Author Topic: Thunder (39-24) at Celtics (42-20) Game #63 3/8/20  (Read 23157 times)

Re: Thunder (39-24) at Celtics (42-20) Game #63 3/8/20
« Reply #180 on: March 08, 2020, 09:36:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not sure how it's Brad's fault when late in the game, 2 of our stars miss point blank layups, the refs call a bad foul on Tatum to put Adams on the line, the team allows Paul to get an offensive rebound, Kemba makes a boneheaded turnover to give up the winning bucket and then OKC plays great defense and Tatum misss the last shot.

How any of those losing plays by players on the floor late in the game by star players is Stevens fault is beyond me.......

Unless of course you just have a Stevens agenda.

This loss is all on this team's best players playing poorly late.

Some ofthe fans on Liberty Ballers mention that it is absurd that our fans blame Brad after every loss. And I agree. The coach can only do so much if the players esp your best ones, plays poorly.

I think we talked about this last year, most teams would love to have Brad Stevens if he was available as a coach. Like, who would we replace him with who would be better and available? Fizdale? Atkinson? Stan Van Gundy? I remember some people suggesting they wanted a demonstrative coach, someone who would jump up and down on the sideline, because at least that coach would look like he cared, and would be like the fans at home jumping up and down in front of their couch. Maybe we could replace Brad with Thibodeau? I'm sure he'd get the whip out.

I'm not for replacing Brad at all, but if for some reason he was let go at the end of the season, Kenny Atkinson would be a satisfactory replacement - he is much better than the other options you listed.

« Reply #181 on: March 08, 2020, 09:39:48 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
This Kemba knee situation has doomed the team IMO. Needed a bench upgrade and Ainge didn’t do it. 4 straight L’s coming up.

« Reply #182 on: March 08, 2020, 09:42:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kenny Atkinson to replace Brad Stevens?

Everyone realizes that Kenny Atkinson is just Brad Stevens without the success, right? If you don't like Stevens, you probably are going to hate Atkinson.

« Reply #183 on: March 08, 2020, 09:47:22 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214

Everyone realizes that Kenny Atkinson is just Brad Stevens without the success, right? If you don't like Stevens, you probably are going to hate Atkinson.

It wouldn't matter even if Red was coaching. You lose a game, heads must roll.

« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2020, 09:49:52 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
This Kemba knee situation has doomed the team IMO. Needed a bench upgrade and Ainge didn’t do it. 4 straight L’s coming up.

I can't wait for the Celtics to go on a win streak and then all of a sudden it's championship asperations again! :D

« Reply #185 on: March 08, 2020, 09:50:17 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

It wouldn't matter even if Red was coaching. You lose a game, heads must roll.

I'd say it's time to trade Tatum. ;)

« Reply #186 on: March 08, 2020, 09:55:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tatum was minus 16, Smart minus 14, Hayward plus 13.

Tatum and Smart have to get Hayward the ball more when he's feeling it like tonight. Not only is he more efficient offensively, he makes plays for others.  Tatum's court vision is getting better, but tonight was pretty bad. 

« Reply #187 on: March 08, 2020, 10:09:58 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
This team is in trouble, folks. Reminding me of the dark Kyrie Irving Celtics days post-ASB.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #188 on: March 08, 2020, 10:12:25 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!

I can't wait for the Celtics to go on a win streak and then all of a sudden it's championship asperations again! :D

I wouldn’t be surprised if Kemba needs surgery so you won’t be hearing that from me.

« Reply #189 on: March 08, 2020, 10:18:43 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Not sure how it's Brad's fault when late in the game, 2 of our stars miss point blank layups, the refs call a bad foul on Tatum to put Adams on the line, the team allows Paul to get an offensive rebound, Kemba makes a boneheaded turnover to give up the winning bucket and then OKC plays great defense and Tatum misss the last shot.

How any of those losing plays by players on the floor late in the game by star players is Stevens fault is beyond me.......

Perhaps you can point to where I said any of these things were Brad's fault? You can't, because I never said that. You're just making a strawman and avoiding the real argument.

It absolutely was a mistake for Brad not to call a timeout there. You ALWAYS call a timeout and advance the ball there to avoid THAT VERY SITUATION occurring, because you're right there at our basket and there's no defender there to stop them. That's NBA basketball 101 for coaches and absolutely how you utilize the advance rule there. Bar none. We had no reason to save that timeout in that situation. Nada.
Did I say you said it was Brad's fault those things happened? No!

I said I don't see how someone could blame Brad for the loss because the players lost the game with the actions I mentioned.

At least try to get your goal post moving comments right.

Lol oh come on, Nick. Everyone on this blog and their mother knew you were (rightly) referring to my posts and argument, as I'm clearly the one making the most vocal and strongest arguments critiquing Brad. At least own it if you're going to make that critique!

And  ::) at the last comment - that's not even the logical fallacy I was accusing you of. Your post was clearly a strawman fallacy, because whether explicitly targeting my argument or only implicitly, you misrepresented my argument to be easier to defeat - aka the strawman.

« Reply #190 on: March 08, 2020, 10:19:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Perhaps you can point to where I said any of these things were Brad's fault? You can't, because I never said that. You're just making a strawman and avoiding the real argument.

It absolutely was a mistake for Brad not to call a timeout there. You ALWAYS call a timeout and advance the ball there to avoid THAT VERY SITUATION occurring, because you're right there at our basket and there's no defender there to stop them. That's NBA basketball 101 for coaches and absolutely how you utilize the advance rule there. Bar none. We had no reason to save that timeout in that situation. Nada.

I said I don't see how someone could blame Brad for the loss because the players lost the game with the actions I mentioned.

Lol oh come on, Nick. Everyone on this blog and their mother knew you were (rightly) referring to my posts and argument, as I'm clearly the one making the most vocal and strongest arguments critiquing Brad. At least own it if you're going to make that critique!

And  ::) at the last comment - that's not even the logical fallacy I was accusing you of. Your post was clearly a strawman fallacy, because whether explicitly targeting my argument or only implicitly, you misrepresented my argument to be easier to defeat - aka the strawman.
Certainly vocal, but tonight there’s no strength to them at all
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #191 on: March 08, 2020, 10:33:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Certainly vocal, but tonight there’s no strength to them at all

Agree to disagree, man. TP to ya for the discussion.

« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2020, 10:45:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
watched the game tonight on tape delay.

what a crap way to close out a game.  it was theirs for the taking. from missing layups, FTs and the horrific TO by Kemba to give up the winning basket for OKC was just a completely inexcusable meltdown.  how do we not come up with an inbounds play that allows the receiving player some room to move with the ball instead of getting turned towards the C's basket and doubleteamed?  just an awful way to lose.  team is looking far to ragged in the last several games -- healthy or not.

« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Missed the game again, have to watch in on DVR. Looks like it could have gone either way. I almost hate to ask who the pinata is going to be. I see the usual suspects are being mentioned at least. :angel:

One thing I will say is that the last 4 games we've lost close ones after having double digit leads. Either we're struggling defending late or the other team is playing out of their heads in the end.

Don't do it, man - giving up a 7-pointer at the end of the half and the atrocious last half minute. No reason for slitting your wrists when you can avoid it. Consider yourself lucky!

That "7-pointer" was ridiculous. As was Schroder's 3 at the buzzer to end the third. And giving up two threes to Nader ... ugh.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2020, 10:51:50 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Missed the game again, have to watch in on DVR. Looks like it could have gone either way. I almost hate to ask who the pinata is going to be. I see the usual suspects are being mentioned at least. :angel:

One thing I will say is that the last 4 games we've lost close ones after having double digit leads. Either we're struggling defending late or the other team is playing out of their heads in the end.

Don't do it, man - giving up a 7-pointer at the end of the half and the atrocious last half minute. No reason for slitting your wrists when you can avoid it. Consider yourself lucky!

That "7-pointer" was ridiculous. As was Schroder's 3 at the buzzer to end the third. And giving up two threes to Nader ... ugh.

Oh well. Happy for Nader at least he found a home somewhere I thought he would be out of the league by now. I still remember his 4 missed FTs in a row :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D