Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 114341 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #300 on: May 17, 2018, 02:28:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The implication in a CBS article, though, was that he's just prepping for the EuroLeague title and doesn't want to look like he's already got a foot out the door.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-draft-2018-top-3-prospect-luka-doncic-still-undecided-about-leaving-euroleague-after-season/

Mike
I can see that. This was the quote
"Ι'm not sure if these are the last two games [in Europe]," Doncic said at a news conference for the EuroLeague Final Four. "We have yet to make this decision. Perhaps after the season."

« Reply #301 on: May 17, 2018, 02:45:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
The implication in a CBS article, though, was that he's just prepping for the EuroLeague title and doesn't want to look like he's already got a foot out the door.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-draft-2018-top-3-prospect-luka-doncic-still-undecided-about-leaving-euroleague-after-season/

Mike
I can see that. This was the quote
"Ι'm not sure if these are the last two games [in Europe]," Doncic said at a news conference for the EuroLeague Final Four. "We have yet to make this decision. Perhaps after the season."

If Doncic comes over this year, next year he's still worth taking. For The Suns it helps the tank if he stays. The Kings no so much since we are getting there pick.

« Reply #302 on: May 30, 2018, 12:36:04 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Dončić now, at age of 18, is head and shoulders above what Larry was then.

This is pretty comical.   I doubt you seen much or early Larry Bird.   If I had a dollar for every guy you hyped up from the Euroleague that busted, I bet I could have a good night on the town with a nicedinner, a movie and a taxi for two.

There is not much tape of Bird in high school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8YYBqBHlg

that I am aware of, but here is some in college in 77

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78zmV209ews

I know he is a few years older  in 77 game but Bird was way better .
I'm late to this thread but I just have to comment on this.  Doncic ahead of Bird?  LOLOLOL!  Somebody clearly hasn't seen young Larry.  Bird was better than Doncic in every conceivable way.  Quicker, smarter, better shooter, much better defender, higher IQ (and Doncic is quite good), better passer (Doncic also quite good),better hands, better rebounder, better size, better without the ball, much better back-to-the basket game, vastly underrated athlete.  I suppose you could say their ballhandling is on par, adjusted for era and Doncic has a nice in-between game, but still not as good as Larry.

Bird put up 32.8/13.3/4.4 with 2.8 steals and 1 block in his Freshman year!  Bird was a 10/10, generational talent, surefire HOF'er.  Doncic will be a 3rd-fiddle role player. 

« Reply #303 on: May 30, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This is pretty comical.   I doubt you seen much or early Larry Bird.   If I had a dollar for every guy you hyped up from the Euroleague that busted, I bet I could have a good night on the town with a nicedinner, a movie and a taxi for two.

I'm late to this thread but I just have to comment on this.  Doncic ahead of Bird?  LOLOLOL!  Somebody clearly hasn't seen young Larry.  Bird was better than Doncic in every conceivable way.  Quicker, smarter, better shooter, much better defender, higher IQ (and Doncic is quite good), better passer (Doncic also quite good),better hands, better rebounder, better size, better without the ball, much better back-to-the basket game, vastly underrated athlete.  I suppose you could say their ballhandling is on par, adjusted for era and Doncic has a nice in-between game, but still not as good as Larry.

Bird put up 32.8/13.3/4.4 with 2.8 steals and 1 block in his Freshman year!  Bird was a 10/10, generational talent, surefire HOF'er.  Doncic will be a 3rd-fiddle role player.
Larry was a 21 year old freshman.

« Reply #304 on: May 30, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Are we trading the farm for Luka Doncic or DeAndre Ayton?

Tatum for Doncic straight up. Let's see if the Suns bite lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #305 on: May 30, 2018, 05:43:47 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Are we trading the farm for Luka Doncic or DeAndre Ayton?

Tatum for Doncic straight up. Let's see if the Suns bite lol.

Just because marijuana has been legalized doesn't mean that you have to smoke it before posting.

Mike

« Reply #306 on: June 08, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

And?  Doncic is a 4th year pro who didn't improve between his 3rd and 4th year (didn't play much in yr 1).  The only real change from yr 3 to 4 was increased minutes and usage rate and worse 3pt shooting.  He's already a very polished player for his age, not some raw prospect in need of development.  He's not going to magically start pulling down 13 RPG with 3 steals.  He's not getting any better athletically.  That's why his ceiling isn't nearly as high as people think.

Again, I think Doncic will be a fine 14/5/5 type of rotation player, but Larry Bird?  Gimme a break.  100 times more likely to be Bojan Bogdanovic.

« Reply #307 on: June 08, 2018, 03:22:13 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

And?  Doncic is a 4th year pro who didn't improve between his 3rd and 4th year (didn't play much in yr 1).  The only real change from yr 3 to 4 was increased minutes and usage rate and worse 3pt shooting.  He's already a very polished player for his age, not some raw prospect in need of development.  He's not going to magically start pulling down 13 RPG with 3 steals.  He's not getting any better athletically.  That's why his ceiling isn't nearly as high as people think.

Again, I think Doncic will be a fine 14/5/5 type of rotation player, but Larry Bird?  Gimme a break.  100 times more likely to be Bojan Bogdanovic.

Of course Doncic is better at the same age, Bird wasn't even playing basketball and was picking up trash. This doesn't mean that Doncic WILL be better, but clearly Doncic, MVP of Euroleague at 19, has had the better first 19 years of basketball.

« Reply #308 on: June 08, 2018, 03:30:28 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I think this puts things into full perspective at the type of player Bird was when he was a senior in High School, which is more or less the age Doncic is now.

But Bird, whom fans from outside the Valley labeled a kid from nowhere playing nobodies, failed to capture the state’s imagination. He wasn’t even considered one of the top players in Indiana—the 1974 Mr. Basketball title was shared by two other boys; Bird, who had signed to play with the Hoosiers over Purdue and Indiana State, was only a third-team all-state selection. That summer, stung by a lack of playing time on the Indiana Boys All-Star team in its annual series with Kentucky, Bird twice refused to enter a game at Butler’s Hinkle Fieldhouse to play mop-up minutes.

« Reply #309 on: June 08, 2018, 03:31:24 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Of course Doncic is better at the same age, Bird wasn't even playing basketball and was picking up trash. This doesn't mean that Doncic WILL be better, but clearly Doncic, MVP of Euroleague at 19, has had the better first 19 years of basketball.
Correct.  Every NCAA, NBA or Euroleague player under 21 years old has outperformed Bird to this point in their life.  I'm glad this is settled.

« Reply #310 on: June 08, 2018, 03:35:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Correct.  Every NCAA, NBA or Euroleague player under 21 years old has outperformed Bird to this point in their life.  I'm glad this is settled.

Not necessarily, but Doncic clearly has.

« Reply #311 on: June 08, 2018, 03:43:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You compared an 18 year old Doncic's stats in the Euroleague to 21 year old Larry's stats as a freshman. My guess is you didn't realize Larry was 3 years older than Luka at the points you are comparing them. It will be interesting to see how good Doncic will be at 23 in the NBA, which is how old Larry was as a rookie. Not expecting him to be as good but when comparing them, it will be good to see just how good each player was in the NBA at the same age.

« Reply #312 on: June 08, 2018, 03:44:38 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

How?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #313 on: June 08, 2018, 03:48:41 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

How?

Is the question, how Doncic has outperformed Bird at the same age? If so, one word - logic. Unless you think those 10 Indiana players that made the 1st and 2nd team All-State, ahead of Bird, were also better than Doncic is now.

« Reply #314 on: June 08, 2018, 03:55:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Is the question, how Doncic has outperformed Bird at the same age?

He hasn't.  Also, in Bird's time the US amateurs beat the Europeans almost every year save one.  Those NCAA players kicked behind in the Olympics.  The Bird in his prime or coming out of college would have scored 30 points a game, maybe more, in Europe this year.  If we had a time machine he would make you eat your words.   He also was way better rebounder.

For those who think he will be equal to Bird, I feel bad for you.   You're going to get disappointed badly.