Author Topic: Why the Celtics needs to trade rozier in the off season or Ainge is an idiot  (Read 8649 times)

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
If you deal TR and that’s a big if, you don’t move him for a pick. For the love of sweet geezus this Team is 2 games away from a championship series minus 2 star players.

The hot trade ticket is KATowns. Now that is a deal worth exploring

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Hayward and Kyrie coming off their injuries, you're looking at a minutes split something like this (this is very rough):

Irving (32)/Rozier (16)
Brown (16)/Smart (24)/Rozier (8 )
Hayward (24)/Brown (16)/Tatum (8 )
Tatum (24)/Hayward (8 )/Horford (16)
Horford (14)/Baynes (20)/Theis (14)

So are we trading Marcus Morris, or is he just not getting any minutes at all once Hayward comes back?  Or did you forget about him?

balancing minutes next year is going to be more difficult for Brad.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:06:01 PM by blink »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Hayward and Kyrie coming off their injuries, you're looking at a minutes split something like this (this is very rough):

Irving (32)/Rozier (16)

So are we trading Marcus Morris, or is he just not getting any minutes at all once Hayward comes back?  Or did you forget about him?

Yeah, Morris is going to get at least 20 minutes per game.  And that's not going to come from Hayward, Brown, or Tatum.  It's going to come from the shooting guard position with Brown and Hayward playing more time there.  Smart's a better court mate with Irving than Rozier so I think it's going to be Rozier who loses out on minutes.  Plus, come the playoffs, the starters will play more further limiting Rozier's minutes.  Rozier won't be too happy about that.  I agree with the OP that it makes sense to trade him.

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Not sure what he'll do, but I am certain Danny is not, nor will he suddenly turn into, an idiot.
Yup

Offline Joyride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Danny go all in and package Rozier with a couple solid draft picks to get a big in this years draft.  The team is pretty much complete, except for a high ceiling big, which is available in next month’s draft.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Marcus Smart was an angel last night?

He messed up the momentum on three important occassions
Smart was terrible last night. So was Rozier though, lol. Actually, almost everyone was

Smart was worse. Chucking up 3s like that. Dive pass to nobody

Under the basket pass right to Lebum

Just a wild player for better or for the worse
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:36:53 PM by triboy16f »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Marcus Smart was an angel last night?

He messed up the momentum on three important occassions
Smart was terrible last night. So was Rozier though, lol. Actually, almost everyone was

Rozier lead the team in +/- with a +3.   He had 16 pts, 11 assists, 6 rebounds, and 3 stls.  Shot 40% from field and 33% from 3.  Far from awful.. he actually played well.  That he was bullied in the post by LBJ is on Brad, not him.  Doesn't make him any less of a solid defender.  Just imagine how much worse it couldve been.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
It's not just a question of whether Smart or Rozier is the better player. It is also a question of how much each will command in the free agent market, how much Danny is willing to allocate to the back up point guard slot, what Rozier might bring back in a trade, how their respective skills fit into the team structure. I tend to think trading Rozier is something that makes sense to explore if they can get enough value. I think Smart's impact would be harder to replace, he brings more of a change of pace to Kyrie than Terry. It would be great to keep both, but I'm not sure it's financially feasible. If Danny wants to keep Smart, and doesn't think he will be able to resign Rozier, then it makes sense to explore a trade.

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
If we move rozier in a package we'd need to get Bamba our Bagley but I'd also like to somehow walk away with Jaylan Brunson too.

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
I agree with the sentiment that if we trade Rozier, getting a high pick back isn’t worth the risk of keeping him for a season to contend fot a title next year......unless Danny has already targeted the next Tatum of 2018 draft night.

I think Rozier, SAC pick, and Boston 2018 1st can get us in the top 3-5 range....my question, is it worth the risk? Why not just run it back with T-Roz and if he walks, we have the SAC pick anyway to replace his production the following summer?

If Danny wants to make a talent consolidating trade, a proven young big like Towns is absolutely ideal.

If we can offer another KG-type pupu platter to Minny for KAT, I think it’s a great “all-in” with stacking every tradeable/expendable asset for an all-star.

T-Roz, Morris, SAC pick, Memphis pick for Towns. If we have to throw in a third 1st rounder, so be it.

No one is stopping a top 6 of Irving/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Towns/Tatum.....plus re-signing Smart, it just wouldn’t even be fair.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I wonder how much of Roziers production  Jabari bird can replace, if he’s ready to do so

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Irving (32)/Rozier (16)

Yeah, Morris is going to get at least 20 minutes per game.  And that's not going to come from Hayward, Brown, or Tatum.  It's going to come from the shooting guard position with Brown and Hayward playing more time there.  Smart's a better court mate with Irving than Rozier so I think it's going to be Rozier who loses out on minutes.  Plus, come the playoffs, the starters will play more further limiting Rozier's minutes.  Rozier won't be too happy about that.  I agree with the OP that it makes sense to trade him.

Ya actually putting numbers to it makes it even clearer. Its just gonna be hard to get Rozier minutes. Even not including Morris 24 minutes for Rozier and Smart is less than the typical 30+ they were getting down the stretch this yesr. How happy is a guy who says he wants to start going to be getting 20 minutes a night in a contract year? And if thats all you are gonna play him why not trade him for an asset especially because when playoffs come. He likely loses even more minutes.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Let’s be honest, Any production that rozier makes will be more than made up by the existence of Kyrie and Hayward... and theis will also demand minutes. Jabari bird should be a formidable 3rd stringer and possibly rotation player

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I agree with the sentiment that if we trade Rozier, getting a high pick back isn’t worth the risk of keeping him for a season to contend fot a title next year......unless Danny has already targeted the next Tatum of 2018 draft night.

I think Rozier, SAC pick, and Boston 2018 1st can get us in the top 3-5 range....my question, is it worth the risk? Why not just run it back with T-Roz and if he walks, we have the SAC pick anyway to replace his production the following summer?

If Danny wants to make a talent consolidating trade, a proven young big like Towns is absolutely ideal.

If we can offer another KG-type pupu platter to Minny for KAT, I think it’s a great “all-in” with stacking every tradeable/expendable asset for an all-star.

T-Roz, Morris, SAC pick, Memphis pick for Towns. If we have to throw in a third 1st rounder, so be it.

No one is stopping a top 6 of Irving/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Towns/Tatum.....plus re-signing Smart, it just wouldn’t even be fair.
It would be hilarious if we snagged another star big man from them. First KG, then we come within inches of getting Kevin Love, and now rumours about Towns. They must hate Ainge over there
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

lol at the trade package for KAT
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk