Author Topic: Backup PG will be the hardest to fill  (Read 2628 times)

Backup PG will be the hardest to fill
« on: July 20, 2009, 07:51:33 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
This offseason.  I've always said that.  There are plenty of bigs and wings available to fill out our bench still, but I don't like anything that's left (that the Celtics can afford) on the FA market as far as backup PG's.  What PG's can be had by trade that meet our needs.  The two I came up with are:

1) Antonio Daniels- 6"4 can shoot, doesn't turnover the ball and is experienced, plus he plays for NO that is in dire financial straights and they may not want to pay 6.5 million a year for a guy that will only play at most 10 minutes a game since Chris Paul plays around 40 minutes every game.

2) Luke Ridnour-similar attributes and salary to Daniels and probably not in the teams future plans after having drafted Jennings (though they  may still want him around if the Knicks really do throw the MLE at Sessions and they don't match)

But both these guys are expiring and fit our needs is there anyone else you can see us trading for at backup PG?

Re: Backup PG will be the hardest to fill
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:15:13 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
1) Antonio Daniels- 6"4 can shoot, doesn't turnover the ball and is experienced, plus he plays for NO that is in dire financial straights and they may not want to pay 6.5 million a year for a guy that will only play at most 10 minutes a game since Chris Paul plays around 40 minutes every game.

So why would we "want to pay 6.5 million a year for a guy that will only play at most 10 minutes a game since Rajon Rondo plays around 40 minutes every game"?

But both these guys are expiring and fit our needs is there anyone else you can see us trading for at backup PG?

We won't trade significant salaries for a guy who will play 10 minutes a night. We will sign a veteran guard, for the LLE at most. So it won't be hard at all to fill that role.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:53:13 AM »

Offline Tough Juice

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
blah blah, go sign Bobby Jackson

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Definitely Bobby Jackson. Good defender, Passer, and can hit the 3 or attack the basket.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:36:51 PM »

Offline KingChre

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 21

Definitely Bobby Jackson. Good defender, Passer, and can hit the 3 or attack the basket.

I could not agree more. I think he would fit the team's need to a T. He isn't a traditional pass first point guard, but he brings toughness, veteran presence, and scoring ability off the bench. Get it done Danny.
Looking at my gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 01:51:48 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Anyone know what Bobby is looking for or why nobody has signed him yet?  I haven't followed him the last few season so my last memories of him were his dynamic role as sixth man for sacramento a few years ago.  I can't imagine he's still playing at that level, and I didn't remember him being a defensive guy exactly.  But he seems like the best option left out there.

I had this crazy idea that Danny is still planning on going after a SF and that Daniels will be the primary ball handler for the second unit.  Otherwise I'm not sure how Eddie fits into everything as a 2 guard next to an equally small point guard.  Seems like a big disadvantage from a defensive perspective.  At the same time we need him on the floor since Daniels can't stretch the D with shooting.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 01:56:42 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I disagree with the idea of using our trade chips for a backup pg.  I'd much rather use them in this proposesed S&T for Marqui Daniels, and keep our exception to fill that role.  

With Rondo slated to play 40 mpg, and a guy like House who played backup pg almost exclusivly during our Championship run, and now a guy like Marquis on board who can play some 1, I think we're set.

I can see Rondo staying on the floor when Daniels plays 3, and a back court tandem of House and Daniels out there alongside Pierce when Ray and Rondo take a blow.  I don't think adding another pg is at all crucial.  

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 02:01:23 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Bobby Jackson played 20 min a game last year and averaged 7.5 points and 2.0 assists. His percentages were low, but a dropff is to be expected. Granted it was on an awful Kings team..

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 02:31:55 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Backup pg is easy to fill.  I can think of 4-5 guys who would be adequate or better.

But I'd like a younger guy who could be developed.

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Bring back Marbury.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 06:10:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
you know how many vet pg are and will be looking for jobs when the season starts?? Guys like lindsay hunter will be around

after things clear up my prediction is hudson makes the team. He is just too good of a player not to

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
you know how many vet pg are and will be looking for jobs when the season starts?? Guys like lindsay hunter will be around

after things clear up my prediction is hudson makes the team. He is just too good of a player not to
If he needs major surgery I don't think he will unless Danny pulls a sign and trade to clear roster space.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Why are people so concerned with the backup PG position.

Has the team ever lost games or suffered because of a lack of depth at the 1 spot? I don't think so.