Author Topic: Ray Allen has OCD (literally)  (Read 25698 times)

Re: Ray Allen has OCD (literally)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 05:48:54 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
This is a fantastic article by Jackie MacMullan. I never thought egos would be a problem with these guys. I thought the opposite, that they would be too unselfish with each other on the floor. But this article blew me away. These guys are all very different personally, but they make it work off and especially on the floor. They seem to not allow these differences to get in the way. I like to watch the Celtic bench when you can during a game (TV). You can see everyone on the team likes each other. And often you see PP and Ray with big smiles and just fooling around when the game is in hand. The article also gives a hint of the influence the vets have on the younger guys. Posey, PJ, House, Scals and actually Cassell (who I was afraid of) have been great. I've also been a supporter of Doc from day 1, but this article gives you more insight of what a head coach has to deal with. He is so understanding of what makes a person work and flexible in the way he deals with his players. Red Auerbach's great skill was that he understood people, treated each one differently, but at the same time treated them alike. He was demanding, but allowed for each individual's uniqueness and was flexible when a player asked for something. He also respected his players. Doc has shown this same skill.

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
As a 'Neurotic Guy' myself, I now have even more affection for Ray and Rondo than before reading the article.  There is an amazing dichotomy which exists amongst some folks with mental and neurological disorders in that either destructive outcomes or unique levels of achievement may result (or periods of each).  Two very different sides of the same coin.  This is one reason NOT to give up on ANY child with troubling behavior, but rather to be open to seeing them through the lens of their strengths.  

My hope is that these anxiety related factors in the lives of Ray, Rondo, KG, etc prove to continue to be motivators to success and do not at any point become destructive or overwheming to them and their families.

On a final note, can you imagine any profession less suited to one who is germ phobic (Rondo) than professional basketball?  I'd give lots to know just what Rondo is thinking when Posey does his full embrace with mouth in Rondo's face prior to each game. Must be interesting...

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Awesome article.  You couldn't have two more mildly insane players than Ray and KG.  Insane in a good way though.  They aren't destructive like Ron Artest.  But they are definitely a little nuts.   From everything i've read on those two, I think it's safe to say they are both a little nuts.  I'm not complaining... I love it.

Great to hear players like Rondo are picking up some of those better traits. 

Probably could never replace Doc Rivers, huh?  With how intense Ray is about routine and how loyal KG is... I can't see us replacing him after putting together a 66 win season. 

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 02:55:46 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Good Stuff Roy, but somebody should tell Ray that it's not borderline OCD, he's got the real deal.  Rondo's excessive hand washing and germophobia could be an indication of the same.  However, let them get treatment when their careers are over

I can tell you have never known anyone with a full blown case of OCD. Ray's is hardly the real deal - nor is Rondo's. OCD is a crippling disease. Some people can't even leave the house because they will keep checking the stove. They know it's off but they have to check it over and over again. They will wash their hands till they are BLOODY. It's not a laughing matter nor an assest for your career in anyway.

Being a perfectionist or very neat is NOT OCD.. Here is the critical difference really - IMHO. An OCD suffer will do things that aren't the least bit rational, and they are aware they aren't rational and keep doing them. Working even obsessively on your jumper when your a PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL PLAYER is entirely rational and can be considered a good idea.

Ray is a pretty smart guy and his "borderline" qualifier is quite accurate..

Pete

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2008, 09:09:24 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Ray's is hardly the real deal - nor is Rondo's. OCD is a crippling disease. Some people can't even leave the house because they will keep checking the stove. They know it's off but they have to check it over and over again. They will wash their hands till they are BLOODY. It's not a laughing matter nor an assest for your career in anyway.

Being a perfectionist or very neat is NOT OCD.. Here is the critical difference really - IMHO. An OCD suffer will do things that aren't the least bit rational, and they are aware they aren't rational and keep doing them. Working even obsessively on your jumper when your a PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL PLAYER is entirely rational and can be considered a good idea.

Pete
You took the words right out of my mouth, Sweet17!
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 10:39:05 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Good Stuff Roy, but somebody should tell Ray that it's not borderline OCD, he's got the real deal.  Rondo's excessive hand washing and germophobia could be an indication of the same.  However, let them get treatment when their careers are over

I can tell you have never known anyone with a full blown case of OCD. Ray's is hardly the real deal - nor is Rondo's. OCD is a crippling disease. Some people can't even leave the house because they will keep checking the stove. They know it's off but they have to check it over and over again. They will wash their hands till they are BLOODY. It's not a laughing matter nor an assest for your career in anyway.

Pete

Actually, this doesn't quite ring true. I have what you call "full-blown OCD", and have been dealing with it most of my life. Personally, I've never done many things that were "irrational", and being obsessive about a jump-shot could very well be a symptom of OCD. It affects everyone differently, of course, but to say that only people who display irrational behavior are the ones with "full-blown" OCD is not correct.

Yes, that can be one way in which the disorder manifests itself, but that comes far short of explaining the pathology and extent of it's symptoms. OCD behavior is usually a repetitive or obsessive action done to relieve anxiety or stress, or anxiety-producing intrusive thoughts, and can be things that are quite rational indeed, (in fact most often are).

It's very much like the "snowball" effect, as when the obsessive or compulsive behavior is done, it's negatively reinforced by relieving the stress or intrusive thought temporarily, and thus adds to the propensity of it being done again, and the period of relief becomes shorter and shorter, thus requiring the behavior to be repeated on a more frequent basis.

Speaking first-hand, I can tell you that most of the behavior I had trouble with, was very rational and realistic, but I felt an irrational need to repeat it, to the point where it interfered with my daily life and duties. Most others I've known with the problem, were also not performing "irrational" acts, but just doing normal things in an abnormal way, or to an abnormal extent.

Also, the reasons that this behavior is repeated and obsessed about are very rational indeed. There may be a fear of getting disease from touching someone else's glass, or by standing too near to someone who's coughing, and so the person feels they have to wash their hands, or wear a dust mask, or similar. The fact that they could get a disease or germs from touching something that someone else has touched, is a very real possibility, and not "irrational" at all. How they respond to that stimuli, however, by say washing over and over, is what is not normal.

I must also state here, that OCD can be "full-blown" in someone, and that person may exhibit very few outward signs at all. It may manifest itself as just obsessive or intrusive thoughts, which may cause paralyzing anxiety, or which the person may internalize to a great extent, and not display any outward public behavior at all. It that sense, someone may have a very intense case of OCD and those around him may not know at all. This actually happens quite often.

To say Ray does or doesn't have OCD would be up to a professional who has worked with him closely on addressing it. He may very well have "full-blown" OCD, and not be exhibiting overly-dramatic abnormal behavior. Saying he doesn't have it because he's not doing irrational things over-and-over, is really not correct, and is simplifying a disorder that goes much deeper, and manifests itself in far more extensive and subtle ways.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade here, but a great deal of misunderstanding can come from such over-simplifications, and if we're ever going to address this insidious problem in a positive way and out in the open, they we've really got to take the time to understand it's many facets, not take discussing it objectively for granted, and not jump to conclusions based on a lack of experience or knowledge. It's a much bigger problem than what most people realize, and there may very well be people close to you who struggle with it privately, and have no outward, irrational behavior at all.

Ray may be one of these, or he may not ... it's not up to us to say. But we also shouldn't come to premature conclusions based on what we think the problem is all about. Talking about it is a great thing, as it brings these misunderstandings out in the open, and we need to do that much more than we do. But, unless there is somehow first-hand knowledge from a professional who has worked with Ray and diagnosed him as not suffering from OCD, there is absolutely no way you could tell from his public behavior that he doesn't suffer from it.

Most people in my life, even those closest to me who lived with me day-to-day, had no inkling I had such a problem with it, and it wasn't until I did something about it myself, that it was recognized and treated. Ray could very well have had openly obsessive behavior, and be effectively treating it, in which case it would not be noticeable either. And while some feel it's psychological, and some feel it's neurological, it's still not known to this day what all the causes and mitigating factors are to this problem.

I think it's prudent to keep discussing this subject, as there is still so little known about it, and so much that's misunderstood. But I also think it's wise to not jump to conclusions, or assume someone does or doesn't have it, just by basing it on their outward behavior. That's selling them a bit short, I feel, and selling this problem short as well. Talk about it, yes, but leave the diagnosis and treatment to the professionals who are responsible for doing just that.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 11:07:29 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Ray's is hardly the real deal - nor is Rondo's. OCD is a crippling disease. Some people can't even leave the house because they will keep checking the stove. They know it's off but they have to check it over and over again. They will wash their hands till they are BLOODY. It's not a laughing matter nor an assest for your career in anyway.

Pete
You took the words right out of my mouth, Sweet17!

Not that I mark the definitive word on anything, but I would suggest that the information available to date would be insufficient either rule out or rule in a diagnosis of OCD (and please note that I realize that such speculation from us  is silly and is only being disucssed because Ray used the term).  You are correct that being a perfectionist or very neat are not sufficient to warrant a diagnoisis of OCD, however, one with OCD certainly CAN (for a time) rationalize the value of obsessions or compulsions and they CAN indeed work for the indivudal in SOME aspect of their lives.  If Ray is truly OCD (and be clear -- I would not venture to guess if he is or isn't) there would be significant interference in his normal routine, occupational functioning OR relationships.  While working 'obsessively' on one's jumper may work fine in terms of occupational functioning -- we do not have sufficient information to conclude that his 'obsession' is not causing interference in other aspects of his life (thus, meeting diagnostic criteria).  

We should accept that OCD, like any other disorder, isn't precisely the same in its maniestations or impact in all people who have it.  You are correct that for many with this disorder its impact is devastating.  And even if Ray doesn't meet the diagnostic criteria for OCD, he is still acknowledging an unusual level of stress that impacts his thinking and behavior -- and as I said before -- is now channeled positively at least in terms of his occupational fuctioning.  I don't think anyone inferred on this thread that Rondo's 'germ-thing' is evidence of OCD -- but perhaps falling somewhere in the 'quirky' realm (which may be all that Ray's stuff is too).  But again, we all recognize (I think) that we don't really know these guys at all, and this speculation is probably wrong unless we acknowledge that our feeble conclusions are drawn on shreds of information and have no real connection to the actual human beings we are taking about.

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Another interesting thing is that with Ray's seemingly need for routine and structure, he was the one, when in Europe during training camp, who was the adventurer, the guy who removed himself from routine. Remember his ride on the motorbike in Italy that scared the heck out of Danny and the wrong side of the road drive to his old home in England? 

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 11:46:49 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Not surprised. It's shows up in his game and in his personality. He's also hinted toward's it in an interview with dickerson before.

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2008, 12:21:01 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
I don't think anyone here is trying to discuss the true nature of OCD is also attempting to oversimplify the matter. Quite to the contrary, as some of you have noted, OCD is far more complex than what is perceived by the general public. That is where the stigma lies...not in those who know more of it.

OCD as with all mood disorders encompasses a range of condition that varies in degree, in breadth and with the individual on both the physiological and personal level. OCD, as with most other mood disorders, can be quite cyclical. Cycling rate can be a very large factor in how well someone with chronic Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder may function in this world over time.

Two things are clear and for certain. One is that ultimately the only diagnosis of OCD that counts is one performed by a mental health professional who knows what he/she is doing (many don't in this territory) and that subjective diagnosis of oneself or others is only important to the ones making it. The other thing is that anyone suffering chronic OCDI and is also a rapid cycler, will not be able to function nearly as well as Ray Allen has. That combo has a tendency not only to diminish the lives of ones affected by it, but to destroy them.

I've seen it first hand where even with long cyclers, OCDI produced extended periods (months or more) of incoherence where an individual was literally paralyzed with confusion, frustration and indecision. I've watched, powerless to help, as victims of the condition -- also powerless to do anything about it -- witnessed their own lives fall apart before their eyes. Most often, people around them lack both understanding and sympathy. Like all mood disorders, OCD can be tragic.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 01:08:58 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
does checking your email obsessively qualify?  :)  just afraid i might miss something important, like a sale at JC Penneys...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2008, 02:01:50 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Really great article ... nice find, RH! (TP) I must admit I have OCD as well, and though it is now discussed openly, and treated quite effectively with medication, it's something that always follows like a shadow, and something that can be very destructive if not recognized and dealt with on many levels.

I'm sure some remember Mahmoud Abdul Raouf, (who had Turrets Syndrome), who was an amazing shooter. He almost always had to arrive 2 hours earlier than everyone else for games and practice, (and stay later), in order to allow for the overflow of symptoms. That very often included seemingly endless shooting practice, or taking a half-hour to tie his shoes, as he had to repeat actions until they "felt" right.

OCD has some very similar pathology and origins as Turrets, and it manifests itself in very much the same way, although very often to lesser extremes. KG has some strong tendencies toward OCD as well, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was much wider spread in professional sports than is recognized. That said, it makes a lot of sense knowing this about Ray, as it explains much of his behavior and "reserved" personality.

I think discussing this kind of thing can only be beneficial, and more prominent people speaking out and admitting to such problems is a great tool in addressing a problem that has always been kept quiet to some extent. Thanks for posting this important issue, Roy, nice to see people react so positively to it!

TP for you. i remember watching him on Inside Stuff with Ahmad Rashad talking about this. the second i read the title of this thread i thought about abdul-rauf and thought about that interview and watching him tie his shoes and then immediately unlace them and then retie them 3,4,and sometimes 5 times for each shoe. and watch him shoot jumpers and even when the ball would touch nothing but net feel the need to shoot it again for exactly the reason you said "it didn't 'feel' right" he'd say. a really mysterious disorder(at least to me). have no clue what causes it but ray's compulsions have obviously bred good working habits in the young players around him. his work with rondo immediately comes to mind and im sure his effect on all the young players. id love to see pruitt get up here next year and be able to stick around. between ray and sam cassell you may not find a better environment to breed a young guard. i kinda wish gerald couldve been drafted this year so he couldve been effected by all the wisdom and experience this team now has.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2008, 02:02:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I was watching Oprah back in like 1997 (shut up) and they said that like 80% of all people had some form of OCD.  Borderline or not... it's really common.  It's not always full blown "What About Bob" style.   When I was a kid I'd have this constant compulsion to turn my light on and off when I was in bed.  It would drive me nuts.  I'd have to get up, turn the light on and turn it back off.  It had to feel perfectly right when I turned the light off.  The switch had to be perfect.   I didn't know what exactly was causing that, but sometimes a good hour would pass and I was still screwing around with the light.  I also remember being like 6 and shouting "goodnight dad" when I was about to go to sleep.  If I didn't hear him respond, I'd have to keep shouting it.  Eventually he'd respond and I'd go "OK Goodnight!".  And then I'd wait for him to respond to that.  If he didn't respond, I'd shout "goodnight!"... and if he did respond, I'd feel the need to have the last word and say, "Ok goodnight".  You can imagine how this can cause a pretty conflicting cycle.  On one hand it's bothering me that he isn't responding... on the other hand I feel the need to have the last word.  Eventually it'd end with me whispering the last "ok goodnight" and rationalizing that he couldn't respond, because I was whispering it.  Again... I think that's a clear sign of OCD.

I had the same thing as Ray with basketball.  I had to make a shot before I left the court, but sometimes it just didn't feel like a perfect shot so I'd keep shooting until I felt that perfect shot.  Or maybe i'd hit the shot, but for some reason wasn't expecting it to go in and for some reason it didn't count... so I'd convince myself that I had to shoot another one.  And sometimes I just felt an overwhelming compulsion to shoot 5 layups in and then hit a shot.   Had to do it or I'd get angry.  One time I was entirely out of gas and finally hit the perfect shot... and then I was just ticked that I was out of breathe... so I kicked the hell out of the basketball.  But then I got ticked that I didn't kick it perfectly...   yeah...

There were other small things that I'd do, but after catching that Oprah episode, I was able to recognize what was causing it and pretty much stopped entirely.   Kinda interesting how that worked out.  I'm convinced that I had/have some level of OCD, but obviously it's not to the point that it wrecks my life.  Simply being aware of the problem was enough for me to more or less stop.  I think the fact that I was aware of other people doing it and other people being able to avoid the compulsions was enough for me to mentally say, "the hell with the light switch... I need some sleep".

I figure Ray is OCD as well.  Again, you don't gotta be full blown "What About Bob" status to have OCD.  As said on Oprah, there are a variety of different forms.  Sometimes compulsion sometimes obessive.  Different levels of it.  But they estimated 80% of the population had some traces of it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 02:08:39 PM by LarBrd33 »