Poll

What should happen to Jason Whitlock

Suspended
Fired
No Discipline
Ridiculed into submission for his hypocrisy

Author Topic: What should happen to Jason Whitlock  (Read 29634 times)

Re: What should happen to Jason Whitlock
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2012, 12:03:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I submitted that before reading your warning. I probably ignored the red thing

Appreciated.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2012, 12:05:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I voted for firing.  Whitlock is a writer that has made his career discussing racial injustice and stereotypes and then makes a very poor joke about it.  When he is called on it and asked to apologize he comes up with perhaps the worst apology I have ever seen.  
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2012, 12:06:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I submitted that before reading your warning. I probably ignored the red thing

Appreciated.
I finally get a little appreciation around here for once.  :D   :-*

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I voted for firing.  Whitlock is a writer that has made his career discussing racial injustice and stereotypes and then makes a very poor joke about it.  When he is called on it and asked to apologize he comes up with perhaps the worst apology I have ever seen.  

Its wasn't an apology! It was just an explanation!

Saying "Here is how and why I was a tool" is not expressing any kind of regret for your tooly-ness.

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 12:57:54 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64

Saying "Here is how and why I was a tool" is not expressing any kind of regret for your tooly-ness.

This, to me, is even more upsetting than the tweet itself. We've all said or written things that we wish we hadn't, and most of us have the decency to recognize and genuinely regret it.

Whitlock is just being defensive when he should be contrite. I'm a big believer in forgiveness, but it needs to be asked for in sincerity.

If he was my employee, I'd fire him.

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 01:24:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

seems like an apology to me, unless the part about him being truly sorry isn't what he meant.  Of course he appears to only be truly sorry for debasing a true feel good sports moment, which is why I would fire him.  He just doesn't get it.

I get Linsanity. I've cried watching Tiger Woods win a major golf championship. Jeremy Lin, for now, is the Tiger Woods of the NBA. I suspect Lin makes Asian Americans feel the way I feel when I watch Tiger play golf.

I should've realized that Friday night when I watched Lin torch the Lakers. For Asian Americans and a lot of sports fans, his nationally televised 38-point outburst was the equivalent of Tiger's first victory in The Masters. I got caught up in the excitement. I tweeted about what a great story Lin is and how he could rival Tim Tebow.

I then gave in to another part of my personality — my immature, sophomoric, comedic nature. It's been with me since birth, a gift from my mother and honed as a child listening to my godmother's Richard Pryor albums. I still want to be a standup comedian.

The couple-inches-of-pain tweet overshadowed my sincere celebration of Lin’s performance and the irony that the stereotype applies to pot-bellied, overweight male sports writers, too. As the Asian American Journalist Association pointed out, I debased a feel-good sports moment. For that, I’m truly sorry.

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

seems like an apology to me, unless the part about him being truly sorry isn't what he meant.  Of course he appears to only be truly sorry for debasing a true feel good sports moment, which is why I would fire him.  He just doesn't get it.

I get Linsanity. I've cried watching Tiger Woods win a major golf championship. Jeremy Lin, for now, is the Tiger Woods of the NBA. I suspect Lin makes Asian Americans feel the way I feel when I watch Tiger play golf.

I should've realized that Friday night when I watched Lin torch the Lakers. For Asian Americans and a lot of sports fans, his nationally televised 38-point outburst was the equivalent of Tiger's first victory in The Masters. I got caught up in the excitement. I tweeted about what a great story Lin is and how he could rival Tim Tebow.

I then gave in to another part of my personality — my immature, sophomoric, comedic nature. It's been with me since birth, a gift from my mother and honed as a child listening to my godmother's Richard Pryor albums. I still want to be a standup comedian.

The couple-inches-of-pain tweet overshadowed my sincere celebration of Lin’s performance and the irony that the stereotype applies to pot-bellied, overweight male sports writers, too. As the Asian American Journalist Association pointed out, I debased a feel-good sports moment. For that, I’m truly sorry.

Those words generally qualify as an apology - though I guess the level of sincerity is subjective to the intended recipient (s).
Yup

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Ya, somehow I don't get the feeling he really cares deeply about the Asian community or Lin.

I'd fire him so as not to lose the Asian market.

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2012, 02:15:06 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64

Those words generally qualify as an apology - though I guess the level of sincerity is subjective to the intended recipient (s).

Note that he is apologizing for debasing a feel-good moment, not for tweeting something so patently offensive that it would be unacceptable from him in any situation.

It's a step above, "I'm sorry you were offended," but it still doesn't give me the impression that he feels as bad about what he wrote than the fact he's getting called out on it.

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
what should happen to Jason Whitlock?

He should be put on a diet, and exercise program. Jason Whitlock needs an intervention. Morbid obesity is dangerous health condition. If it isn't treated probably, the complications stemming from it results in premature death.

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2012, 04:13:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I'm not sure why you quoted me.  I mean I think I pretty clearly indicate I think it is an apology, just a bad one.

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2012, 04:14:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I voted for firing.  Whitlock is a writer that has made his career discussing racial injustice and stereotypes and then makes a very poor joke about it.  When he is called on it and asked to apologize he comes up with perhaps the worst apology I have ever seen. 

I'm not sure why you quoted me.  I mean I think I pretty clearly indicate I think it is an apology, just a bad one.

Agreement, I'm guessing.

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I voted for firing.  Whitlock is a writer that has made his career discussing racial injustice and stereotypes and then makes a very poor joke about it.  When he is called on it and asked to apologize he comes up with perhaps the worst apology I have ever seen. 

Agreement, I'm guessing.

yeh, I was quoting you because your quote had the quote from the article.  Agreeing with your rebuttal.
Yup

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2012, 04:28:18 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
2pac made jason tweet that, all that evil rap music

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Come up with a punishment that can be described as "two inches of pain", such as being forced to listen to a two-inch tall stack of (unboxed) Madonna CDs (unless he's into that sort of music) or being fined an amount of money equivalent to a two-inch tall stack of cash.  Apply to Jason Whitlock.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference