn't get a free ride at school and needed loans/job money to pay for tuition/R&B/books/etc...

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

This one I doubt. Verification?

The Kennedys and the Bush's got into Harvard and Yale because their dads went there and gave a lot of money. That's SOP for the elite schools. They reserve places for sons and daughters of prominent alumni. It keeps the money flowing.