Author Topic: Celtics trade for David Lee  (Read 83021 times)

Re: Celtics trade for David Lee
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2015, 04:09:41 PM »

Offline emajic1

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
Well that is disappointing.

Don't we have enough problems finding minutes for Sullinger and Olynyk with Amir, Ty Zeller and Jerebko already on board?

Do we really need to add a PF who is going to complicate that even further?

Remember, this is not a team.

It's just an amorphous pile of assets that nobody wants.

Can't tell if this is sarcasm, don't think it is going by the general negative tone on the boards as of late, but the reason the Celtics made the playoffs last year was because they gelled as a team and played greater than the sum of its parts. Too much emphasis is placed on slotting positions instead of identifying skillsets and player combinations that maximize the talent we do have.

TP. You said it better than I could.

See: Who's post about giving starting time to two veteran players with no future here at the expense of younger guys.
pho, they pegged your post perfectly. if you dont like such comments then post better. you are clearly one of the best posters here and should live up to your abilities. you are better than someone who can only post negative, one line snark that is not accurate. such posts deaden cb with negativism, and hides your abilities when it should help us all enjoy being here and learn more about basketball.

you need to do better.
Agreed. And is the development of Sully and Olynyk moving the needle much for this team anyway?

KeepRondo, thanks for this, I was thinking along a similar line when considering downsides of the move.  I've concluded it's a relatively low cost for the talent upgrade.  Great deal, imo. 

« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2015, 04:10:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Did the folks that don't like this deal watch the NBA finals. GSW was pretty toast until Steve Kerr remembered that he had David Lee on the bench.

I like you better when you're ranting about Doc Rivers than when you try to talk basketball.

Kerr's game winning adjustment was taking out Bogut. Addition by Subtraction. The Cavaliers didn't have a big that was worth defending, so they didn't need a big who could defend.

Glad you realize Doc Rivers talk is not basketball talk. I see what a wonderful job he is doing with the Clippers after orchestrating the dismissal of the ownership that brought him in.

« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2015, 04:10:42 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
I tried david lee for wallace in the espn trade machine and it failed?

Try including Pressey, that's probably what will happen.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2015, 04:11:59 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
So we will likely start Lee and Amir? Yikes what a bad offseason.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2015, 04:12:56 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Did the folks that don't like this deal watch the NBA finals. GSW was pretty toast until Steve Kerr remembered that he had David Lee on the bench.

I like you better when you're ranting about Doc Rivers than when you try to talk basketball.

Kerr's game winning adjustment was taking out Bogut. Addition by Subtraction. The Cavaliers didn't have a big that was worth defending, so they didn't need a big who could defend.

Glad you realize Doc Rivers talk is not basketball talk. I see what a wonderful job he is doing with the Clippers after orchestrating the dismissal of the ownership that brought him in.

Are you trying to make D.O.S. revise his opinion?

« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2015, 04:14:32 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
This one is a head scratcher.  Maybe the celtics can turn Lee into something.   He equalled Gerald Wallace though.

Reading comments and tweets from non-celtic fans and they seem to think we won (albeit not a huge win). What I saw was:
- People didn't realize Wallace still played
- Lee CAN play if given the minutes
- GSW fans think they could've gotten more in return, even a pick (ok)
- Clippers, Cavs, Phoenix fans wondering why they didn't trade for him

Not saying we hit a home run but we didn't do anything bad either.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2015, 04:14:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

pho, they pegged your post perfectly. if you dont like such comments then post better. you are clearly one of the best posters here and should live up to your abilities. you are better than someone who can only post negative, one line snark that is not accurate. such posts deaden cb with negativism, and hides your abilities when it should help us all enjoy being here and learn more about basketball.

you need to do better.

I'll do better coach!

But enlighten me, what about the responses "pegged" my post?  The vague thing about targeting skillsets to gel together?  Are we ignoring that you can't really "gel together" 4 guys who play the same position, none of whom can defend the paint a whit?

There are obvious reasons for trading for David Lee.  But none of them has all that much to do with making the team better except by the slightest of margins.  Lee is more productive offensively and worse defensively than the two defensively challenged power forwards we were already playing there, and he's most of a decade older.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2015, 04:15:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Are you trying to make D.O.S. revise his opinion?

My opinion on Doc? Or my opinion on what Golden State did to win the championship series? Doc isn't relevant, really: the point is that Ogaju is misinterpreting what Kerr did and overstating Lee's importance in the equation.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2015, 04:16:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
How soon can Danny trade Lee?

« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2015, 04:16:14 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
This one is a head scratcher.  Maybe the celtics can turn Lee into something.   He equalled Gerald Wallace though.

Reading comments and tweets from non-celtic fans and they seem to think we won (albeit not a huge win). What I saw was:
- People didn't realize Wallace still played
- Lee CAN play if given the minutes
- GSW fans think they could've gotten more in return, even a pick (ok)
- Clippers, Cavs, Phoenix fans wondering why they didn't trade for him

Not saying we hit a home run but we didn't do anything bad either.

I can understand the talent upgrade.  That's saying Lee is going to contribute and get back to something near his former  self though.  Watching him in the finals he doesn't seem to have lost much.  He just didn't play lol. If we can turn these assets into something actually good though or is David Lee it?

« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2015, 04:16:21 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
David Lee is a great offensive pick and roll player, he rebounds well, and runs the floor great. Plus, he brings championship experience. I give this an A+.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Tomorrow, if Ainge isn't aggregating (combining) salary with Lee's.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I would love to see some prospective trades that work with Lee's contract that would not have worked with Wallace's deal, by the way. That is very interesting to me and, I assume, many other fans.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2015, 04:19:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Tomorrow, if Ainge isn't aggregating (combining) salary with Lee's.

Are picks ok?

« Reply #179 on: July 07, 2015, 04:19:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So we're swapping:

* virtually identical contracts
* small for big
* someone who can't play for someone who can

This trade cannot be bad.

When he got 20+ minutes last season, Lee averaged 10 and 6. That's not too shabby.

... also, Tommy loves Lee... somewhat.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."