Author Topic: Which center should we sign?  (Read 39695 times)

Re: Which center should we sign?
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2022, 09:34:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I would be absolutely fine with Boogie.

I'd rather Greg Monroe than LMA

Yeah I threw Monroe’s name out there the other day. He looked quite decent in short stint with Wolves especially vs Celtics. Game has evolved to where his game is more suitable at the 5 than Drummond, which would have been blasphemy to say a few years ago. Although Drummond still better.

« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2022, 09:50:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would be absolutely fine with Boogie.

I'd rather Greg Monroe than LMA

Yeah I threw Monroe’s name out there the other day. He looked quite decent in short stint with Wolves especially vs Celtics. Game has evolved to where his game is more suitable at the 5 than Drummond, which would have been blasphemy to say a few years ago. Although Drummond still better.
He only played 14 games last season, but I liked what I saw. I get that small sample sizes hurt, but there was still some good stats which back up what I saw in the games of his I watched. His offensive rebounding was spectacular last season - almost Steven Adams level good. His passing was great, and he was efficient.

Perhaps most importantly, his defence was serviceable. Not above average, but not bad by any means. He was using his length and size really effectively. I'd be perfectly fine with Moose as our emergency big.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2022, 12:06:49 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Completely forgot I had this forum to talk some Celtics lol. Well looking at the list seriously the BPA is…..COUSINS! 🙄

Hear me out!
Before you say attitude, stop wait… imagine if Boogie was in the game when Green kicked Brown.. Dray was acting a fool and we had no one to counter it…

What if Boogie was wearing green when Kyrie stepped on lucky? Could Boogies biggest flaw be an actual need for them? And HAVE SEEN HIM PLAY IN DENVER?? GUYS.. I was stunned.. I could not believe he still looks like a top player.. no seriously look at ANY highlight of last year.

That Denver offense looks like it was made for him, it was incredible watching him. If he brings the way he plays offense to the Celtics it will create an entirely new dimension to the team. His passing is superb and he runs the offense from the top of the key and is EXTREMELY SMART WITH HIS DECISIONS. He can make every play from that position rather it’s shooting the ball, driving to the paint, making the right pass, or POSTING UP. Did y’all know he can’t be guarded in the paint 1 on 1? He was treating smaller guys like they were BBQ chicken.. I’ve only seen Embiid treat people like that nowadays.

I thought he was washed, but I can honestly see him slotting in for Horford when he needs rest with ease. Heck I’m just going to say it… if he gets his stamina back he can start over horford from what I’ve seen.

If reports are true and he wants to start, he will have PLENTY of opportunity here with Rob and Horford always needing tons of rest. If he is not signed yet, I wonder what the hold up is. I believe it’s either waiting on KD decision or a better than vet min contract. Either way, I’m very surprised he’s still a FA from what I just seen.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 12:15:53 AM by mrceltics2013 »

« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2022, 06:33:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I can tell you the one we should not have signed,  Luke Kornet.
I agree. I don’t get that one.

Good teammate, who knows the schemes and he's 7'2"...  4th string center...

Good teammates don't bring home banners.   Right now, he is behind Al and Rob at center and 3rd string center which if it stays that way we're in trouble.

« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2022, 07:10:54 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Just not meant for Boogie to ever be on the Celtics …LOL

« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2022, 07:23:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Probably true.  Particularly when we've got a couple of guys (Tatum, Grant) who are constantly getting distracted by the refs, it probably wouldn't help to have DMC around.  He's a bad example, and probably puts even more of a target on the teams back.

But, he's the most skilled center out there.  He can score, pass, rebound and shoot from outside.  He's slow on defense, which hurt, but he's usually doing the right things and shows effort there.  And, he's a good teammate.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2022, 08:07:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Probably true.  Particularly when we've got a couple of guys (Tatum, Grant) who are constantly getting distracted by the refs, it probably wouldn't help to have DMC around.  He's a bad example, and probably puts even more of a target on the teams back.

But, he's the most skilled center out there.  He can score, pass, rebound and shoot from outside.  He's slow on defense, which hurt, but he's usually doing the right things and shows effort there.  And, he's a good teammate.
And yet it's a week after free agency has started and Boogie doesn't seem Boogie has teams clamoring for his services and he will probably not get anything but a min contract.

His on court attitude hasn't ever been good and maybe he isn't such a great team mate/locker room guy if he is still unemployed.

« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2022, 08:14:09 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
After 11 pages of posts, not going to look to see if this has been covered, but I found it this morning, I know I read it on Twitter yesterday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/celtics-dwindling-backup-center-options/ar-AAZgEbq?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=711cb1e7a5bf4aa39e00d6577d9d7e68

For a pure flier, Chinanu Onuaku is the guy there I'd go for, aside from Giles.  Looks like playing in the Israeli top tier, he's figured things out.

"Onuaku washed out of the NBA about four years back. But he’s figured things out playing in Croatia and Israel the last couple of years. He’s an NBA-level talent and could probably handle 10-15 minutes a night as a backup. At 26 years old, Onuaku screams classic “late bloomer”."

We're talking flier, so what the heck!

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2022, 08:15:34 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

30% from 3 last season between MIL and DEN last season.  That is not all that good.

I will say that Cousins has seemed to restore more of his game this last season but he has not been really good since about 2017.  I am sure it is tough for a player who was once a star and is still fairly young, to accept that you are not that good anymore.  I don't necessarily disagree with those stumping for him, I get it, I am just afraid that he really isn't that good but doesn't know he isn't that good.  That can lead to problems.

I prefer to wait and see if something better is available (better in terms of fit).  I recognize that there is an opportunity cost with that but we are talking about an insurance big for the end of the bench (well not quite the end I guess, if Kornet is on the bench).  Is it really worth the possible chemistry issues that Cousins could cause for that?  Is there any chance that Cousins would be more than the 5th big?  Beat out GWill for minutes for example?

« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2022, 08:16:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

And yet it's a week after free agency has started and Boogie doesn't seem Boogie has teams clamoring for his services and he will probably not get anything but a min contract.

His on court attitude hasn't ever been good and maybe he isn't such a great team mate/locker room guy if he is still unemployed.

No, I think the locker room stuff has been universally positive, at least since his early years in Sactown.  If there were fractures, I would expect to hear it.

He's unemployed because he's now a backup center with a history of major injuries.  He's in the same class with a lot of guys:  Lopez (who was signed), Whiteside, Howard, Dieng, etc.  Guys you give 15 minutes to.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2022, 09:34:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

No, I think the locker room stuff has been universally positive, at least since his early years in Sactown.  If there were fractures, I would expect to hear it.

He's unemployed because he's now a backup center with a history of major injuries.  He's in the same class with a lot of guys:  Lopez (who was signed), Whiteside, Howard, Dieng, etc.  Guys you give 15 minutes to.
But why didn't Denver bring him back?  To my knowledge, they haven't gotten a back-up center in free agency.  So why didn't they re-sign him?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2022, 09:39:47 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

But why didn't Denver bring him back?  To my knowledge, they haven't gotten a back-up center in free agency.  So why didn't they re-sign him?

The Nuggets signed DeAndre Jordan.  Not sure that either are better or worse than the other, but they offer different skills.

« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2022, 09:41:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

They signed DeAndre Jordan three minutes into free agency.  It puzzled everybody.

« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2022, 09:51:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

They signed DeAndre Jordan three minutes into free agency.  It puzzled everybody.
Doesn't that make it worse for Cousins though?  I mean the Nuggets thought Jordan was a better optoin.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:13:51 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2022, 10:14:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Doesn't that make it worse for Cousins though?  I mean the Nuggets though Jordan was a better optoin.

Eh.  Not really.  Didn't you make the exact opposite argument regarding D12?  That changing teams frequently isn't a criticism of the player, but rather specific team needs.