Author Topic: Time for Doc to go.  (Read 33005 times)

Re: Time for Doc to go.
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think doc deserves about 10% of the blame with our poor start.  Yeah he could have managed his rotations better.  but cmon, it comes down to our players.

RR, PP, KG have played pretty well, pretty consistent. 
Everyone else, no they haven't.  Bass, Terry, Jeff Green, Jet, C Lee...all have been disappointments to some degree.

add that to losing darko, who we thought might actually help leaves us really thin in players that consistently make a significant contribution.  I think Sully is the only player other than the big 3 who has exceeded my expectations for the season.

So to sum up, you have two old guys PP/KG who are still great but are showing their age, one superb point guard and then the drop off is pretty big.  Doc has no control over that.

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2012, 10:50:44 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I think doc deserves about 10% of the blame with our poor start.  Yeah he could have managed his rotations better.  but cmon, it comes down to our players.

Everyone else, no they haven't.  Bass, Terry, Jeff Green, Jet, C Lee...all have been disappointments to some degree.

add that to losing darko, who we thought might actually help leaves us really thin in players that consistently make a significant contribution.  I think Sully is the only player other than the big 3 who has exceeded my expectations for the season.

So to sum up, you have two old guys PP/KG who are still great but are showing their age, one superb point guard and then the drop off is pretty big.  Doc has no control over that.

Not sure how Darko could have helped since he never got off the bench. I would put a lot more than 10 percent on Doc. Trying to force feed a system that worked for the old Celtics simply isn't going to get it done. Trying to make Jason Terry play like Ray Allen isn't going to get it done. Playing extreme small ball isn't going to get it done. And so on.

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2012, 10:52:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Doc should have had the Guard drivng into the paint and attacking ... the Celtics built the ULTIMATE brick house tonight.  ....

When your best players aren't hitting , Ie KG and JET , the DOC needs to direct the offense into the paint.... every play , to at least get fouls to tread water , till the teams jumper returns

Maybe DOc needs to REWATCH his coaching on TV and SEE ALL the poor coaching he did.

He really sucked tonight.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 10:57:48 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Outchoached with lesser players

see.... Mboute Matute or however you write his name
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120

Sorry your wrong. These same players with Jerry Sloan or Jeff Van Gundy would be second or third in the East.

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2012, 10:55:38 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
So you are saying it is Doc's fault that Darko left?  I don't think that is the case.

Doc is dealing with the players that he was given.  It isn't Doc's fault that we don't have a good def big to protect the paint.  It isn't completely Doc's fault when KG / Jet shoot 7/35.  Doc isn't faultless, but to me most of this is on the players.  We just don't have that talented of a team.  And what talent we do have is over the hill and needs help to win consistently.

We might get better as the season goes on, I really hope so.

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
So you are saying it is Doc's fault that Darko left?  I don't think that is the case.

Doc is dealing with the players that he was given.  It isn't Doc's fault that we don't have a good def big to protect the paint.  It isn't completely Doc's fault when KG / Jet shoot 7/35.  Doc isn't faultless, but to me most of this is on the players.  We just don't have that talented of a team.  And what talent we do have is over the hill and needs help to win consistently.

No, I am saying Darko never got off the bench when he was here, so why would anyone think he was going to help the team?

« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2012, 10:57:55 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
They only way whe could know if another coach can do better with this team is...................

Nice to be back!

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2012, 10:58:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Sorry your wrong. These same players with Jerry Sloan or Jeff Van Gundy would be second or third in the East.

And how do you know that?  KG / PP wouldn't even have came back to play for either of those coaches.  What makes you think that our roster would be better off with another coach?  Just because you say something doesn't make it automatically true.

Everyone on this board has such a short memory.  Last year everyone was singing doc's praises.  I personally feel this is more on the players.  Just like any other pro sport. 

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2012, 11:00:17 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

No, I am saying Darko never got off the bench when he was here, so why would anyone think he was going to help the team?

Well I was saying it within the context of one less big to help out.  Darko was better than Collins, but we have no idea what the real story is for why he left, or why he wasn't getting pt.

« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2012, 11:01:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Outchoached with lesser players

Thats it ... Doc didn't make the necessary moves to right the ship during the game,  heck even my zero IQ BBall wife ,  says ....WHAT is RIVERS doing...?   I could n't say anything , I was steaming mad and frustrated ..well I ... I flipped it off and watch something more important "ANCIENT ALIENS"

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2012, 11:01:45 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

When he played preseason overseas he played well. We will never get to see him and KG together. Unless we make a trade he was the best option at Center.

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

And how do you know that?  KG / PP wouldn't even have came back to play for either of those coaches.  What makes you think that our roster would be better off with another coach?  Just because you say something doesn't make it automatically true.

Everyone on this board has such a short memory.  Last year everyone was singing doc's praises.  I personally feel this is more on the players.  Just like any other pro sport.

"KG / PP wouldn't even have came back to play for either of those coaches"  "Just because you say something doesn't make it automatically true."

« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think it's going too far to say that Doc is a very good manager of talent, and he's great at drawing up plays, but he's far from the best when it comes to adjusting his system and his gameplan when his roster calls for it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2012, 11:06:29 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
At least I have my soul clear.I ve never as in never, been a Doc Rivers with more than 8 players fan.
He seems to manage rotations as good as I manage learning and writing proper english

Nice to be back!