Author Topic: Reinforcements on the way, how much of a difference will they make?  (Read 4952 times)

Re: Reinforcements on the way, how much of a difference will they make?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 06:11:12 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Ohh yeah romeo langford come save our season, then in 3 yrs. you can let us know where you're playing... If you're playing anywhere.
Do you ever get tired of crapping all over Celtics?

Not crapping on anything, I speak truths. I believe langford has a better chance of not being in the league in 3 yrs. than he does at being anything in this league.

But not really the point of what I said. The point was that a romeo langford is not helping this team this season.

When I stop being right I probably won't have anything to say.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 06:17:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ohh yeah romeo langford come save our season, then in 3 yrs. you can let us know where you're playing... If you're playing anywhere.

Not crapping on anything, I speak truths. I believe langford has a better chance of not being in the league in 3 yrs. than he does at being anything in this league.

But not really the point of what I said. The point was that a romeo langford is not helping this team this season.

Cringeworthy amount of ego on display in this post. What have you been right about so far? If you're always correct why aren't you a GM?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2021, 06:18:53 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
it's who he is and what he does.  :(
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 06:42:14 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
If everyone was all rah rah go team, what's the point? When I see bs I call it out. For instance - I think danny did one helluva job accumulating assets and making us flexible to improve the team, really you couldn't ask for anything more out of a gm in the nba.

However, he has failed to assess this team properly the past few seasons. And also failed to maximize those assets. This team should not be involved in player development past tatum and brown.

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2021, 06:47:39 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen

Cringeworthy amount of ego on display in this post. What have you been right about so far? If you're always correct why aren't you a GM?

1st season brad stevens was here I said this team shoots way too many jump shots and way too many bad jump shots for this team to win. And back then we weren't tanking but we weren't worried about losing either so I shook it off and chalked it up to the situation.

Fast forward to today and nothing has changed and it's the reason we get bounced every yr.

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2021, 09:18:46 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

1st season brad stevens was here I said this team shoots way too many jump shots and way too many bad jump shots for this team to win. And back then we weren't tanking but we weren't worried about losing either so I shook it off and chalked it up to the situation.

Fast forward to today and nothing has changed and it's the reason we get bounced every yr.

I have to ask if this is based on some sort of “eye test,” because it doesn’t seem to be based on facts?

You’re not alone of course, it’s an opinion that gets expressed a lot in game threads.

However; and these are just 3 point stats since I am assuming when people whine about too many jump shots that they mean 3 point shots, at least based off game thread comments, the facts say otherwise.

So far this season the Celtics are attempting 32.7 three point shots per game and making 37.8% of them. The league averages 34.9 attempts while making 36.8%. The Celtics are 10th in shooting average, so while above league average, there is room for improvement. They are 21st in attempts. If they are hitting at a rate above the NBA average and 3 point shots are the most efficient, then simple math says they should be shooting more, not less.

Last year (that 3rd trip in 4 to ECF year) they were closer to the middle of the pack. NBA teams averaged 34.1 attempts and the Celtics averaged a bit more at 34.5 which placed them 13 in the league. As a whole NBA teams shot 35.8% and the Celtics were again slightly better at 36.4%.

Since that team made the ECF, for the 3rd time in 4 years, and this team has been struggling at consistency, an argument could be made that they should be attempting more 3 pointers if they want to match or exceed the success of the 2019-20 Celtics.

But that doesn’t fit your narrative.

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2021, 12:35:05 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I'm glad this thread was started. Way too much negativity following our slump.  Recent 4 game win streak has cleared my head and restored my confidence in this team.

I’m not very impressed by the win streak, though the execution at the end of games was at least encouraging. On the other hand the lost games, with a couple of glaring exceptions, were not so different from the narrow victories: mediocre team d, constipated ball movement, unforced turnovers.

Good thing the playoffs don’t start next week.

I believe that Smart and Langford will both add much needed depth in our lineup.  Langford projects as a 6th or 7th man, and Smart is a starter.   Guys like Semi and Grant will have a role they can handle better--back up help on the bench, rather than first guys up.

Unlikely. Romeo becoming 7th man is not going to happen. 6th man is a pipe dream. TT and Pritchard are key rotation players at this point; Romie isn’t displacing either of them. TL has been making his case. Semi plays a unique role that Langford can’t. So tenth man might be attainable, assuming that Smart’s return zeroes out Teague’s minutes.

Romeo’s main competitor is Nesmith, who is not in the rotation at the moment, but who has shown encouraging signs in the minutes he’s gotten. Shooting isn’t everything, but Nesmith is going to be much better at it than Langford.

I don't want to give up Romeo, Nesmith, Pritchard, or Rob W.  I think all of those guys can have really good roles for us in the future.

I think Romeo or Aaron, but not both. I’m pretty high on Romeo’s future - but I’d predict it’s somewhere else.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2021, 09:59:03 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Looking at the last few games where BS took a more playoff like rotation.

In those 3 games Teague played roughly 21mpg and Kemba 34mpg. I suspect Smart takes Teague right out of the rotation and brings Kemba below 30mpg. Coming of a pretty significant injury I suspect Smart will have a minutes restriction that fits nicely in those minutes. Smart added creation to go along with his infectious intensity will really lift this team up.

I expect Romeo to be thrust right into minutes and be given the opportunity to establish himself a consistent role. While they are all very different players Langford, Semi, Grant, and Nesmith are all likely to be battling for the some spot in the rotation. This could prove some what match-up depended with Semi getting special defensive assignments. The ideal for the Cs is that Langford comes right in playing defense like he did at the end of last season while taping into the offensive potential he showed in AAU and college.   

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2021, 11:36:30 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen

I have to ask if this is based on some sort of “eye test,” because it doesn’t seem to be based on facts?

You’re not alone of course, it’s an opinion that gets expressed a lot in game threads.

However; and these are just 3 point stats since I am assuming when people whine about too many jump shots that they mean 3 point shots, at least based off game thread comments, the facts say otherwise.

So far this season the Celtics are attempting 32.7 three point shots per game and making 37.8% of them. The league averages 34.9 attempts while making 36.8%. The Celtics are 10th in shooting average, so while above league average, there is room for improvement. They are 21st in attempts. If they are hitting at a rate above the NBA average and 3 point shots are the most efficient, then simple math says they should be shooting more, not less.

Last year (that 3rd trip in 4 to ECF year) they were closer to the middle of the pack. NBA teams averaged 34.1 attempts and the Celtics averaged a bit more at 34.5 which placed them 13 in the league. As a whole NBA teams shot 35.8% and the Celtics were again slightly better at 36.4%.

Since that team made the ECF, for the 3rd time in 4 years, and this team has been struggling at consistency, an argument could be made that they should be attempting more 3 pointers if they want to match or exceed the success of the 2019-20 Celtics.

But that doesn’t fit your narrative.

All it takes is an elimination game  and the bad shots we take to not fall. That's our playoff history under brad.

All his offensive philosophy has shown it can be successful at is to win a lot of games.

The "eye test" tells us if they worked for easy baskets or at least got  to the ft line there's a pretty decent chance they go on to beat the Cavs that yr.

Instead the bombs away approach shot us right out of it and the game was over

I think it was AB's final season here we probably weren't going to beat ATL that yr. but the game we got eliminated - bombs away...

And no it's not just 3's. Stevens' 1st season here was the worst of all of em. There were numerous times that season with us pulling up to shoot contested 2's with 20 secs. on the shot clock.

That crap still continues to this day. Not quite as bad as that 1st season but those pull up contested 2's are available anytime we want em, and we could get anybody to be coach if those are the shots we're going to work for.

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2021, 11:40:49 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Get james young

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2021, 12:11:42 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm still pro Romeo.  I haven't given up hope yet.  There have been other players come into the league, have a couple early injuries, but still turn their career around. 
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2021, 12:35:09 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'm glad this thread was started. Way too much negativity following our slump.  Recent 4 game win streak has cleared my head and restored my confidence in this team.

I’m not very impressed by the win streak, though the execution at the end of games was at least encouraging. On the other hand the lost games, with a couple of glaring exceptions, were not so different from the narrow victories: mediocre team d, constipated ball movement, unforced turnovers.

Good thing the playoffs don’t start next week.

I believe that Smart and Langford will both add much needed depth in our lineup.  Langford projects as a 6th or 7th man, and Smart is a starter.   Guys like Semi and Grant will have a role they can handle better--back up help on the bench, rather than first guys up.

Unlikely. Romeo becoming 7th man is not going to happen. 6th man is a pipe dream. TT and Pritchard are key rotation players at this point; Romie isn’t displacing either of them. TL has been making his case. Semi plays a unique role that Langford can’t. So tenth man might be attainable, assuming that Smart’s return zeroes out Teague’s minutes.

Romeo’s main competitor is Nesmith, who is not in the rotation at the moment, but who has shown encouraging signs in the minutes he’s gotten. Shooting isn’t everything, but Nesmith is going to be much better at it than Langford.

I don't want to give up Romeo, Nesmith, Pritchard, or Rob W.  I think all of those guys can have really good roles for us in the future.

I think Romeo or Aaron, but not both. I’m pretty high on Romeo’s future - but I’d predict it’s somewhere else.

I wouldn’t completely write off keeping both in the future just yet.  If they both improve substantially over the next couple years you could see more of 3 wing lineups like when Hayward was around, or dare I say 4 wings in a big (especially if Walker isn’t here beyond the end of his current contract).

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2021, 01:19:08 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

So ... Isaiah Thomas having to drop out of the playoffs because of injury caused by getting rolled over by KAT had nothing to do with getting bounced in 2017, right?   It was because we took too many jump shots?

And Hayward getting his foot blown apart and Kyrie's knee needing surgery had nothing to do with why the team got bounced in 2018, right?  It was because we took too many jump shots?

And Kyrie's personal how-to-throw-a-series-and-burn-every-bridge-on-the-way-out-of-town clinic had nothing to do with getting bounced in 2019, right?   It was because we took too many jump shots?

And Gordon Hayward landing on Theis' foot and injuring his _other_ ankle had nothing to do with why we got bounced this last year, right?   It was because we took too many jump shots?

Got it.   Aces.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2021, 01:25:42 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen

So ... Isaiah Thomas having to drop out of the playoffs because of injury caused by getting rolled over by KAT had nothing to do with getting bounced in 2017, right?   It was because we took too many jump shots?

And Hayward getting his foot blown apart and Kyrie's knee needing surgery had nothing to do with why the team got bounced in 2018, right?  It was because we took too many jump shots?

And Kyrie's personal how-to-throw-a-series-and-burn-every-bridge-on-the-way-out-of-town clinic had nothing to do with getting bounced in 2019, right?   It was because we took too many jump shots?

And Gordon Hayward landing on Theis' foot and injuring his _other_ ankle had nothing to do with why we got bounced this last year, right?   It was because we took too many jump shots?

Got it.   Aces.

Uhh if we played with better discipline and pulled off wins in some of those scenarios I'm sure you guys would be crying about injuries.

Some of those situations you mentioned we were able to win without those players. Injuries are part of the game man, it matters how you play the game.

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2021, 01:56:40 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Got it.   Aces.

Uhh if we played with better discipline and pulled off wins in some of those scenarios I'm sure you guys would be crying about injuries.

Some of those situations you mentioned we were able to win without those players. Injuries are part of the game man, it matters how you play the game.

Brilliant.   So all talent in the NBA is equal.  Minutes for an MVP-candidate Isaiah Thomas were replaceable with more minutes from Avery Bradley, young Marcus Smart & rookie Terry Rozier.   Minutes for Gordon Hayward could be replaced with minutes from Semi Ojeleye, Grant Williams & Brad Wanamaker.   

Those teams still should have been just as good.  If only they hadn't taken as many jump shots.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.