Author Topic: what is up with Sullinger? stop shooting the 3  (Read 9700 times)

Re: what is up with Sullinger? stop shooting the 3
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 12:56:39 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I don't know about you guys, but I as an NBA fan on the internet absolutely can't get enough of comparing people to Boris Diaw.

On the topic, though, I'm starting to sense a sea change. I know it seems like he's taking a lot of threes, but this month he's actually been taking one less per game, on average, then he was in January. The team is winning a little bit, which I didn't take seriously when the opponents were Philadelphia, Denver, or New York, but after that effort against Atlanta I might just.

A Celtics team that is playing to win instead of playing to develop is going to do a few things differently. (1) it's going to push the pace less, (2) it's going to play more aggressive perimeter defense, (3) it's going to rely heavily on Tayshaun Prince, (4) it's going to bench Phil Pressey, and (5) it's going reign in the Sullinger 3-pointer. We saw all of those things last night, and I think that if we are trying in earnest to make the playoffs we will continue to.

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 01:46:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Becoming a reliable spot up shooter from outside is Sullinger's best shot at sticking around in this league.  Otherwise he's a "3 out" power forward, which really limits his usefulness since he lacks the physical talent or size to be dominant in that role.

Recent wins notwithstanding, I still think the primary goal for this team is developing the younger guys so that they have value to other teams i.e. they present as versatile players with a long term future in the league.

Hence, it's important for Sullinger to keep developing his outside shot.  Same for Smart and KO.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2015, 01:59:29 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I just wish he would stop taking the 3 early in the clock. Sometimes he takes it with 18-19 seconds on the clock.
The team had no chance to probe the paint, or look for a better shot. He just fires away.