Author Topic: Is This the Last Year of Golden State's Core with Durant?  (Read 10239 times)

Re: Is This the Last Year of Golden State's Core with Durant?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 04:51:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know some of the Warriors might take less to keep the team together but these players are nuts. They've won multiple rings. They will be part of history forever being a part of the NBA's newest dynasty. Time to get paid because after 28 to 30 years old, any money you give back, you are just losing and will never make it back.

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 05:16:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I expect Thompson to take a deal in the $25 million range to keep the team together, but Draymond will bolt in 2020.  I think KD will also continue to take $5 million or so under his max.

Will Draymond still be effective in 2020 or worth the max that he's 'seeking'? He'll be turning 30.

I would be surprised if he’s not still effective.  Maybe not worth the max that will be around $35 million, but there will be a numbe between the $18.5 million he’ll get next year and that $35 million, and my gut says that he’ll seek the highest number he can get (which is completely justifiable), and Golden State will be outbid.

I will be shocked if whoever signs Green doesn't massively regret it.

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2018, 06:01:33 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Everyone always assumes star players in their will take a discount, but it really doesn't happen that much, and if it does, it's not a significant discount.

Durant can make 37 million in 2019-2020. Thompson can make 32 million. I just can't see either taking more than a few million discount. I find it highly unlikely that Thompson takes a 25% discount (24-25 million) of his max, or that Durant continues to play for 30 million (over 20% discount) of his max.

Let's just say they do take paycuts at 25 and 30 million. With only filling out their roster with minimum contracts, they would pay over 40 million in luxury tax again next year, which brings their payroll up to almost 200 million.

I agree that if both Thompson and Durant take paycuts, then Green will likely get paid elsewhere, but I don't think it will get that far.

I find if far more likely that Durant or Thompson goes to the Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, or Nets with some other combination of Butler, Walker, etc.

Klay Thompson, being human, will at one point look around and say, why should I be the one to sacrifice to keep the team together? Steph hasn't, he got his full bag. Durant pretended to sacrifice but more than made up for his small discount with off-court revenue. Green isn't going to take a hometown discount, you know that guy is running for the $ as soon as he can.

He's either going to get paid by the W's or somewhere else. My guess is someplace else.

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2018, 06:04:29 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
I expect Thompson to take a deal in the $25 million range to keep the team together, but Draymond will bolt in 2020.  I think KD will also continue to take $5 million or so under his max.

Will Draymond still be effective in 2020 or worth the max that he's 'seeking'? He'll be turning 30.

I would be surprised if he’s not still effective.  Maybe not worth the max that will be around $35 million, but there will be a numbe between the $18.5 million he’ll get next year and that $35 million, and my gut says that he’ll seek the highest number he can get (which is completely justifiable), and Golden State will be outbid.

Green is your classic guy who looks 5X better because of whom he plays with. He should be kissing the feet of Steph and KD for how much $ they are going to make him. Does anyone really believe he would be an All-NBA player anywhere else?

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2018, 06:23:09 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
A HUGE part of me would like to see them all stay except Draymond.  That way he can go be a #1 option on a team, they suck badly, and everyone finally realizes how truly overrated he is. 

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2018, 06:24:24 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224

Green is your classic guy who looks 5X better because of whom he plays with. He should be kissing the feet of Steph and KD for how much $ they are going to make him. Does anyone really believe he would be an All-NBA player anywhere else?

Agreed. If Draymond was playing on the Magic he’d be a $10-$15 mill a year player at best. He owes The splash brothers and KD his career.

Being drafted by a dynasty couldn’t have happened to a more likable guy  ::)

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 06:26:34 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I think the opposite, that Green will take less to keep the train rolling, because he has to know he will become pretty irrelevant on a bad team that gives him the max.

Klay on the other hand, may actually be worthy of a max and could be effective on another team and not be the “fourth star” of the Warriors.

Klay, unlike Green, can continue to be an All-Star if he went to another team. Klay could get more recognition and more appreciation elsewhere.

Durant will stay because I really don’t think there is an avenue for him (like LeBron returning to Cleveland) to undo what he did to his image and legacy.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 07:05:18 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112

I think the opposite, that Green will take less to keep the train rolling, because he has to know he will become pretty irrelevant on a bad team that gives him the max.

Klay on the other hand, may actually be worthy of a max and could be effective on another team and not be the “fourth star” of the Warriors.

Klay, unlike Green, can continue to be an All-Star if he went to another team. Klay could get more recognition and more appreciation elsewhere.

Durant will stay because I really don’t think there is an avenue for him (like LeBron returning to Cleveland) to undo what he did to his image and legacy.

Except he was quoted not long ago stating he wants the max.

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 07:08:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I could see Durant decide to go play with Lebron in LA next year. No doubt in my mind that that is a very real possibility

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 07:19:54 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

I could see Durant decide to go play with Lebron in LA next year. No doubt in my mind that that is a very real possibility

I think what happens this year will decide a lot. The Warriors looked pretty vulnerable vs Houston last year. This year will only be worse. They reportedly had locker room issues last year and those will only get worse adding a proven cancer like Boogie (off the bench lol). I think it will brutally tough for them to win this year. They will have to get through Houston, LA and hopefully us. Very tough.

If they don't win this year I think it totally crumbles and everyone goes someplace else..

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

I think what happens this year will decide a lot. The Warriors looked pretty vulnerable vs Houston last year. This year will only be worse. They reportedly had locker room issues last year and those will only get worse adding a proven cancer like Boogie (off the bench lol). I think it will brutally tough for them to win this year. They will have to get through Houston, LA and hopefully us. Very tough.

If they don't win this year I think it totally crumbles and everyone goes someplace else..

Oh yeah. The pressure on that team, year after year in the front page... it's gotta grind.

Scotty aside, weren't Jordan's 2 3-peats mostly different teams?  And Kobe's 2nd 2 were with a different team than the first 3.

It's just hard to keep it together for so long, mentally, in skills (e.g. Injury or age), or financially.

Their core has several more years of prime ball. Healthy, they should be set if they can keep their attitudes straight and the boss writes the checks.

Usually, it's not the stars but overpaid journeymen that are the budget busters on contenders. They just have so many stars that they're rewriting how to structure team payroll.

Are they somehow taking turns getting paid?  Like, making sure each guy gets a full max at some point, and taking discounts at others?  I really wonder what their longer term plan is (and ours, for that matter).  Like, how high can payroll get?  How much are these top franchises bringing in a year when player salary and tax tops $350M?

And when you essentially have the contenders paying so much tax, they basically pay their opponent, how far are we from a regular season of Globetrotters/Generals games?

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2018, 06:33:57 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Lakers drool over GS players ...typical ....wanting to rebuild using everybody elses picks .

They are praying to get Thompson . 

They think everybody is dying to play with Lebron Jams and be a Laker and play for Lebron instead of a team and Coach .

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2018, 09:17:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Oh yeah. The pressure on that team, year after year in the front page... it's gotta grind.

Scotty aside, weren't Jordan's 2 3-peats mostly different teams?  And Kobe's 2nd 2 were with a different team than the first 3.

It's just hard to keep it together for so long, mentally, in skills (e.g. Injury or age), or financially.

Their core has several more years of prime ball. Healthy, they should be set if they can keep their attitudes straight and the boss writes the checks.

Usually, it's not the stars but overpaid journeymen that are the budget busters on contenders. They just have so many stars that they're rewriting how to structure team payroll.

Are they somehow taking turns getting paid?  Like, making sure each guy gets a full max at some point, and taking discounts at others?  I really wonder what their longer term plan is (and ours, for that matter).  Like, how high can payroll get?  How much are these top franchises bringing in a year when player salary and tax tops $350M?

And when you essentially have the contenders paying so much tax, they basically pay their opponent, how far are we from a regular season of Globetrotters/Generals games?
Jordan and Pippen are the only members of the Bulls that have more than 3 titles.  That first Bulls team was running on empty.  There is a pretty decent chance that had Jordan not retired that first time, he would only have 3 titles as that team struggled immensely with the Rockets and his retirement was the impetus to remake the team and start over so to speak (the Rockets are the only team that played the Bulls even in all 6 of the title seasons).  When Jordan came back, the roster was vastly different and he was re-energized which led to the 2nd 3-peat. 

Fatigue is a real thing.  Not just from playing deep into the post-season but just spending that much time together with the same group of people.  It drains on you and eventually catches up to you. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2018, 10:04:51 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Jordan and Pippen are the only members of the Bulls that have more than 3 titles.  That first Bulls team was running on empty.  There is a pretty decent chance that had Jordan not retired that first time, he would only have 3 titles as that team struggled immensely with the Rockets and his retirement was the impetus to remake the team and start over so to speak (the Rockets are the only team that played the Bulls even in all 6 of the title seasons).  When Jordan came back, the roster was vastly different and he was re-energized which led to the 2nd 3-peat. 

Fatigue is a real thing.  Not just from playing deep into the post-season but just spending that much time together with the same group of people.  It drains on you and eventually catches up to you.

Don't forget the mighty Will Perdue. Lol.

If we win some rings with Horford/Hayward/Kyrie we will probably see another team built around Tatum Brown. Mostly because they're so young..

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2018, 10:17:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Don't forget the mighty Will Perdue. Lol.

If we win some rings with Horford/Hayward/Kyrie we will probably see another team built around Tatum Brown. Mostly because they're so young..
Perdue has 3 rings with the Bulls.  He got a 4th with the Spurs.  That is what I meant.   Rodman has more than 3 titles as well, again though only 3 with the Bulls.  Same with Kerr, and I'm sure there are others. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip