Author Topic: Welcome Brandan Wright - 6'10, 35.5 vertical leap, 7'5 wingspan  (Read 52279 times)

Re: Welcome Brandan Wright - 6'10, 35.5 vertical leap, 7'5 wingspan
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2014, 09:43:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Before you hang the guy do some research.
Brandon Wright just turned 27, he protects the rim, scores, rebounds well if given minutes, he plays behind one of the best PF in league history. He gives the Celtics something they don't even come close to having, length and defense at the rim and from the power forward position. (KO can relax a bit, he has some help now)

Can we sign him next year, I don't know, lets see if we want to sign him first. He'll sign for less than Rondo.

Rondo was going, he didn't want to stay here, he told everyone he wanted to test the market. It's this or nothing.

If THIS is all we're getting, then I'd rather gamble on resigning Rondo.

There's about 2 more months till the trade deadline, you're telling me Danny couldn't shop Rondo and had to settle in this sewage waste of a deal?

I'm with you, Twinkie ;) ;D - TP.

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2014, 09:47:09 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Good job, Danny!

This deal will make us a better team in the long run.

Please tell me how?

$12.9 million dollar trade exception.
Athletic big man.
First round draft pick.
No money wasted on washed up Rondo.
Did you just call one of the "players" we got in this trade "athletic"? Did you just call a string bean (Wright) "big"?
Did you just call the leading assist man and best rebounding pg in the game "washed up"?
Do you value picks in the 20s?

Chris22 really has been a trade-rondo fanatic eversince he came to the board; He must be soiling his pants right now in glee now that his fantasies came true;

Will he soil his pants if Rondo turns out to be good with good talent and Brandan Wright turns out to be, well, a bench player?

Will he be happy if we get a player in the draft with that pick that will end up like Marshon Brooks or Jajuan Johnson.

Of course he will. Rondo is gone, rejoice.

At least Brooks had considerable skill, but I forgot about Jajuan Johnson.  Our shotblocking problems have been solved (sarcasm).  To the d-league (which is what this team will now look like, anyway)!  Ugh.

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »

Offline Jayman

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Excited to see this guy play as a Celtic. Finally a legit rim protector. 75 percent FG percentage. Excels in transition basketball.
Zeller Opp FG% at rim: 48.3
Wright Opp FG% at rim: 49.2

::)

« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2014, 09:48:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Excited to see this guy play as a Celtic. Finally a legit rim protector. 75 percent FG percentage. Excels in transition basketball.

what about career avg?

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2014, 09:50:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Brandon Wright just turned 27, he protects the rim, scores, rebounds well if given minutes, he plays behind one of the best PF in league history. He gives the Celtics something they don't even come close to having, length and defense at the rim and from the power forward position. (KO can relax a bit, he has some help now)

Can we sign him next year, I don't know, lets see if we want to sign him first. He'll sign for less than Rondo.

Rondo was going, he didn't want to stay here, he told everyone he wanted to test the market. It's this or nothing.

Please, god, no!  I don't want any current player that's a part of this deal on our team moving forward.  It's called a repressed memory - now drop it!!! ;) ;D

« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2014, 09:50:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well... his per minute production is surprisingly great.  Per-36 averages of 17 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1.3 steals on 75% shooting (76% from the line)

Gotta hand it to Ainge... trading one of the league's most overrated players for one of the league's most underrated.   I'm still a fan of Danny.

« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well... his per minute production is surprisingly great.  Per-36 averages of 17 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1.3 steals on 75% shooting (76% from the line)

Gotta hand it to Ainge... trading one of the league's most overrated players for one of the league's most underrated.   I'm still a fan of Danny.
But he doesn't get to play 36 because he's horrid.

« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2014, 09:53:56 PM »

Offline Jayman

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6

what about career avg?
Last year Wright was at 54.2% and Zeller was 48.3%

I think you'll be disappointed if you think plugging Wright in as our starting centre will dramatically help our interior defense.

« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2014, 09:54:51 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Except he doesnt play 36 minutes. I get it though, adjusted.

Those are great numbers, coming off the bench, playing against mostly second units. If he start and plays more than 18 minutes, can he sustain that production?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2014, 09:56:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Don't you always think "Mavs" when you think "great interior defense"? And don't you always think "B Wright" when you think "Mavs"?

We're so lucky! We have a great per 36 minute player now!

« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2014, 09:58:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Don't look now, but we actually did. The guy is 27 and the Mavericks thought so highly of him that they felt compelled to go out and get a starting big every year for the past three seasons.

Which is not entirely surprising given that he's a guy who has no offensive game other than putbacks and dunks and rebounds like Brandon Bass (yes, he does, career TRB% of 13 as compared to Bass' 12).

Yes, he gives the Celtics a shot blocker. But he also gives them a huge question mark about how efficient he can be for a full season against starters.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2014, 09:58:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Look at the blocks before you cherry pick a stat.   1.6 BPG to .7 BPG for Zeller.  Really having him equals the blocked shots of Olynyk and Sullinger together.

Which is not entirely surprising given that he's a guy who has no offensive game other than putbacks and dunks and rebounds like Brandon Bass
  You never seen Bass shoot the mid range?   He is deadly from the left side of the floor.

http://www.bobcatsbaseline.com/2014/bobcats-2014-trade-deadline-scenarios-part-one/brandon-bass-sc/

I think Bass has way better range than Wright.

« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2014, 09:59:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Look at the blocks before you cherry pick a stat.   1.6 BPG to .7 BPG for Zeller.  Really having him equals the blocked shots of Olynyk and Sullinger together.
Um, or perhaps look at the Opp FG% at the rim before you cherry pick a stat? :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2014, 10:03:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Um, or perhaps look at the Opp FG% at the rim before you cherry pick a stat

I could have posted PER as well as blocks he is better than Zeller there, do you really want to go there?   Because it would not go so well for your argument or snarky comments.

« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2014, 10:04:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Which is not entirely surprising given that he's a guy who has no offensive game other than putbacks and dunks and rebounds like Brandon Bass
  You never seen Bass shoot the mid range?   He is deadly from the left side of the floor.

http://www.bobcatsbaseline.com/2014/bobcats-2014-trade-deadline-scenarios-part-one/brandon-bass-sc/

I think Bass has way better range than Wright.

+1

When he is out with the 1st or 2nd unit, he is usually the only big guy out on the floor.   Put him beside a talented/skilled big guy like KO and Sully and things will balance out for the better