Author Topic: Whoa, Karl-Anthony Towns "Frustrated", Possibly To Be In Trade Talks  (Read 20278 times)

Re: Whoa, Karl-Anthony Towns "Frustrated", Possibly To Be In Trade Talks
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
In a heartbeat you make a major offer for Towns.

Would I center a franchise around him from scratch? Yeah maybe some question marks. But adding him to this team? All day every day.

We're talking about a guy who's team won 47 games and was +13 points better when he was on the court (per 100).

He shot 55/42/86 as a center. His offensive/ defensive ratings were 127/107.

He makes under $7M.

He's 22 years old.

The problem in MIN is Wiggins, hands down, not Towns.

The dilemma is that they would clearly want Brown or Tatum, and logically with Hayward coming back it would balance the roster to give in. But Boston isn't trading either of those guys.

SAC19, MEM19, LAC19, BOS18, Rozier, Baynes (salary) would be a homerun for us IMO.

TP. Anything not nailed down for Towns is a no brainer.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Dominican connection. IIRC Towns has the utmost respect for Horford and if you think about it their game compliment each other immensely. Horford as the unselfish, defensive minded facilitator and Towns as the efficient volume scorer.

If anyone could convince KAT to clamp down and become a passable defender it probably Horford.

It would probably take Tatum since I don't see Minny wanting Jaylen to pair with Butler/Wiggins but like byennie mentions in terms of roster balance Towns/Hayward is probably better than Tatum/Hayward.

Love this team as presently constructed but adding Karl Anthony Towns to our system could be a dynasty move in the vein of Durant to GSW.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:47:06 PM by Smartacus »

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 08:32:28 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Smart S&T, Morris, SAC pick, Boston 2018, LAC pick for KAT

Lol, I can't decide if this Steven A gif is a reaction indicating that this is a huge overpay, or that you think Minnesota immediately hangs up the phone...

Because I'm not quite understanding how you don't see how much better of a team this makes us?

Morris is essentially expendable with Hayward and Theiss coming back.
Smart will be a loss, but between Irving/Rozier/Brown/Smart/Larkin, is there really enough minutes to go around for all these guards?

Losing the picks suck, but what kind of player will we find next summer that is better than KAT with the Kings pick? The answer is zero. The Boston 2018 is likely traded for contract/minutes purposes anyway. And the LAC pick is a mid-lottery at best?

We are trading Smart, one great pick, and expendable/mid-quality parts for a dominant starting Center

Irving/Rozier/Larkin
Brown/Rozier
Hayward/Tatum/Semi/Yabu
Horford/Tatum/Theiss
KAT/Horford

Baynes walks, Nader/Allen/Bird ride the bench (and Yabu). Sign another vet minimum big. That is the most insanely talented and versatile 10-man rotation in the league.

Come playoff time, you have an 8-9 man rotation taking most of Larkins/Semi's minutes away.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 08:34:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As was stated, the solution is keeping Towns and trading Wiggins. That being said, Towns might want to start learning how to play defense before complaining about his offensive usage.

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 09:05:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
It'd be aweso.e to have a star in the mid to low 20s in usage.  We have too much top end talent for 1 guy to be above a 30
Its actually extremely normal for a championship team to have a player with a usage% over 30% and 3 players over 27% usage %.  Just check recent champions for proof.

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 09:11:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It'd be aweso.e to have a star in the mid to low 20s in usage.  We have too much top end talent for 1 guy to be above a 30
Its actually extremely normal for a championship team to have a player with a usage% over 30% and 3 players over 27% usage %.  Just check recent champions for proof.
2 guys in the 30's and one in the mid 20's has been working pretty well for GSW
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 09:13:03 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

GS? I cant look it up, but I imagine they play at a much faster pace.  Our pace slowed considerably this season. That could also reflect shots vs time of possession, right? GS does my have anyone pounding the ball
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 09:13:27 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Sorry wrong thread.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:18:41 PM by CelticsQuestFor18 »

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 09:16:19 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
In a heartbeat you make a major offer for Towns.

Would I center a franchise around him from scratch? Yeah maybe some question marks. But adding him to this team? All day every day.

We're talking about a guy who's team won 47 games and was +13 points better when he was on the court (per 100).

He shot 55/42/86 as a center. His offensive/ defensive ratings were 127/107.

He makes under $7M.

He's 22 years old.

The problem in MIN is Wiggins, hands down, not Towns.

The dilemma is that they would clearly want Brown or Tatum, and logically with Hayward coming back it would balance the roster to give in. But Boston isn't trading either of those guys.

SAC19, MEM19, LAC19, BOS18, Rozier, Baynes (salary) would be a homerun for us IMO.

TP. Anything not nailed down for Towns is a no brainer.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Dominican connection. IIRC Towns has the utmost respect for Horford and if you think about it their game compliment each other immensely. Horford as the unselfish, defensive minded facilitator and Towns as the efficient volume scorer.

If anyone could convince KAT to clamp down and become a passable defender it probably Horford.

It would probably take Tatum since I don't see Minny wanting Jaylen to pair with Butler/Wiggins but like byennie mentions in terms of roster balance Towns/Hayward is probably better than Tatum/Hayward.

Love this team as presently constructed but adding Karl Anthony Towns to our system could be a dynasty move in the vein of Durant to GSW.

Eh I'd much rather keep Tatum than trade him in a package for Towns.

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 09:16:32 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
As was stated, the solution is keeping Towns and trading Wiggins. That being said, Towns might want to start learning how to play defense before complaining about his offensive usage.

Sure, but they don't necessarily get to make that choice if Towns wants out and nobody wants Wiggins. The key variable here is Towns forcing his way out.

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 09:18:50 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's a huge underpay.  Twolves aren't going to accept just Smart, Morris and picks.

We're going to have to offer up someone of equivalent talent whether it's Brown, Tatum, Hayward, or Kyrie.  I don't think we will offer Kyrie because he's the guy here, and the salaries wouldn't match, and we don't want their bad salaries.

So it's probably going to be some package centered on those first 3 guys plus a lot of draft picks and possibly Terry Rozier as well.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y72fqp3l

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Lol, I can't decide if this Steven A gif is a reaction indicating that this is a huge overpay, or that you think Minnesota immediately hangs up the phone...

Because I'm not quite understanding how you don't see how much better of a team this makes us?

Morris is essentially expendable with Hayward and Theiss coming back.
Smart will be a loss, but between Irving/Rozier/Brown/Smart/Larkin, is there really enough minutes to go around for all these guards?

Losing the picks suck, but what kind of player will we find next summer that is better than KAT with the Kings pick? The answer is zero. The Boston 2018 is likely traded for contract/minutes purposes anyway. And the LAC pick is a mid-lottery at best?

We are trading Smart, one great pick, and expendable/mid-quality parts for a dominant starting Center

Irving/Rozier/Larkin
Brown/Rozier
Hayward/Tatum/Semi/Yabu
Horford/Tatum/Theiss
KAT/Horford

Baynes walks, Nader/Allen/Bird ride the bench (and Yabu). Sign another vet minimum big. That is the most insanely talented and versatile 10-man rotation in the league.

Come playoff time, you have an 8-9 man rotation taking most of Larkins/Semi's minutes away.

I believe it is an overpay on our part, BUT I realize I made a bit of a mistake. I thought you included the Grizzlies Pick in the package, but it's actually the Clippers Pick. My bad.

You make good points, but I'm still really skeptical about KAT's defense and "motor". He looked really underwhelming in the playoffs and many folks considered him "soft" in that series.

Also, I think Ainge does his best to keep Smart, who is currently the heart and soul of this C's team, and I'm not sure MIN wants Smart because they already got a "gritty bulldog" in Jimmy Butler. Rozier would have a more unique skillset that MIN could utilize. That said, they already have Teague and his 19M/Year contract to deal with lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 09:42:10 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Sure, but they don't necessarily get to make that choice if Towns wants out and nobody wants Wiggins. The key variable here is Towns forcing his way out.
Towns cannot take control of his future unless he is willing to play for the qualifying offer in 2019/20. Chances are, he won't do that. I mean, at the end of the day no matter how frustrated he may be, he would have to leave a ton of money on the table.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:49:31 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 09:48:08 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Towns cannot take conrol of his future unless he is willing to play for the qualifying offer in 2019/20.

Players "force" their way out despite contractual obligations all the time. Teams have little leverage once a player makes his wishes known. Same way a player kills his own trade value by saying he won't re-sign in certain places etc.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 09:51:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

GS? I cant look it up, but I imagine they play at a much faster pace.  Our pace slowed considerably this season. That could also reflect shots vs time of possession, right? GS does my have anyone pounding the ball
Pretty sure pace has anything to do with usage% so not seeing your point. Knowing your hatred of Kyrie I think this is your way of saying you don't think Kyrie having a usage % over 30% is good for this team but look at last year's GSW championship.

Curry 30.1% usage
Durant 27.8% usage
Thompson 26.1% usage

Now this year's Warriors

Curry 31% usage
Durant 30.4% usage
Thompson 23.7% usage

The Cavs during their championship year

Lebron 31.4% usage
Irving 29.5% usage
Love 23.4% usage

Its just normal to have a couple of stars with high usage(around 30 or more) and then another one or two with good usage (20-28%).

I expect Kyrie to lead this team in usage at over 30% next year and then could see 3 more players with 20-29% usage producing Kyrie being the leading scorer with 2-3(thinking 3)other guys scoring in the 15-21 point per game area.

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 09:52:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think if you wanted Towns it would mean losing pick 27, Horford, Rozier and Morris then take on Teague and Aldrich.

Wolves roll with= Rozier, Butler, Wiggins, Morris, Horford.
First bench three Crawford, Gibson, Deng.

C's then have= Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, KAT
With Teague, Semi, and Theis as first three guys off the bench.