Author Topic: 2019 Celtics - Best team ever?  (Read 9498 times)

2019 Celtics - Best team ever?
« on: August 02, 2018, 05:11:43 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Little bit of clickbait, sorry!  ;)

Will the team that beats the warriors (hopefully us) be considered one of the best teams of all time, as the warriors are considerd on a level with jordans bulls?
What would have happened if Jordans bulls lost to Utah or Seattle? How would they be remembered?

Just some random thoughts  ::)
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

Re: 2019 Celtics - Best team ever?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 05:32:06 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Nothin wrong with this kind of clickbait!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 05:36:37 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The warriors set a record for most wins in a season , won 3 titles in 4 years and still i don't know if they are a top3 team OAT

So in my book beating them this season doesn't mean much in this context. Win 3-4 in a row and then maybe we could consider this

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:04:30 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
The warriors set a record for most wins in a season , won 3 titles in 4 years and still i don't know if they are a top3 team OAT

So in my book beating them this season doesn't mean much in this context. Win 3-4 in a row and then maybe we could consider this

That doesnt mean much. It all comes down to opinion. Some consider the warriors as the greatest team of all time, you don't. Some have their own biases with their beloved eras, some with teams. Bottomline is,its hard to tell, esp if you will ignore stats and achievements.

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 06:05:54 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
No one championship team would be considered "best ever". 

Nothing will ever top the Celtics from 1957 - 1969, where they won 11 of the 17 championship banners and only lost TWICE during that time.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 06:11:09 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff

That doesnt mean much. It all comes down to opinion. Some consider the warriors as the greatest team of all time, you don't. Some have their own biases with their beloved eras, some with teams. Bottomline is,its hard to tell, esp if you will ignore stats and achievements.

Maybe they are maybe they are not.  That's why i said 'i don't know"

Still i don't understand where is the objection. Even if GS is the best team ever , beating them this year doesn't make the Cs (or any team) the best team ever

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 06:47:00 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Can we just start calling the Warriors the Monstars now?

I mean, now they've got DMC / 5 All Star starters by the end of the year... and no one likes em.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
This is an incredible team. They got a shot to win 70 games next year.

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Will the team that beats the warriors (hopefully us) be considered one of the best teams of all time, as the warriors are considerd on a level with jordans bulls?
The Warriors lost to the Cavs in 2016. That's the year the Warriors broke the Bulls record for most wins during the regular season, yet no one considers the 2016 Cavs the best team ever.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:58:20 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 10:17:44 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Are you talking about the Warriors or the Celtics? That is an exceptionally hot take for the C's, although I could see them winning 65.

To the OP's question, I don't think beating the Warriors would make this Celtics teams one of the best ever. However, it could mark the beginning of a Celtics dynasty. In the past up and coming teams overtaking the current champion has marked the start of a team's dominance.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 10:34:30 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Are you talking about the Warriors or the Celtics? That is an exceptionally hot take for the C's, although I could see them winning 65.

To the OP's question, I don't think beating the Warriors would make this Celtics teams one of the best ever. However, it could mark the beginning of a Celtics dynasty. In the past up and coming teams overtaking the current champion has marked the start of a team's dominance.

I mean, if you grant the team good health and expected improvements from young guys like Brown and Tatum, is winning 70 games really a hot take? We mark all the boxes needed for a team to win that many games: 1) top-tier talent, 2) young All Stars in the making, 3) high-end role players and depth, 4) great coaching, 5) veteran leadership, 6) a two-way team, 7) size, length,and athleticism across the board, 8) excellent versatility, 9) a tight locker room, and 10) an easier conference schedule.

Given just decent health throughout the year, I really think 70 wins is a realistic goal.

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 10:47:22 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff

I mean, if you grant the team good health and expected improvements from young guys like Brown and Tatum, is winning 70 games really a hot take? We mark all the boxes needed for a team to win that many games: 1) top-tier talent, 2) young All Stars in the making, 3) high-end role players and depth, 4) great coaching, 5) veteran leadership, 6) a two-way team, 7) size, length,and athleticism across the board, 8) excellent versatility, 9) a tight locker room, and 10) an easier conference schedule.

Given just decent health throughout the year, I really think 70 wins is a realistic goal.

It's been done only twice ..... Teams like the 80s Celtics didn't reach the 70 wins
Obviously is doable but realistic ??? no

I don't think it a distraction that helps the team. The goal is the championship. Keeping the minutes low , having everyone fresh and in good shape for the playoffs should more important than winning an extra game to reach 70.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

70 wins has been accomplished only twice in history.  Being a historically great team should never be a baseline expectation, or even something qualified as “with health.”  We got 60 games out of Kyrie last year, and he has arguably his best season.  10-12 more games of him isn’t going to get us to 70, especially given how well Rozier played in his absence.  Hayward is terrific if he returns to form, and might be worth 10-15 wins on a bad team, but the marginal improvement we’ll get from him is likely to be far less (that marginal gain should be enough to get us to the finals with a shot to beat Golden State, so it’s very valuable.  It just doesn’t get us to 70 wins).

65 wins feels like a “most everything goes right” kind of result.  That’s also a championship-caliber team, so sign me up!

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 11:14:16 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

70 wins has been accomplished only twice in history.  Being a historically great team should never be a baseline expectation, or even something qualified as “with health.”  We got 60 games out of Kyrie last year, and he has arguably his best season.  10-12 more games of him isn’t going to get us to 70, especially given how well Rozier played in his absence.  Hayward is terrific if he returns to form, and might be worth 10-15 wins on a bad team, but the marginal improvement we’ll get from him is likely to be far less (that marginal gain should be enough to get us to the finals with a shot to beat Golden State, so it’s very valuable.  It just doesn’t get us to 70 wins).

65 wins feels like a “most everything goes right” kind of result.  That’s also a championship-caliber team, so sign me up!
For a frame of reference, the Big 3 Garnett/Pierce Celtics topped out at 66 wins. It'd be pretty surprised if this version of the C's was better than that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 11:14:16 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

The Warriors could win 70 every regular season if that was their main goal.

I think Who is right so long as it's understood that it's a small chance, it's just that having any chance at all is a huge compliment to the caliber of roster we've got.