Author Topic: Looking for Good YouTube Channel/Video Lectures to Watch  (Read 2700 times)

Looking for Good YouTube Channel/Video Lectures to Watch
« on: December 29, 2016, 11:23:53 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Hey all,

I haven't been on too much recently; school and life got really busy really quickly. Like all of you, the Cavs game has left me dazed and confused. However, I'm here asking for life advice.

Long story short, I need to spend 30 minutes every day doing therapy which renders my hands immobile. To cope, I decided to take the 30 mintues and dedicate it to self-improvement. Unfortunately, I've struggled to find HOW. My hands are the only part of the body engaged in the therapy: I just sit there. I can't read, because I can't hold a book or scroll down, and I hate audio books. I've tried watching movies, listening to music, and watching TED talks, all of which helped me for a time but had no connecting theme. So I decided to ask all of you for recommendations regading what I should watch next. I'm looking for a video series or group of lectures that I can watch to generally improve my life. These videos can be any length, but I need to be able to watch successive episodes without clicking or tapping anything.

I know this is a weird thread, but I'm sure some of you know of great speakers or YouTube channels. I'm particularly interested in behavioral psychology, business, philosophy, or computer science, but I will try anything. Thanks for reading!

Re: Looking for Good YouTube Channel/Video Lectures to Watch
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 12:05:13 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Welcome back, GetLucky, and TP.

In college, I had the good fortune to have a behavioral biologist, E.O. Wilson, as my Organismic and Evolutionary Biology instructor.

Best class I have ever taken.One book that we discussed in small sections in that class was "The Naked Ape" by Desmond Morris, a somewhat controversial book and figure at the time.

Morris created a 6 part BBC series that's available on youtube. It's fascinating in parts and boring in others, but on the whole covers many topics in the field.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAGggYDwCYhNUrPu-Pv7oBnNuCjDwH2WN

An interesting paraphrase of a quote that drove most of Morris' work follows:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAGggYDwCYhNUrPu-Pv7oBnNuCjDwH2WN

"we must remember that in analyzing human behavior, that in the majority, it is the beast that has molded society, not society that has  molded the beast".

Good luck in your noble quest of self-improvement.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 12:08:35 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Would meditation work?
Yup

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:59:29 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Motivational speakers:
Les Brown
Anthony Robbins
Jaret Grossman

The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 02:31:50 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm so the complete opposite. I look for completely different levels of stuff for my free time. I have been spending my recent free time watching goverment, giants, alien, and Antarctica conspiracy ect stuff. It's a riot when you don't believe a word of the stuff. I lol more than when I watch SNL.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 03:35:20 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Hey GetLucky, hope this therapy leads to quick and noticeable results!

In the meantime I highly recommend Dr. Jordan B. Peterson out of the University of Tontonto and formerly Harvard. It's primarily behavioral psychology but it also delves into history and he has a lot of stuff out there for personal improvement.

I'm still relatively new to him but I found this talk pretty fascinating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY7a1RXMbHI

For strait historical, I'm a huge proponent of Hardcore History with Dan Carlin. It's an extremely in depth presentation of historical events from countless angles. Carlin describes himself as a history nerd and former journalist so though he's not a historian himself he's able to break down an incredible amount of detail, giving as fair representation to all sides as he is capable.

Highly recommend the Wold War 1 Series Blue print for Armageddon but I started with Prophets of doom which dealt with an unprecedented  case of religious fundamentalism gone amok in 1700's Germany.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x79MW1gWtJ8

I walk away from Hardcore History with the realization that I knew nothing(!) about certain eras like World War 1 and The ancient Sumerian and Persian culture. It's been a huge commute and menial task improver.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 04:17:47 AM by Smartacus »

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 05:14:47 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Philosophy. Try Alan Watts.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

In the meantime I highly recommend Dr. Jordan B. Peterson out of the University of Tontonto and formerly Harvard. It's primarily behavioral psychology but it also delves into history and he has a lot of stuff out there for personal improvement.

For strait historical, I'm a huge proponent of Hardcore History with Dan Carlin. It's an extremely in depth presentation of historical events from countless angles. Carlin describes himself as a history nerd and former journalist so though he's not a historian himself he's able to break down an incredible amount of detail, giving as fair representation to all sides as he is capable.

Highly recommend the Wold War 1 Series Blue print for Armageddon but I started with Prophets of doom which dealt with an unprecedented  case of religious fundamentalism gone amok in 1700's Germany.

I walk away from Hardcore History with the realization that I knew nothing(!) about certain eras like World War 1 and The ancient Sumerian and Persian culture. It's been a huge commute and menial task improver.

I finished the World War I series recently after listening to King of Kings and was really looking forward to digging back into past podcasts but couldn't find them on iTunes.  Are they available anywhere?  I tried listening to a couple other podcasts, but nothing quite satisfied like Carlin.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 11:26:41 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

I finished the World War I series recently after listening to King of Kings and was really looking forward to digging back into past podcasts but couldn't find them on iTunes.  Are they available anywhere?  I tried listening to a couple other podcasts, but nothing quite satisfied like Carlin.

Just excellent work from a talented team eh Redz?

Unfortunately there is a paywall for the old works...
http://www.dancarlin.com/product-category/hardcore-history/classic-hardcore-history/

$2 a show but honestly for the amount of work they put in you can see why the standard "release it and let ads cover the rest" podcast model might not work as well for it.

Each episode I've heard is well worth the price and owning the actual download files make them easier to listen too and keep up with than streaming them.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 11:47:12 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
Thank you all of the awesome suggestions! I honestly did not expect so many in-depth and thoughtful answers. The Celticsblog community continues to amaze!

Csfansince60s: Thank you so much for the background and link. That must've been a fascinating class to be in. I'll be sure to watch the BBC series!

Redz: I actually started meditating on a regular basis about a year ago, and I can honestly say it has changed my life. I'm so much more aware of anxiety/stress and how to relieve it. Unfortunately, I can't completely zone out during the therapy; I just need something to keep my mind occupied and stimulated while I sit still for 30 minutes.

JSD: I am a big Tony Robbins fan. The last movie I watched was the "I Am Not Your Guru" documentary about his seminar. I'll definitely check out some Les Brown and Janet Grossman stuff!

Csfan1984: I actually do that every once in awhile. I've gotten through about 7 1/2 seasons of The Office during these sessions. However, I just watched a TED talk about time management and talked to an intelligent friend of mine about how he reads articles on his phone while he waits for the train. Both of these experiences got me thinking that I could really learn a lot if I took the 30 minutes of "dead" time every day and focused on learning about one subject matter for a few weeks. Lord knows I spend more than enough time on the Internet and watching movies.

Smartacus: Thank you for the recommendation! I'm listening to the lecture right now! Fascinating stuff!

Once again, I appreciate all of the fantastic suggestions and links that everyone has posted!

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 11:59:59 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 12:03:03 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
https://youtu.be/NWnVpUpehRI
Aw shoot, KG. I totally missed your first comment! I appreciate the follow-up. The subject matter is right up my alley! TP for you and everyone else that has helped out so far!

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 12:32:56 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Just excellent work from a talented team eh Redz?

Unfortunately there is a paywall for the old works...
http://www.dancarlin.com/product-category/hardcore-history/classic-hardcore-history/

$2 a show but honestly for the amount of work they put in you can see why the standard "release it and let ads cover the rest" podcast model might not work as well for it.

Each episode I've heard is well worth the price and owning the actual download files make them easier to listen too and keep up with than streaming them.

cool...thanks

happy to support them.  I always feel bad when I don't send a dollar when they ask (mainly because I'm driving!)
Yup