Author Topic: Bucks are the Celtics biggest competition in the east  (Read 4776 times)

Bucks are the Celtics biggest competition in the east
« on: August 08, 2018, 07:35:34 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Tell me otherwise.

Celts have an easier Time containing Simmons in a Sixers series due to his non existent jumpshot, they also have the defensive frontline presence to make things difficult for Embiid. Nobody else on that squad should worry them, at least not yet (jury’s out on Fultz)

It’ll won’t be any picnic scoring against the Raptors but at the end of the day the Celtics are by far the superior offensive team.

I think this is the year that Giannis establishes himself as a legit MVP candidate. They have a lights out shooter in Middleton whose in a contract year, Bledsoe who can’t possibly play any worse than he did in the last years playoffs, Lopez who adds another dimension to their offense, and an actual coach in Budenholzer now who can make it all work together. Argument can be made they gave Boston a  tougher time in the playoffs than any other team overall (there were games where they blew out the Cavs pretty easily.)

I still don’t think they’re a legitimate threat just yet (think BOS wins the east with ease, even with injuries), but if they can get it together that team is a big headache.

Bledsoe / Brogdon
Middleton / Divicenzo
Giannis / Snell
Henson / Ilyasova
Lopez / Maker

Just looks like Giannis has a better supporting cast than Simmons/Embiid or Kawhi..

Re: Bucks are the Celtics biggest competition in the east
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
https://hoopshype.com/2018/08/08/milwaukee-bucks-nba-brook-lopez-free-agency-expectations/

^ Lopez already talking a big game.

This team has shades of the mid to late 00’s Cavs teams that LeBron carried. A nice, balanced roster with some nice B grade players lead by a superstar. But we all know those teams had not too high of a ceiling to put it mildly..

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 07:54:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
They had pretty brutal coaching and really pushed us, a lot harder than the 76ers did. I still think Toronto is the toughest, but then there are a bunch of teams that could be right there including Bucks, Wizards or philly.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Raptors are the primary threat. Bucks may well be a tougher matchup than the Sixers though.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 08:04:56 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
They had pretty brutal coaching and really pushed us, a lot harder than the 76ers did. I still think Toronto is the toughest, but then there are a bunch of teams that could be right there including Bucks, Wizards or philly.

I wouldn’t put the Wizards anywhere near the conversation. They’ll make the playoffs, sure, but their chemistry was a nightmare last year, and now they’re adding one of the most socially toxic players in the league in Howard to their roster. Really like some of their young players - Porter, Oubre, Beal - I think they should just move on from Wall and use those guys as the foundation.

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 08:08:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think it's between Milwaukee and Toronto, assuming Kawhi buys in and Nurse can coach.

I still think we beat them handily though. They have nobody who can even come close to Kyrie, and one of Hayward/Tatum will have a really easy night. Plus, Lopez is a terrible rebounder and defender who has become infatuated with shooting 3's
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 08:12:43 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Raptors are the primary threat. Bucks may well be a tougher matchup than the Sixers though.

If the Raptors are the biggest threat, you can pretty much pencil in a Celtics-Warriors finals.

Lowry and Kawhi are really good, but imagine how full their hands will be with the likes of Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Hayward..

Then you look at the rest of their roster - Danny Green, Serge Ibaka, Jonas Valanciunas, Fed Van Fleet..next.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 08:16:51 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Not concerned about the Bucks unless Giannis has developed a jumper during the offseason. 
They aren't going to start Henson and Lopez but it would be great (for us) if they did.  Giannis plays best at the 4.  Other than Giannis and Middleton, I wouldn't want anyone on their team. 

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 08:46:45 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Toronto gave us a lot of trouble last year, when we were without Hayward and they didn’t have Kawhi yet. Even though DeRozan is a solid player, if Kawhi is healthy and tuned in he’s a big upgrade, and not just on defense. I still like our chances to beat the Raps but don’t sell Kawhi short.

I’m surprised nobody is naming Indiana as a top east coast team. They took Cleveland seven games last year and they’ve made some nice additions. It would not surprise me at all to see them play better than the Sixers.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:55:08 PM by Sophomore »

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 09:35:26 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Toronto gave us a lot of trouble last year, when we were without Hayward and they didn’t have Kawhi yet. Even though DeRozan is a solid player, if Kawhi is healthy and tuned in he’s a big upgrade, and not just on defense. I still like our chances to beat the Raps but don’t sell Kawhi short.

I’m surprised nobody is naming Indiana as a top east coast team. They took Cleveland seven games last year and they’ve made some nice additions. It would not surprise me at all to see them play better than the Sixers.

What? we beat them twice without Kyrie and one loss was when we were slumping bad.

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
The Celtics are the Warriors of the east now. I don't think any team in the conference is on their level.

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 10:47:04 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

What? we beat them twice without Kyrie and one loss was when we were slumping bad.

That’s not right. We lost two out of three to the Pacers last year, and Kyrie played all three games.  The only game we won required a miracle steal from TRoz in the last few seconds. https://www.google.com/search?q=boston+celtics+vs+indiana+pacers+2017-18&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

In the offseason the Pacers added Tyreke Evans, Kyle O’Quinn, and Doug McDermott - no world beaters, for sure, but quality depth. The big question is whether Oladipo continues to play at that very high level, and their young guys, especially Turner, can take a step forward.

Last year they finished 5th in the regular season and, again, took Cleveland seven games. I think we beat them; I just don’t see that they’re on a much lower tier than, say, the Bucks or the Sixers.

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 10:57:01 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

Ok I just realized you must be talking about the Raps. They blew us out twice, including a game we had Kyrie. We also won twice - one nice convincing win and one nail-biter when DeRozan missed a good look at the game winner from inside the foul line. It’s a little hard to compare those games because, as you say, we were missing some players and there were some incredible streaks - good and bad. I expect to beat Toronto, but I don’t expect it to be easy. Jaylen actually defended DeRozan pretty well. Be interesting to see how he and the rest of them can do against Kawhi.

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 11:09:20 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Yeah the Bucks are good but once we get Kyrie and Hayward back, they'll be no problem.
The 76ers will get swept.

The Raptors will be the true test in the East.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 12:26:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That’s not right. We lost two out of three to the Pacers last year, and Kyrie played all three games.  The only game we won required a miracle steal from TRoz in the last few seconds. https://www.google.com/search?q=boston+celtics+vs+indiana+pacers+2017-18&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

In the offseason the Pacers added Tyreke Evans, Kyle O’Quinn, and Doug McDermott - no world beaters, for sure, but quality depth. The big question is whether Oladipo continues to play at that very high level, and their young guys, especially Turner, can take a step forward.

Last year they finished 5th in the regular season and, again, took Cleveland seven games. I think we beat them; I just don’t see that they’re on a much lower tier than, say, the Bucks or the Sixers.
I actually agree about Indy. Their guard depth is nasty, and O'Quinn is a great guy next to Sabonis and Turner
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)