Author Topic: It's hilarious how the fanbase has turned 180 and would "rather have" Wallace  (Read 25764 times)

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
Do people really think that if we make the playoffs again with a win total in the 40s -- and maybe win a game this time! -- that big name free agents will suddenly be clamoring to sign here?
No, but you can't deny that it would probably make our chances better compared to if we finished last in the East ::)

This is not a -------------> line.
This is a <--------------->

If you finish last in the East, you get a really good shot at the top pick in the draft.
Thanks. I think we all know that.
I just pointed out that finishing higher than last would improve our chances with the big name free agents.

This team just lost out on a player who chose the Bucks.  Are you saying that a two game difference (40-42 v. 42-40) would have made the difference?

Y'all need to come to reality.
Boston was never in play for Monroe.
4 teams wanted Monroe; Lakers, Blazers, Knicks and Bucks.

So shortly: We will never know the answer to a scenario where Monroe had to choose between Bucks and Celtics :)!
But if the Celtics had a better record than the Bucks he could have most likely ended up here (If we pursued him). His agent said he chose the Bucks because they had a better chance of making the playoffs.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/6/29/8860787/celtics-plan-to-meet-with-greg-monroe-and-other-free-agents

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I like how one opinion can be conflated to "everyone"/"the fanbase"  ::)

David Lee sucks. Has nothing to do with Wallace, IMO, beyond the fact that I'd rather cheer for Wallace as our best cheerleader than Lee as our best player.

If David Lee sucks then what does that say about Wallace?!?!  Even if Lee was worse than Wallace (who never played), the deal is worth it for the additional cap space at the end of the year.   I don't understand your logic.

Wallace on the bench is more of a positive contribution to the Celtics than Lee playing 20-40 minutes per game. I don't know if you're familiar with addition by subtraction, but the inverse is a real thing too.

Pho, per usual, types faster than me and makes the point better.

Although it's possible that Lee will spur on the rebirth of post play in the Garden as opposing teams get the ball down low against him night after night.

How do you know this?  You know for a fact that Wallace is a better influence in the locker-room than Lee??  This is clearly making stuff up just to have a differing opinion with no facts to back up your stance.  Keep reaching...trying to convince yourself that it's a bad deal.   
Where did I say anything about the locker room?

Are you mentally handicapped? I can explain myself more if that's the case, because you're clearly not understanding what I said there.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I got one reply: Gordon Hayward. Excuse me if I'm not messing my jeans over prospect of being able to trade for the pride of Utah.

That got an actual LOL out of me.
;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Do people really think that if we make the playoffs again with a win total in the 40s -- and maybe win a game this time! -- that big name free agents will suddenly be clamoring to sign here?
No, but you can't deny that it would probably make our chances better compared to if we finished last in the East ::)

If you finish last in the East, you get a really good shot at the top pick in the draft.
I just pointed out that finishing higher than last would improve our chances with the big name free agents.

This team just lost out on a player who chose the Bucks.  Are you saying that a two game difference (40-42 v. 42-40) would have made the difference?

Boston never was in play for Monroe.

So shortly: We will never know the answer to a scenario where Monroe had to chose between Bucks and Celtics :)!
But if the Celtics had a better record than the Bucks he could have most likely ended up here (If we pursued him). His agent said he chose the Bucks because they had a better chance of making the playoffs.

BS!!!!

Which team looks like a better situation to you

Smart
Bradley
Turner
Sully

or

Carter Williams
Middleton
Giannis
Jabari Parker

It is not a hard choice
True. Everybody would choose Boston :)

Lol but seriously... I would say the squads (with the players mentioned above) are pretty even for NOW.
Michael Carter Williams put up huge numbers on a bad team. The guy hasn't even proved anything yet.
Giannis isn't even that good right now (I'm not saying he will be bad in the future). Kelly is putting up better numbers Per 36.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

It sounds like you are describing Kevin Love too.  Love put up great offensive numbers while sucking on defensively on a bad team.  I'm not saying that Lee is as good as Love, but Lee is similar and comes with literally no risk.  If he sucks, he's gone and you get the cap space.

As I understand it, D.o.s. also thinks Love sucks.

Lee doesn't even provide the floor spacing Love does.

And that's why Lee doesn't have the contract that Love does.  He's not as good.  That being said, he's worth a 1 year rental for GERALD WALLACE!!!!  I honestly don't understant how anyone has a problem with this trade.  Danny made the Celtics BETTER NOW and NEXT YEAR.  People can debate the value of expiring contracts but $15 mil is more valuable than $10 mil.  That's simple economics.

The problem is not with Lee as an expiring contract: the problem is with having to watch David Lee play basketball as we grind our way to another 40-ish win season and a four and out.

I think the $5 million difference is minimal: I asked what trades would be possible with Lee that weren't with Wallace earlier. I got one reply: Gordon Hayward. Excuse me if I'm not messing my jeans over prospect of being able to trade for the pride of Utah.

Expiring deals are only good if there's a deal to be made. Amar'e was a $20 million expiring... how'd that pan out?

Also I definitely think Kevin Love sucks. Good player who puts up numbers on bad teams and then gets paid like he can contribute on an equal level to a good team. Just like David Lee, tbh. I don't like either of them as players.

ugh i HATE when I mess my jeans.

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green

So shortly: We will never know the answer to a scenario where Monroe had to choose between Bucks and Celtics :)!

http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/6/29/8860787/celtics-plan-to-meet-with-greg-monroe-and-other-free-agents
You can't even prove that they did meet as we probably would have heard something about the meeting if they did meet.
Danny didn't make an offer so Monroe never had the chance to weigh the scenarios of joining Celtics or Bucks.
Ramona Shelburne: Monroe’s agent David Falk tells @Chris Broussard “All four teams we met with offered the max for 1, 2, 3 or 4 years – whatever we wanted.”
Furthermore his agent only mentioned 4 teams - Knicks, Blazers, Bucks and Lakers..
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

So shortly: We will never know the answer to a scenario where Monroe had to chose between Bucks and Celtics :)!

BS!!!!

Smart
Bradley
Turner
Sully

or

Carter Williams
Middleton
Giannis
Jabari Parker

It is not a hard choice

Lol but seriously... I would say the squads (with the players mentioned above) are pretty even for NOW.
Michael Carter Williams put up huge numbers on a bad team. The guy hasn't even proved anything yet.
Giannis isn't even that good right now (I'm not saying he will be bad in the future). Kelly is putting up better numbers Per 36.

So the Lakers, with their tanking and their #3 pick and Julius Randle, managed to sign which big name free agents after putting up a losing record last season? Shows you how effective that strategy is, especially considering they are a more attractive market for free agents in general than most cities.

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Sullinger and olynyk are not better assets than Lee's 15.4 expiring sorry.

Sullinger is perennially  overweight and injured, olynyk is not even starting quality.
Lee is injury-prone and not starting quality and he's 8 years older than these guys. It's not like we added an expiring. We moved an expiring for another one.

You may not believe in Sully and Olynyk as players for this team, but that doesn't mean you should kill their value for someone that Golden State has repeatedly tried and failed to move for any legitimate asset.

What's it going to take for you to realize Sully and Olynyk are not as good as you think they are. Sully's conditioning is always an issue and Olynyk lacks aggressiveness, looks clueless most of the time on the floor, can't defend and is an inconsistent shooter.

Are we watching two different games?

I am high on Jelly Sullynyk. (As am I with most of our young guns.) I see scenarios where they could be considered our future. I think they can coexist. I think there's value in keeping them.

I cannot bring myself to harp on this move. Making something out of nothing is so cool. Making Jelly Sullynyk "less indispensable" gives us flexibility.

I like the flexibility. In a roster that's not championship bound in the foreseeable future, I'd rather have flexibility, than bank on one or two players and have a roster that cannot change. The less flexibility the team has, the more possible the team turns into a festering mess.

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
I'm struggling to think of a negative to this trade.  We just traded a benchwarmer for a starter.  We traded a non-asset for an asset.  If Lee is still good, you trade him before the deadline to a team that thinks it can make a run - there are always teams looking for bigs around the deadline, and Lee will be particularly attractive because he's an expiring contract that won't burden them in future years.  If it turns out that he's actually over the hill and can't handle a starter's minutes anymore (or is a net negative) then you let him expire - in that case, he's most likely gotten us no further away from the lottery. 

The only potential poor outcome here is that he plays well and for some reason we keep him past the deadline to make a short foray into the playoffs.  But honestly I don't see that happening.  Danny is too fond of moving pieces around to go that direction, lol. 

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I am high on Jelly Sullynyk.

This thread was worth it just for the portmanteau.

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19

BS!!!!

Smart
Bradley
Turner
Sully

or

Carter Williams
Middleton
Giannis
Jabari Parker

It is not a hard choice

Are you serious?!?!
MCW vs Marcus is the only player matchup that swings our way all of the other players are far superior and have much higher potential!!!

You can ask almost any Celtics...hell any basketball fan in the world if they had to choose between our 4 starters or their 4 starters they would laugh hysterically while screaming for the Bucks players!!

Can we stop overvaluing our players please!!! X)) hahaha

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
We had trouble rebounding and scoring...so this is a big upgrade on both those fronts. Also, doesn't look like it cost us an asset, and Lee is expiring. I don't see how this isn't a big win for us (and GS as well, b/c they need to cut payroll and can do so w/ stretching Wallace)

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

You can't even prove that they did meet.
Danny didn't make an offer so Monroe never had the chance to weigh the scenarios of joining Celtics or Bucks.
Ramona Shelburne: Monroe’s agent David Falk tells @Chris Broussard “All four teams we met with offered the max for 1, 2, 3 or 4 years – whatever we wanted.”
Furthermore his agent only mentioned 4 teams - Knicks, Blazers, Bucks and Lakers..

I never made a claim that Boston and Monroe met.  You claimed Boston was never in play for Monroe.  I demonstrated that, at least according to reports, your position is incorrect.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
We had trouble rebounding and scoring...so this is a big upgrade on both those fronts. Also, doesn't look like it cost us an asset, and Lee is expiring. I don't see how this isn't a big win for us (and GS as well, b/c they need to cut payroll and can do so w/ stretching Wallace)

David Lee does not help his team rebound. David Lee gets rebounds. Those are two different things -- and one does not influence the other.

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280